1.4.0 released! - Year end report
(01-08-2016, 07:15 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Underclocking reduces the requirements in emulating the EE, and can offer a good speedup in a large amount of games. The overclock is meant to make the EE run faster than the real thing in hopes that it will remove framerate hiccups that the actual PS2 console would have had. It also helps the Kingdom hearts 60fps patch actually keep the game at 60fps, as that patch causes the game to become bottlenecked by the EE.

Oh, I see. So if I already run games at 100% emulation speed, with barely 20% system usage, then changing the EE won't have any real benefit for me.
Thanks for the explanation.

A side note here - Did i already mention barely 20% system resources usage? If that's not clean and optimized programming, then i don't know what is. You guys are experts and it shows.

Sponsored links

(01-08-2016, 07:09 PM)Canes Wrote: Congratulations guys on the solid release. Just one question though, what is EE overclocking/underclocking supposed to do anyway?, Is it something like 30 fps vs 60 fps kind of thing?

Here's one of my post on reddit explaining about underclocking:

Quote:here's a rough example:-

A processor "Super Lame 7 (SL7)" is clocked at 500MHZ  and runs an application which only requires less resources from the processor. maybe let's assume that It'll be satisfied even with something like 200MHZ. so the extra clock speed / processor resources isn't really necessary and it eventually is unused and we don't have any problem with it.

but let's consider another scenario where we're emulating the processor which is clocked at 500MHZ and trying to run any process / application on it. as explained earlier the application would be fine with even a clockspeed of 200MHZ, so why are we also emulating the processor at it's original clock speed when even 200MHZ is enough for the specific application ? that's the logic behind the idea of underclocking. we're shortening the processor resources required for emulating SL7 ( imaginary processor ) by underclocking while reducing the processor resources required for emulating the processor and by also making sure that the specific application is satisfied with the decrease in clockspeed. that's one of the scenarios where underclocking would be ideal Wink

Additionally Rama had also mentioned that some games use idle loops to just buy time when waiting for other data to be sent to the EE. Such idle loops aren't done when EE is at heavy load so underclocking would also help on preventing such idle loops.

About overclocking: Ah.. Too lazy to explain. You can probably search the forums for some of my older posts / other posts explaining the overclock function.
Nice! I also think it's worth mentioning the amount of widescreen patches.

1.2.0 / 1.2.1. = 1194
1.4.0/ = 1994

That's 800 more widescreen patches! (And some of the original 1194 were improved)
(01-08-2016, 01:09 PM)Bositman Wrote: The new debugger features a live disassembly view and allows developers to debug games way easier than before while being very useful feature in assisting the debugging of games which aren't working properly. Its main purpose is aiding in game hacking, translation patches for example.

(Finding this in the Quote was hard...)
I've been told by one translation project that PCSX2 was not nearly accurate enough to be used for aiding in translations / reverse engineering.

Also, 1.4.0 uses inis_1.4.0, I would rather not have to keep copying things like controller (or other plugin) configs between different PCSX2 versions (I.e. git and 1.4) could you revert that change please.

Excluding the above inis issue, Good work to all who contributed.
I think the Buildbot site needs to be updated.

http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

It says "The Windows build has been made with Visual C++ 2013. You need to install the Visual C++ 2013 (x86) runtime package to run it."

The 2013 needs to be changed to 2015. I'm not sure if you need 2013 as a prerequisite.
(01-08-2016, 07:33 PM)ssakash Wrote: Here's one of my post on reddit explaining about underclocking:

Additionally Rama had also mentioned that some games use idle loops to just buy time when waiting for other data to be sent to the EE. Such idle loops aren't done when EE is at heavy load so underclocking would also help on preventing such idle loops.

About overclocking: Ah.. Too lazy to explain. You can probably search the forums for some of my older posts / other posts explaining the overclock function.

Ah, that's an even better explanation, thank you. I suppose though that we can't really be sure what games use less/more resources without tweaking the EE for each individual game. Can I also assume it's safe to say, if underclocking the EE and the game still runs at 100% emulation speed then the game in question uses less resources then we're currently emulating and it's safe to underclock to save cpu cycles etc.?

Also, can i ask what's the reddit page you posted on, I would love to follow you.
(01-08-2016, 07:49 PM)Canes Wrote: Ah, that's an even better explanation, thank you. I suppose though that we can't really be sure what games use less/more resources without tweaking the EE for each individual game. Can I also assume it's safe to say, if underclocking the EE and the game still runs at 100% emulation speed then the game in question uses less resources then we're currently emulating and it's safe to underclock to save cpu cycles etc.?

Yes, there is a certain limit for this though. If you decrease it even further then the virtual state of the console wil be significantly weakend and the EE will be a bottleneck.

Quote:Also, can i ask what's the reddit page you posted on, I would love to follow you.

I posted it on the subreddit over here : https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comme..._released/

Though do note that I don't usually hang around at reddit.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(01-08-2016, 08:16 PM)ssakash Wrote: Yes, there is a certain limit for this though. If you decrease it even further then the virtual state of the console wil be significantly weakend and the EE will be a bottleneck.

I posted it on the subreddit over here : https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comme..._released/

Though do note that I don't usually hang around at reddit.

Okay, makes sense, thanks again. I'll just leave the EE at it's default value, just to be on the safe side.

By the way, I'm not sure where to post this bug report, or if its a bug at all, but dwm.exe (Desktop Window Manager) uses about 25% of my GPU resources when playing a game on PCSX2. That kind of makes no sense to me since it's not at all related to the emulator, but i'll leave it here, maybe you guys can investigate it further. I have disabled desktop composition for pcsx2.exe though so it does not bother me either way.
didnt say it yet, but great Job guys Wink
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Thank you for the report. Congratulations. Is it possible to convert save states created by version 1.0.0 to make them loadable by version 1.4.0?