Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13 inch Macbooks.
Hello,
I'm pondering whether to buy a high end 13 inch, and one of the thing I want to do, is to finally play and complete Metal Gear Solid 3, and maybe play again Metal Gear Solid 2 Smile
I just wanted to know if anyone has a Macbook Pro 13 inch i7 2.7GHZ Model, Graphics Intel 3000 and their experiences of it?
Also, I was thinking of the 15 inch, but for what i'm going to use it for, i dont think it could justify the high price for it.
Many thanks, this could sway me Smile

Sponsored links

As I understand it MGS3 is one of the most demanding games currently playable you wont get fullspeed on any laptop or hardly any desktop for that matter.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
You won't get anywhere near full speed for MGS3 on that system. There are people with top of the line video cards with processors clocked in the 4ghz range that still don't get full speed most of the time. This is sadly a limitation with emulating this game in particular.

To give an example, my main PC is a Phenom x2 at 3.8ghz with a ATi 5770 and I got results from about 40fps in game to 20 or less in cutscenes... Far below what most people would consider enjoyable, though a few people may find it playable. The machine you list would probably get about 1/2 to 2/3rds that.

(edit) Beat to the punch, still added information Wink
[Image: 2748844.png]
Damn, i suppose the 15 inch model won't be any different really, as this emulator doesn't support quad core processors for now?
There is no immediate plans to add quad core support. Even when/if it's added there is only so much than can be done on other cores as you'll still be forced to wait on whatever the slowest component that's being emulated (probably the EE in most cases) so it won't be like if you have 4 cores you can expect a 100% increase over 2 cores.
I should of explained better, but the graphics on the 15 inch are an AMD 6490, could that improve it in any way? And having it on Windows 7 64 bit with the latest SVN could possibly gain any additional frame rates do you think?
The 6490 would definitely improve the framerate and make it less likely that you'd be held back by graphics (intel onboard are terrible for pcsx2) but you would still not achieve playable framerates in MGS3. There just aren't any laptops yet in any platform that can really handle MGS3 emulation via PS2 and likely won't be for quite a while since, as mentioned above, top of the line desktop PCs still have issues.
That's a shame, but still amazing that a load of other games can be emulated to near perfection, what about ZOE 2nd Runner and even MGS 2? I know there's a compatibility list, but i'd like to just know of any user experiences, like yours if you've got any favorite games you try on it? Smile
Pretty much all Hideo Kojima games (ZOE and MGS series/saga) are pretty damn demanding.