A feature request: Auto-configured software rendering threads
Ok I made a PR.
This doesn't contain an automatic selection but just a better default value.
Additional this commit makes extra rendering threads more intuitive. Just as I described above the 1 ERT setting is removed. You start with two rendering threads if you use one extra rendering thread:

rendering threads = extra rendering threads + 1 ("main thread")

Sponsored links

I disagree with changing how the ERTs work overall without a heavy discussion. It's always been that way and those of us that know the program have come to count on it.

Are you saying that 2 ERT then will be the same as now, and only the 1 setting is changed? or? If it's only the 1 ERT setting that it changes then it's fine. But if it affects other values then I'm not sure.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
We have feature freeze so feel free to discuss. We have a lot of time.
I thought making it intuitive is more important. Additionally you should never use 1 ERT. But I agree with you not to change existing features. It's just that in this case the setting seems to me completely wrong so I would make an exception here.

It affects all values above 0.

ERT = extra rendering threads
RT = rendering thread (async)
GS = gs main thread + potentially sync rendering thread (if ERT = 0)

new behavior:
0 ERT -> 2 threads total (1 GS + 1 Core)
1 ERT -> 3 threads total (1 GS + 1 Core + 1 ERT) - more correct: (2 RT + 1 Core)
2 ERT -> 4 threads total (1 GS + 1 Core + 2 ERT) - more correct: (3 RT + 1 Core)

old behavior:
0 ERT -> 2 threads total (1 GS + 1 Core)
1 ERT -> 2 threads total (1 Core + 1 ERT) - more correct: (1 RT + 1 Core)
2 ERT -> 3 threads total (1 Core + 2 ERT) - more correct: (2 RT + 1 Core)
So that 0ERT and 1ERT are more or less the same except for synchronization overhead)
The new behavior definitely makes more sense. It may be worth it to shake things up, IDK. Like I said in the PR I'm gonna have to think about it and see what others say as well.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-11-2015, 10:16 PM)gregory Wrote: Beside counting core is not crossplatform (the best solution will be to transfer it from core to plugin with a plugin extensions). Otherwise I think 2 is a general good default.

Note value 1 is special. Rendering is done on a separate thread but due to sync, it is as slow as 0.

There isn't 1 way to do it across platforms, but Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD all have ways to get some number from a terminal emulator/command prompt.
Windows:
Code:
echo %NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS%

Mac/BSD/Linux: 
Code:
sysctl -n hw.ncpu

GNU/Linux:
Code:
nproc

You do the fancy #ifdef to obtain a number in a way that's dependent on the platform, and when GSdx requests how many extra rendering threads it can use, the core responds appropriately - ideally it would take into account whether or the MTVU speedhack is enabled. So the "Auto" setting would have to be event-driven as well, if the user toggles MTVU in the core, the number of ERTs in the GSdx plugin has to increase/decrease if there are enough processors to do so.
That the definition of not portable. Honestly auto will be complicated to code, and will never give you a correct settings. Better spend time accelerate the ee recompiler. Just set the default for a 4core (i5). Sw renderer is likely too slow for 2 core anyway.
On the 0/1 cases. It is only useful for dev to measure threading overhead. For user there are the same off. Is value 0/1 used by user?
possibly they use one believing that it is the best setting.
QuadCore: pcsx2 + MTVU + gs software renderer = 3 threads. Adding one additional thread seems reasonable.

If they would benchmark they would see that the optimum is 2/3 ERT's.

Also 0/1 to benchmark sync overhead seems to naive. 0/1 is not necessarily syncing the same way as 2 or more. Optimizing 1 vs 0 ERT performance should therefore not necessarily optimize 2,3,4 ERT's the same way.

I don't think there is a relevant point for 1 ERT even for development. Maybe except for the time when multithreading was implemented.
also the assumption that software renderer is too slow for dual core isn't really a reasonable one since dual cores (like haswell ) with higher IPC / Single thread performance could also handle software mode fine on quite a few games. even my older conroe architecture managed to handle few games fine at 40+ fps on software mode.

The increment to the threads at the function looks good to me , it''s probably the better behavior with relevant to the function as people always except 1 to be a speedup compared to 0.
I dont think the speedloss of 2 ERT (=4 threads) on a strong ipc dualcore will be large. If EE & GS << 100% the remaining cpu time of 'their cores' can be used by the rendering threads. For haswell dualcores 2 RT mitght even increase the performance (as MTVU can increase performance as well on dual cores)