256mb vs 512mb in Video Card
He guys. was looking at the dell studio 15 and was wondering if there was a huge difference in the shared memory in the graphics card.
Specs:
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 Video Card
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache) 4gb ram as well.
Let me know guys.

Sponsored links

Twice as much memory is better. Dedicated vs shared...dedicated wins.
(11-14-2009, 12:40 AM)snoman Wrote: Not quite the comp. geek, but shared memory on an integrated chip sucks. You don't get all 256 mb dedicated to games and such. 512mb dedicated (stand alone card) is an evil boost.
ok. so basically, a 512mb is much better than and worth the money:?
Well generally that depends on the GPU of the graphics card and how much it is able to utilise technically. Otherwise it'll use all the memory on graphics card then the vanilla RAM. I'm not exactly a pro @ things like this but i think for the 4570 512mb sohuld be better. But i'm not sure how much more ur paying for it.
If they're both dedicated, it's about 1% in difference of performance unless you play Doom 3 or GTA IV.

Memory is relatively insignificant over 256mb, type of memory/its frequency is however.
Desktop: "Tuna-PC"
[email protected]
evga 260gtx c216
4gb ram

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite Fusion
[email protected]
Radeon 3650M
4gb ram
most of my gamings will be done on pcsx2.
hm..ok.. they are both dedicated memories (256mb and 512mb) on the ATI 4570
specs are listed here
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mob...885.0.html
if it doesn't make THAT much of a difference, i might just go with the 256mb then.
how about the CPU guys. is T6600 good enough?
any more thoughts guys? would help me a lot
More video card RAM only affects the amount of textures you can load without running out of RAM. Higher resolutions and AA and AF will use up more RAM, but if the GPU is too weak to run games at high resolutions in the first place, there's little point in having more RAM.

On weaker GPUs (4570 is pretty weak), there would be little difference between 256MB and 512MB, and almost non-existent between 512MB and 1GB.

The T6600 is only clocked at 2.2Ghz, whereas the recommended specs are a dual core clocked at 3.2Ghz or above.

Both the CPU and GPU will probably be too weak to run a lot of games at full speeds at higher resolutions, though you can try using speed hacks and latest public beta. Native resolution *should* be fine for a lot, if not most, games...
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
(11-14-2009, 01:56 AM)boogerthe2nd Wrote: More video card RAM only affects the amount of textures you can load without running out of RAM. Higher resolutions and AA and AF will use up more RAM, but if the GPU is too weak to run games at high resolutions in the first place, there's little point in having more RAM.

On weaker GPUs (4570 is pretty weak), there would be little difference between 256MB and 512MB, and almost non-existent between 512MB and 1GB.
about the CPU..
I had the dv4-2040us or somethin that had the AMD Turion II tech, at 2.2 ghz with a ATI 4200 graphics card and FFXII ran pretty smoothly with the speed hack pcsx2.

well its a graphic card for a laptop and in the class 2 category, so i believe it's not THAT bad. It's also a pretty brand new chip that came out this year. hmm...so for a laptop graphics card, it's still weak?
How about if you compare it to a Nvidia GeFore Go 8600 GT (256mb)
The fact that it is a laptop graphics card implies it's even weaker than its desktop counterpart, as it's designed with power efficiency and less heat production in mind, not pure gaming performance.

Just because it's not a relatively weak card for a laptop graphics card, doesn't change the fact that it's a relatively weak card overall (since all laptop graphics cards are weaker) and therefore you won't be able to run at higher resolutions to use up the extra RAM anyway.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]