A compatible parts list...
Sup PCSX2, Quite the amazing emulator you've got here. To be honest, i sort of gave up on playing my old ps2 games once my PS2 died out...a sad story, but one i wont go into. Anyways. Is there like a parts list online that'll tell you how well pcsx2 will run on your system?

This is what i've got goin' on:

MSI Nvidia 9800GT video card

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz

3 GB of Ram

All being run on Windows XP the 32 bit version. Now, all of these parts are pretty good. I know the video card can run Crysis (probably not on full) but still. If it can run crysis...is should be able to run PCSX2 no problems right?

Wrong. Games like Metal Gear Solid 3 (on Disc) are just...slow and...jittery...and...it's painful. I have an ISO of Tekken 5 (ripped from my OWN game, so it's kosher), but it runs so painfully slow. There seems to be no difference in how slow a game runs...if it's being run from the disc or from an Iso. SO...is there something wrong? Should i be running a different operating system?

Sponsored links

the problem is your cpu.
2.3ghz isn't fast enough for full speed in a lot of games.

operating system won't make much of a difference. you can try speedhacks if you haven't already.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
(12-05-2009, 07:42 AM)MetalGearAdam Wrote: Sup PCSX2, Quite the amazing emulator you've got here. To be honest, i sort of gave up on playing my old ps2 games once my PS2 died out...a sad story, but one i wont go into. Anyways. Is there like a parts list online that'll tell you how well pcsx2 will run on your system?

This is what i've got goin' on:

MSI Nvidia 9800GT video card

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz

3 GB of Ram

All being run on Windows XP the 32 bit version. Now, all of these parts are pretty good. I know the video card can run Crysis (probably not on full) but still. If it can run crysis...is should be able to run PCSX2 no problems right?

Wrong. Games like Metal Gear Solid 3 (on Disc) are just...slow and...jittery...and...it's painful. I have an ISO of Tekken 5 (ripped from my OWN game, so it's kosher), but it runs so painfully slow. There seems to be no difference in how slow a game runs...if it's being run from the disc or from an Iso. SO...is there something wrong? Should i be running a different operating system?

Some games are incredibly hard to emulate, MGS3 included. You can't really compare PC gaming to emulation because the performance of the emulator is heavily dependent on how well whatever that particular game uses is optimized.

Post a thread with your config in General Discussion, you'll get a lot more people seeing it than here Tongue
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
There a way to move this post to general discussion? And um...what if I overclock? what would be the ideal speed for running this emulator?
Quote:The best speed for pcsx2 is the max you can get it to. Of course while still keeping the cpu intact, if possible Tongue

i always managed to overclock my cpus at least 200mhz without having any problems while running stock fans, my PhenomII BE i use atm even does 400mhz without the slightest problem and gives me the feeling there is room for more if i need it (~38-40°C overclocked).
Do a google search on overclocking your specific cpu im sure there are lots of ppl discussing Smile

Finally it all depends on what cooling system you use. With the stock fan you probably have on your cpu now there isnt much playroom i suppose.
Well, If you OC, you have to be real careful. the 3 MOST important things to worry about is: 1-Heat. if the temps of the CPU get above 70c then you will kill your CPU overtime. 2-Voltage. To get a decent OC, you may have to increase the voltage that is fed to the CPU. This will ultimately decrease the life of your CPU. Also, the more voltage you feed your CPU, the more heat that builds up. 3- Memory clock rate. In order to OC your CPU, you will have to OC the FSB. (Front Side Bus-link between the CPU and the Mainboard Chipset.) When you OC the FSB, you also OC your Memory clock speed. Most decent memory sticks should be able to handle a mild OC, but some cannot.

Some things to also consider, is your mainboard. Most mainboards have mild OC options in the bios. They can also handle the OC. Some are not designed to OC, and don't even give you the option to (*cough OEM manufacturer boards cough*). Depending on your OC and your board, you could damage your board. (some cheap boards have also managed to ignite.) If you plan on OC'ing, I would HIGHLY recommend an aftermarket cooler. The stock cooler that came with the CPU is only designed to keep the CPU cool at stock settings. (it barely does anyway.) Might I recommend the Zalman 9000+ series coolers. Do not skimp out on the thermal paste either. Artic Silver 5 is pretty expensive, but shaves off 5-10c on average. A small pea-sized amount is good to do the job.

Be sure that your Power Supply can feed enough power efficiently to your rig also. When you OC, you increase the power consumption for the pc as well. If your PSU isn't feeding enough juice, you can expect blue screens, random restarts and even complete shut off's. Not all CPU's are decent OC'ers also. The best practice to OC is to do 100Mhz jumps. Try OC'ing to 2.6Ghz and testing it's stability with OCCT 3.1 and checking temps with Real Temp 3.4.0 . If you can keep temps under 70c under 100% load then it's okay. Run a standard test for 1hr. If it has no errors try 2.7Ghz. Keep doing that till you reach your desired clock speed. Keep attention to temps.

If you have errors, you can try to increase the CPU voltage (Vcore). Do NOT set it higher than 1.4v. Any more than that is too much voltage and will damage your CPU. If you have errors even after increasing the Vcore, then revert to your last stable OC. Once you found your stable OC, run another OCCT test but this time, keep it on for at least 6+ hours. (I personally would keep it for 24 hours). If there are no errors then, congrats! You now have a stable OC. With a good mainboard, PSU, and aftermarket cooler you can get a stable 3-3.2Ghz OC (In most cases). I am running an Intel board and I have a Core i5-750. It clocks stock at 2.66Ghz. my OC is now 3.2Ghz. I would set it higher but thank's to Turbo Boost, I don't need to. My system auto adjusts voltage, and clock speeds accordingly to the load. It goes as high as 3.8Ghz. 3-3.2Ghz should be good enough for most games in PCSX2. If you have any more questions, let us know.
Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15' | Intel Core i7-4850HQ @ 2.3-3.5Ghz | Optimus Powered nVidia Geforce GT 750M (2GB GDDR5) + Intel Iris Pro Graphics | 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Intel HD Audio | Apple Magic Trackpad | Samsung 512GB PCI-E Based SSD |