Poll: How badly do you want a 64 bit version of PCSX2?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Strongly want
24.00%
6 24.00%
Want
16.00%
4 16.00%
Don't care
28.00%
7 28.00%
Not really
4.00%
1 4.00%
Not at all
28.00%
7 28.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

64 Bit
I know in the past it was decided that for the time being a 64 bit version of PCSX2 would no longer be supported for various reasons. As that was several years ago I was wondering if that were going to be re-considered any time soon as more people have a 64 bit OS now.

Also, why is there little to no speed benefit if the Emotion Engine for the PS2 is 128 bit and the main processor is 64 bit?

Sponsored links

beside the in depth technical sh*t about 32 64 and 128 and the EE, blah blah blah...

factually the 64 bit version of pcsx2 has proven to not be faster, so there won't be one again. end of story.
The 32 bit works perfectly in a 64 bit Windows.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

Not going to happen, and there's no need for it. It has nothing to do with how many people have 64bit OS' either...
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
I don't care i guess
What they said -- there's no real gain from it. I use many 32bit apps and they all work just fine in 64bit Windows 7.
Just to chime in an official word.

There is no benifit for us with 64bit, we "shouldn't" need the extra memory space and the 64bit instruction set will provide such a small benifit it is completely overshadowed by the work involved.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Really? I don't care of 64-bit. Well, anyways pcsx2 runs well under 64-bit OS too and PCSX2 is will use the Same Memory Interface/Bus/Chips/Processor etc. even on a 64-bit which will make the overall performance increase very little unless PCSX2 really needs to use the real 64-bit data.

Well, anyways, pcsx2 is not memory demanding, so if anyone wants a good speed, they had better get a new CPU (Faster) and a new GPU Tongue2
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
(06-20-2013, 11:20 AM)refraction Wrote: Just to chime in an official word.

There is no benifit for us with 64bit, we "shouldn't" need the extra memory space and the 64bit instruction set will provide such a small benifit it is completely overshadowed by the work involved.

To expand this, the only reason to switch to 64-bits beyond what has already been stated would be to "future proof" PCSX2. Since 32bit x86 compatibility isn't likely to be dropped any time in the next 10 years or more (note Windows only officially dropped dos support on 64-bit systems, and still has compatibility layers in 32-bit versions of Windows 7!).

(Edit) Also... polls that exist to try and tell developers how to handle their projects are kind of insulting.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Once the x64 dynarecs are created and brought up to speed and optimized with the same level of care and attention as the current x86 dynarecs, what do you have to show for it? Easier build process on loonix x64 machines? At most 5% overall increased efficiency of CPU usage? Not to mention everything that you'll have lost, which would be whatever improvements to other parts of the emulator were not done due to effort spent on x64 dynarecs.

Meh.