40 FPS (During drops) in MGS3, best I can shoot for?
Welcome all. First time poster.

So, a few months ago I got a new computer. It's by no means bleeding edge, a 955 BE (GTX 560 TI) but I figured I could get an AM3+ Mobo and upgrade down the line (Ha, that might not happen after all....) Anyway, I knew about PSX2 before, but with my old P4 2.6 Ghz I could never even begin to play games. Now with my new computer, I want to dust off all the old PS2 game I never play thanks to TWO broken PS2s.

That said, I am a little surprised (Though I do understand) that this processor has some trouble with games. I have, as I said, a AMD 955 BE (Windows 7) and tried to run MGS3 Subsistence, but the framerate is tending to drop on me.

The Processor is overclocked to 3.8 Ghz. I have enabled one level of the VU cycle stealing (Any more and the game just slows down noticeably, even if the framerate stays.) I've enabled DX11 hardware as well.

I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can try to boost performance, or if this is generally what I can expect.

Sponsored links

MGS4 is for PS3 systems only but how did you run it on pcsx2?
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
I'm THAT good.

(I meant MGS3, Snake eater, subsistence edition, sorry for confusion.)
If you play that game with pcsx2 0.98 then try with latest SVN with MTVU hack for triple core cpu if make any better result. This for link download >> http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
Exactly what I was looking for.

Hmm. Some slightly mixed results. The Framerate has improved a bit, but where before it was the EE that was always at 100, now it's the GS that seems to be the bottleneck.
if thats the case u could running the game at native,......i heard scaling 2x or 3x boosts some games....try these and see if it helps
3.8GHz on an AMD CPU is not enough for this game. Your GPU should be good enough for this game.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured.

Jeez though. I never would have thought it'd take one of the Core i5-7 to run these games.

Anyway, thanks for the help all.
Make that an overclocked Core iSeries and a high-end graphics card.
Yeah :/

The only i series I was really looking at was the 2400, and I'm not sure that'd have been able to run this either (Since it can't be OCed very easily) so I'm not that sad. Still seems crazy this tech is requiring such advanced components.