9800GT 1GB, FX 6100 3.3Ghz. Still slow.
Just popped in a 6 core 3.3 Ghz AMD FX 6100 CPU to go with my 9800GT with 1 gig, 8 gig DDR3. Windows 10.

Didn't make a bit of difference on Ratchet and Clank from a 3.2 Ghz Phenom II quad core. During the intro most of the time it's hitting 100% but once in the game it drops to 50% or worse when there's a lot of stuff visible. Turn around to a view with less detail and it'll crawl back up to 100% speed.

Selected SSE2 for GS. Checked the MTVU box in speed hacks.

What else do I need to do to get the emulator up to speed?

Sponsored links

Ratched and Clank series are very demanding games. The FX-6100 only has an STP of 1182, whereas your old CPU actually had a little bit higher than that, so you didn't actually improve your system all that much for when it comes to emulating PS2 games.

You can try setting EE Cyclerate to -1 or -2 and VU Cycle Stealing to 1 or 2, but other than that there's not much you can do besides getting a more powerful PC.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
He can also try overclocking the cpu.
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
Like Ryudo Said U Need To Play With D EE and vc settings. that might do the trick
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core I5 4670 3.4GHz
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Radeon HD 7770 2GB
unfortunately, AMD faildozer architecture is known to perform badly on single threaded applications.
better keep playing on your PS2 until you can afford a decent machine
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
This is a Zambezi CPU. Got it from South Korea because Asian sources were the only places I could find that had the 95W TDP version. In the US I could only find the 125W TDP version. Motherboard is rated for up to 140W CPUs but I saw no reason to waste so much more power, and have to buy a bigger cooler than the one that worked fine on the Phenom II 550 (unlocked to quad core) with the same 95W TDP.

My real PS2 is the last model of the fat ones, the first with metal laser sled. Cost me a whole $10 at a yard sale, with Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando in the drive. Had to take it apart to get the disc out because part of the disc tray was broken. A bit of work with a piece of plastic and super glue, and boiling the drive belt for a few seconds had it up and running.

CPU-Z info. I see this one supports SSSE3 and AVX. *tries AVX version of plugin, still slow in R&C* Looks like I'll have to stick to simpler games in emulation until PCSX2 is better able to take advantage of multiple CPU cores.

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 6 (max 6)
Number of threads 6 (max 6)
Name AMD FX-6100
Codename Zambezi
Specification AMD FX™-6100 Six-Core Processor
Package Socket AM3+ (942)
CPUID F.1.2
Extended CPUID 15.1
Core Stepping OR-B2
Technology 32 nm
TDP Limit 95.0 Watts
Core Speed 1399.4 MHz
Multiplier x Bus Speed 7.0 x 199.9 MHz
Rated Bus speed 1999.2 MHz
Stock frequency 3300 MHz
Instructions sets MMX (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, SSE4A, x86-64, AES, AVX, XOP, FMA4
Its not a problem with multiple cpu cores that is the issue here. pcsx2 uses them just fine. The problem is that the Single thread performance is lower then recommended. the ps2 has 3-4 separate cpu's that work in conjunction with one another on a synced level pc cpus cannot do. So a lot of the power from our cpus is to keep the emulated cpus synced. As much as i don't want to agree that amd cpu's are terrible for STP its true.. this isnt an issue with pcsx2 needing more work. its an issue that modern pc cpus just can't sync data fast enough. Even the top intel processors have issues emulating ps2 games.
[Image: xckarn-5.png]