[4K Downsampling Experiments]
(11-22-2014, 05:18 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Yes, you are very correct. We get people who even get ANGRY at us that PCSX2 won't run on their old hardware.

Even among emulation, PCSX2 is especially demanding due to having so many things to emulate - EE, GS, VU0, VU1, etc.

And it becomes further complicated because each game has different requirements. A comparatively weak machine can run Ar tonelico type games just fine in PCSX2. That same machine would find a game like Xenosaga unplayably slow. So we get questions like "Why is X slow, when Y isn't?"

And worst of all we get "But I can run Skyrim on medium! I should be able to emulate a lowly PS2 game. Obviously this emulator is *****"

or whatever.

It's hard to be patient, at times. lol

[I can imagine! I would itch to slap such people. I would stay my hand, of course; I do not fancy a ban. It's just frustrating. I often work on computers for people who are trying to run the latest Photoshop, the latest computer games, etc, and I often have to inform them their best course of action is to buy a new PC. They get so offended! People cling to their mobile devices like a child to a tattered blanket. Tell them their seven year old PC cannot be upgraded any further/cannot run the latest software, and they crucify you. Tell them they won't be as cool as everyone else if they don't have the latest smart phone, and they shell out 800 dollars a YEAR!! Maddening!]
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Intel Core i7 3770K
EVGA Superclocked GTX 660 2 GB
Sound BlasterRecon 3D Fatal1ty
Samsung Evo 840 120 GB SSD
Seagate 4 TB HDD | Seagate 3TB HDD | Seagate 2 TB HDD

Sponsored links

(11-22-2014, 05:18 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Yes, you are very correct. We get people who even get ANGRY at us that PCSX2 won't run on their old hardware.

Even among emulation, PCSX2 is especially demanding due to having so many things to emulate - EE, GS, VU0, VU1, etc.

And it becomes further complicated because each game has different requirements. A comparatively weak machine can run Ar tonelico type games just fine in PCSX2. That same machine would find a game like Xenosaga unplayably slow. So we get questions like "Why is X slow, when Y isn't?"

And worst of all we get "But I can run Skyrim on medium! I should be able to emulate a lowly PS2 game. Obviously this emulator is *****"

or whatever.

It's hard to be patient, at times. lol

I still remember the guy who practically threatened us with saying he'll quit trying to make pcsx2 work because it's crap and use some other PS2 emulator. It gave me a good chuckle Tongue
(11-22-2014, 05:25 PM)[AlexanderTheNine] Wrote: [I can imagine! I would itch to slap such people. I would stay my hand, of course; I do not fancy a ban. It's just frustrating. I often work on computers for people who are trying to run the latest Photoshop, the latest computer games, etc, and I often have to inform them their best course of action is to buy a new PC. They get so offended! People cling to their mobile devices like a child to a tattered blanket. Tell them their seven year old PC cannot be upgraded any further/cannot run the latest software, and they crucify you. Tell them they won't be as cool as everyone else if they don't have the latest smart phone, and they shell out 800 dollars a YEAR!! Maddening!]

(I accidentally posted this in the other thread earlier, oops)

Well, if you stick around, you will find that the regulars on this forum are all pretty knowledgeable and friendly. The ones that cause problems are mostly "Drive by" type issues lol.

As for me, I have a degree in computer science, and 13 months of experience providing tech support on this forum. Most of the time, I find it enjoyable to help people, and they are quite thankful when their problems are solved.

I think the worst though is when people come on here, ask a question, and when we answer it, they tell us we are wrong. WTF, I just don't get that. "I'll go ask these guys who spend hours every day doing this, but I won't listen to their response"

Anyway, we are getting off topic, and it's my fault again(I tend to do this a lot... bad moderator! Lol.)
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
[Well, I certainly contributed to the derailment]

(11-22-2014, 05:26 PM)Coornio Wrote: I still remember the guy who practically threatened us with saying he'll quit trying to make pcsx2 work because it's crap and use some other PS2 emulator. It gave me a good chuckle Tongue

[Some other PS2 emulator? Hard to imagine such a creature! xD]
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Intel Core i7 3770K
There is one other emulator that currently goes in game for a few games. It's very recent, and certainly not ready for mainstream use.

http://purei.org/

Anyway, if we want to continue this type discussion, that's what my super big thread is for Tongue2 http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Bored-Post-here
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-22-2014, 05:33 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Anyway, if we want to continue this type discussion, that's what my super big thread is for Tongue2 http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Bored-Post-here

No i wouldn't suggest that. So many people post so many different things there i don't even bother since any post is quickly buried by 10 more within the next 10 minutes. It's like saying "this tank isn't right for your fish, here, let me throw it in the ocean".
Well, conversations grow and die there all the time. That's what it's for. I originally made that thread for myself, before I was a moderator, so I could avoid getting in trouble for off topic lol.
(11-22-2014, 05:39 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Well, conversations grow and die there all the time. That's what it's for. I originally made that thread for myself, before I was a moderator, so I could avoid getting in trouble for off topic lol.

I'd rather be warned for off topic than post in a reply mass graveyard Tongue2

EDIT: i'll shut up now >_>
Down-sampling from higher resolution is one of the oldest and one of the worst anti-aliasing methods. Any decent AA method -like MSAA (Multisample anti-aliasing)- takes more samples ONLY where they are needed, while Down-sampling takes more samples for the whole screen whether it needs it or not. Down-sampling has its uses, since it is much easier to implement than a real AA technique.
(11-22-2014, 05:58 PM)K.F Wrote: Down-sampling from higher resolution is one of the oldest and one of the worst anti-aliasing methods. Any decent AA method -like MSAA (Multisample anti-aliasing)- takes more samples ONLY where they are needed, while Down-sampling takes more samples for the whole screen whether it needs it or not. Down-sampling has its uses, since it is much easier to implement than a real AA technique.

[When I downsample, I yield a much higher image quality than with MSAA or other AA methods alone, so I do not agree with you. In fact, I wouldn't really consider it a true anti aliasing method. An anti aliasing effect smooths out jagged lines by blurring/altering edges. It works on these alone. Downsampling affects the entire picture, so how could that be considered an anti aliasing technique?]
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Intel Core i7 3770K