2015: Which hardware is good enough?
Hey everyone! I am new to the forums, but not to the emulator.

My request here is I plan on making a new desktop computer with the parts that I planned, what I don't know is what CPU to choose. Here are the specs of my current system as of today:

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350
GPU: ZOTAC Getforce 610 Series
RAM 4 GBs
Motherboard: MSI AM1i

Here's the hardware I want to get:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
GPU: MSI NVidia GTX TITAN X
RAM: 8 GBs
OS Same as above
Motherboard: MSI Z170A TITANIUM Edition

Here's the CPUs I don't know what to get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...k=i5-4670k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819117369

So, the question is,

All the hardware I want to get, is it more than enough for what I need, or do I need to choose a different CPU and start over? The planned CPU and motherboard sockets are LGA 1151, the two links above are LGA 1150, and I don't think I would be able to put a LGA 1150 CPU into a LGA 1151 motherboard. I also want to know that when I'm recording Open Broadcaster Software videos, is the hardware best to use so when I'm recording my computer or not, can I play the games like Bully, Spider-man 2 and other games without any lag or slowdowns, or do I need another CPU to choose from?

Sponsored links

The Titan X is a complete waste. The 980 Ti is just as fast, and can overclock better. Skylake may have issues with new PCSX2 builds, so I'm not sure I'd go with a 6700K myself. The 4790K would probably be the best if you plan on doing a lot of PCSX2 recording because of hyperthreading and the lack of issues with PCSX2 builds. For some reason, a few people have reported issues with the 6700K having slowdowns when using the software renderer. The 4790K is also cheaper, though you won't be able to use RAM if you build a new PC in a few years, unlike skylake that uses DDR4. Either CPU is incredibly quick and more than enough for PCSX2. I'd just recommend getting a good aftermarket cooler and overclocking them to the 4.2-4.8ghz range.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(12-03-2015, 12:19 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: The Titan X is a complete waste. The 980 Ti is just as fast, and can overclock better. Skylake may have issues with new PCSX2 builds, so  I'm not sure I'd go with a 6700K myself. The 4790K would probably be the best if you plan on doing a lot of PCSX2 recording because of hyperthreading and the lack of issues with PCSX2 builds. For some reason, a few people have reported issues with the 6700K having slowdowns when using the software renderer. The 4790K is also cheaper, though you won't be able to use RAM if you build a new PC in a few years, unlike skylake that uses DDR4. Either CPU is incredibly quick and more than enough for PCSX2. I'd just recommend getting a good aftermarket cooler and overclocking them to the 4.2-4.8ghz range.

Okay, so this meaning, "The 6700K might not be a great choice due to slowdowns, and people have also reported those kinds of problems. Shortly, you would need a different motherboard and avoid the 6700K CPU" if I got the message right. Do you think I should use another CPU instead of the one I want to get? If so, do you know any prosesser that runs the games on the emulator perfect without lag or slowdowns, (with most games due to them being improved because of great hardware) has Intel Quick Sync, Virtualization Technology, along with gaming while streaming altogether?
You might read here about the skylake stuff https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/998

We currently haven't pinned it down but it seems to only happen on skylake i7s
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-03-2015, 12:50 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: You might read here about the skylake stuff https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/998

We currently haven't pinned it down but it seems to only happen on skylake i7s

I know what Skylake is, but thanks for the link. The link talks about the Software GPU setting, so I use the hardware to make it run more faster. Also, is there a difference between these settings?

If anyone has a Intel CPU with these:

Intel Quick Sync
Virtualization Technology
Intel 64

send me a link of that CPU on Newegg or Amazon.
Some games still require a sw emulated GS. In such a case the current codebase possibly slows you down if you use skylake i7's. I would rather guess it will be fixed - either by MS/intel or by us. Depends on who was to stupid.

The question is probably why you buy such a pc. Probably not only for pcsx2, or? Depending on your needs you should get skylake or not.
(12-03-2015, 03:20 AM)willkuer Wrote: Some games still require a sw emulated GS. In such a case the current codebase possibly slows you down if you use skylake i7's. I would rather guess it will be fixed - either by MS/intel or by us. Depends on who was to stupid.

The question is probably why you buy such a pc. Probably not only for pcsx2, or? Depending on your needs you should get skylake or not.

I am building a custom made PC for the emulator.
If it's custom made for this emulator then you are going about things way wrong. You're spending way too much on both CPU and GPU - basically you are just going for the most powerful hardware without understanding what you really need.

Let's start from the beginning: Are you really building this PC only for PCSX2 and nothing else?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Just for you to have an idea, my old gtx 580 + i7 950 can run almost all ps2 games at full speed or very close - at least almost all the games I tried-. But there are some games - very few - that will never run 100% smooth no matter what hardware you get.

Getting a high spec rig won't fix bugs in the emulator, and won't be much better than an average gaming laptop for PCSX2 - unless you use turbo a lot -.
(12-03-2015, 05:56 AM)K.F Wrote: Just for you to have an idea, my old gtx 580 + i7 950 can run almost all ps2 games at full speed or very close - at least almost all the games I tried-. But there are some games - very few - that will never run 100% smooth no matter what hardware you get.

Getting a high spec rig won't fix bugs in the emulator, and won't be much better than an average gaming laptop for PCSX2 - unless you use turbo a lot -.

Yeah, I see that. That's my plan to make a great computer and turbo it a bunch of times.