A Question about the GS plugins.
I am wondering why shadows haven't been fixed for the emulator yet? it seems the only thing that never works really at all is shadows in the games, what si the reason for this? I am wondering because it causes a slightly annoying graphical bug in somegames like Dot hack G.U Series: Here is a thread I posted on the issue: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Is-there-...-GU-Series

My Question is, for how long pcsx2 has been in dev and all the people working on it, why hasn't anyone been able to get shadows to work properly? I love the emulator but this one issue kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. As you can see in my thread about dot hack GU, the problem the shadows nto working causes, I've tried native res, still does it, scaled up res, still does it, only way to stop that shadow to the left and have the shadows work, is software mode, which as you know, looks like ass with 3D polygon-based games. What I was wondering also is wouldn't there be a way to code the Graphics plugin so it can use software mode for some parts of the rendering (user configurable) and hardware for the rest? Even if we could just get software mode shadows to work while running the rest in hardware mode would do the trick.

Sponsored links

as far as I know, shadows are removed in many games because they tend to produce unwanted glitches most of the time (i.e. GoW 2)
Quote:What I was wondering also is wouldn't there be a way to code the Graphics plugin so it can use software mode for some parts of the rendering (user configurable) and hardware for the rest?
if you find a way to do this, post your piece of code here : http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/ but I don't think it's possible to render an ingame scene using 2 differents engines at the same time.
Quote:only way to stop that shadow to the left and have the shadows work, is software mode, which as you know, looks like ass with 3D polygon-based games.
not really.
it just exactly looks like your PS2, in the most accurate way the emu can do it.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Anyway I am just curious why hardware mode seems to have so many issues with shadows, other than 2d sprites having some odd black lines in them (due to upscaling its normal) Shadows seems to be the only major graphical issue I notice, as you've seen it really messes with dot hack GU series.
Hardware tries to interface directly with directx and due to how 3d rendering works, some effects if developers use special "tricks" to perform certain effects it could be problematic in the translation. Remember the GS isn't quite as powerful and feature filled as a directx 9+ card, also it doesn't have a convenient "middle man" to use to talk to it, however this could be seen as a drawback, as everything done in software mode is done by hand, so we have much more control, making it easier to reproduce these effects, but in hardware, all we can really do is interpret it best directx will directly allow. We "could" write code to do exactly what software mode does, but it would drag the speed down something chronic.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(11-20-2012, 10:13 PM)refraction Wrote: Hardware tries to interface directly with directx and due to how 3d rendering works, some effects if developers use special "tricks" to perform certain effects it could be problematic in the translation. Remember the GS isn't quite as powerful and feature filled as a directx 9+ card, also it doesn't have a convenient "middle man" to use to talk to it, however this could be seen as a drawback, as everything done in software mode is done by hand, so we have much more control, making it easier to reproduce these effects, but in hardware, all we can really do is interpret it best directx will directly allow. We "could" write code to do exactly what software mode does, but it would drag the speed down something chronic.

Indeed, processing in the CPU the output to the video card would reduce the hardware mode compatibility issues, but then it is not hardware mode anymore Smile
Imagination is where we are truly real
(11-20-2012, 10:45 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Indeed, processing in the CPU the output to the video card would reduce the hardware mode compatibility issues, but then it is not hardware mode anymore Smile

Exactly, it would be a sort of "splice" of the two, also part of the advantage of hardware mode (infact the reason it's so quick) is the texture cache, but if we were to access this in ways that are required for the post processing to work correctly, as this would require downloading the textures and placing them in to a stencil buffer (i think), it would somewhat negate the advantage it brings.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]