Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5970 or 2x 5870?
wich would be the better choice?
i am currently planning on a 5970 in my future pc planned in may and will definitly overclock it atleast at 5870 clocks/as far as i can
a 5970 is quite a lot cheaper here than 2x 5870
[Image: 1454055.png]

Sponsored links

It's (basically) the same thing, if I remember correctly..... Or not. Just looked at the stats. I believe its basically just 2 5870s on one board so you'd most likely get extremely similar results from either. So... I'd go for whatever is cheaper. Unless temperature is a large issue, or you're going for super overclocks, then according to your set up, you'd need to choose.

Wow. I just reread that, and I make no sense. Basically, there won't be much difference. Grab the cheaper one(s).
temperature won't be an issue, i am not going for a card with a reference cooler
i hope sapphire will release it's 4GB 5970 soon
[Image: 1267537206.jpeg]

looks like it has some serious overclocking potential
Long card is long, so it is a matter of layout.
2 5870 will likely take up all the space at the bottom of your board and will definitely block a few connectors at the bottom left corner.
A 5970 will at least leave some space at the bottom, but, again, long card. Definitely will not fit most mid towers and might get in the way of the hard drive bay (depending on where the bay is located).

Also, 2 5870 will run hotter, because there's less room for air intake. Probably draw more power, too.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
just curious, what need to you have for a 4 Gb videocard? extreme gaming at about 6000 x 2000 resolution or something? Cuz that's not that kinda card you throw in your workstation, or use for any sane person activity (kidding! ish)
damn that's a long card
(04-09-2010, 05:01 AM)Urisma Wrote: just curious, what need to you have for a 4 Gb videocard? extreme gaming at about 6000 x 2000 resolution or something? Cuz that's not that kinda card you throw in your workstation, or use for any sane person activity (kidding! ish)

it's going to be a high end gaming rig/3D design pc
don't forgot that the 4GB is split between the GPU's
each one has 2GB and they will both calculate the same things
hence i think a 4GB 5970 is usefull if i want to go full AA and stuff like that at full hd +
Not really, even at full AA and the max resolution your monitor will support (except if it's like 3000x3000 or something) the card is pretty much overkill Tongue
3D design is a different thing altogether.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
well 1GB slightly isn't enough on some occasions allready (GTA needs slightly more than 1GB to have everything maxed at full HD +)
full 2GB itself might be overkill but i don't see a 3GB 5970 coming anytime soon
i know 3D design is a different thing, hence i am trowing in an i7 980x as well
i was just stating what the pc would be used for
@Bositman
Unless he's using an Eyefinity setup which spans the length of multiple LCD monitors.
A 5970 is pretty much future-proof in case he wants to use a 3x2 monitors setup. =b
Intel C2D E6550 2.33GHz (OC@2.8GHz)
Corsair CM2X1024 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 DRAM
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.