Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A frugal buyer in the computer market
This is also in Chatterbox I wasn't sure where to put it

Hey guys Im new to actually learning about computer hardware so I know about different proccessors and GPUs and "what they do", fo course not "how" but that dosen't affect my question. But anyway one thing I noticed is that Intel and NVIDIA seem to release their news products or "series" of things in January every year, I would imagine this is because they would want the maximisation of profits from Christmas. My dad says he would be willing to get the laptop in my signature for xmas however would I be correct to say to wait till January as if there is new products then prices will collapse in Jan usually?

What do you wizards know about this? Would I be wise to wait "1 month"?
Thanks! Laugh
CPU: i9 20Ghz 40-core
GPU: GTX 129000 in Octo-SLI
RAM: 64GB DDREKT69
Monitor: 800x600 15" CRT

Sponsored links

it "belongs" in hardware discussion. and there's no need for multile threads with this same exact question
Sorry, probably should be moved rather than make a third, That would be some mean spamming
Um how do you move? I've seen it done on other threads.
You're right, there is *some* planning for the typical buyers seasons.
The question to ask though is: Will your product be affected by it?
I'm not sure how or if laptops see a price spike due to Christmas or not, so
maybe check some price watch history data.

One thing though:
Even that laptop won't be so great with PCSX2.
People report of issues with the i7 turbo mode and that graphic card sounds weak, too.
Ideally GPU is being released about once every 6-10 month, but as of late Nvidia is 1 generation behind and ATi AMD will release the new 6XXX series, supposedly this October but product wide availability is in November.

As for CPU, this one is more complex but generally Intel has Tick Tock strategy and AMD... well they don't really have smart and easy to understand one like Intel but in a few months (?) they'll release new architectural CPU later next year, and Intel is on the fast track for their Tock-improved version of Sandy Bridge release this Christmas (CMIIW, I don't really follow Intel plan).
I only want to be able to play FFX without native and at a constant 50fps(PAL) not run GTA vice city or something, do you think it would suffice for just FFX? I use every single speed hack on it currently maxed out and it dosent get problems or bugs so with this new laptop hopefully I can play it without native? Wacko

If the GT 425M is weak then musen't my GT 8400M which can run a number of 3D pcsx2 games at full speed be utterly diabolical?
Higher numbering don't always mean, huge performance difference, 425 is second to the lowest of Nvidia lineup (denoted from the "2"), thus it IS weak, even compared to older higher tiered GPU.
I need to learn more about GPUs then, I've kinda got the hang of processors but GPUs seem even more complicated Wacko
Blame Nvidia and there rebranding techniques.
i5 2500k @4.4ghz, Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3, DDR3 8GB, Gigabyte GTX 480 SOC
Alienware M17xR2, i7 620m, DDR3 4GB, 5870M