64 bit build?
Would it be worth compiling? I've been thinking about this for a little bit since I have a somewhat older system and would like to get that bit of extra performance using the 64 bit architecture. I noticed an old thread saying it couldn't be done. Has this changed? Has anyone done a 64 bit compile? How have your results been? Which version of Visual Studio would you recommend to do the build with?

Thank you ahead of time. Smile

(If something like this was already answered, sorry but I couldn't find it)

Sponsored links

It won't work since that would require a huge rewrite of the program to get any speed benefits.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Not to mention that the speed bonus wouldn't be that high either.
(11-09-2012, 12:17 PM)andutrache Wrote: Not to mention that the speed bonus wouldn't be that high either.

Referring to a complete rewrite, yeah it wouldn't be worth it. If PCSX2 was new, however, it would be worth something I'd assume.
(11-09-2012, 12:46 PM)Amak Wrote: Referring to a complete rewrite, yeah it wouldn't be worth it. If PCSX2 was new, however, it would be worth something I'd assume.

Not really. Many people are under the illusion that 64bit can bring performance improvements over 32bit, it's a completely false scenario. The most 64bit can bring is more memory space, but considering the combined memory of the original system was less than 100mb, we don't "really" need more than 2gb of ram.

There are too few scenarios where having 64bit wide registers will really help greatly, you can already move 128bits in one go with SSE.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(11-09-2012, 12:54 PM)refraction Wrote: There are too few scenarios where having 64bit wide registers will really help greatly, you can already move 128bits in one go with SSE.
All that wouldn't benefit more than 2-4 fps and then only in places that are prone to fps hiccups...
(11-09-2012, 03:03 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: All that wouldn't benefit more than 2-4 fps and then only in places that are prone to fps hiccups...

TBH i don't think it would even help that much.

Is the numbers scenarios that benefit from having 8 more GPR and XMM registers also too few?
(11-09-2012, 04:15 PM)DaMan Wrote: Is the numbers scenarios that benefit from having 8 more GPR and XMM registers also too few?

That is essentially the only advantage. it would reduce the moving around of data when using recompilers, by how much depends on how many registers the game accesses in one go.

on the flip side of that, there are more registers to write back at the end of a recompiled block, which could essentially negate the difference.

The only speed increase I can think of is processor designers aren't paying much attention to 32 bit performance using the IA32 IS, they are focusing on the AM64 instructions now. But that wouldn't be worth more than 10 fps until a little while in the future. Definitely not worth a rewrite.