A question regarding the effectivity of the Computer I'm buying
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardw...ancerating

It's German, but the graphics should be understandable. I was wrong with that the 5870 is better than 2x 4890 but it comes really close, sometimes even beating the GTX295. It defintely plays in the same league like the 4890 Crossfire, 4870X2 and GTX295. And it still is much easier to handle than a multi GPU configuration. In addition it uses less power, is less noisy etc. And complaining about the SIZE of a 5870 is kinda stupid, if the alternative is a Multi GPU system with 2 bigger cards.

About the PSU: They may use a cheap PSU to keep the price low. Remember: Man is greedy Smile And btw, WHY should the seller of this PC NOT advertise the name of the PSU brand, if the rest is top-notch? The only reason not to use a brand's PSU name is, that it is indeed the regular cheap stuff. It's just my opinion, but I would never entrust my top notch gaming hardware to a cheap PSU. And I have no doubts that the advertised PSU is the regular low quality stuff.
That reminds me of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA

Sponsored links

yeah, if they do not note what is manufacturer means its crap, i have corsair 400w and i am happy Smile but crosair 450 w and above are kinda expensive ~~ not sure if i would go for them
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
If you can afford good gaming hardware like this, you can spend some extra money for an adequate PSU that will guarentee the safety of your expensive hardware. Btw I would always configurate the PC myself instead of buying pre-built ones. It's cheaper with no loss in quality that way.
(09-28-2009, 03:50 PM)SamSoNight Wrote: If you can afford good gaming hardware like this, you can spend some extra money for an adequate PSU that will guarentee the safety of your expensive hardware. Btw I would always configurate the PC myself instead of buying pre-built ones. It's cheaper with no loss in quality that way.

Better yet, build the PC yourself. That way you know exactly what's going into it and you'll save even more money by hunting down the cheapest price for each individual component. Plus, if it's your first time, you also gain the experience and perhaps learn to troubleshoot if something goes wrong with it down the line.

Overclocking is also more easily accommodated since you can choose your own parts, including heatsinks etc.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
After some googling...I have reasons to believe that the PSU is indeed a Corsair...maybe...possibly...In any case, the best action would be to open up that PC and see.

Dude, I'm not even complaining about the size of the 5870. I'm just saying, it's long. And by long I mean long. Also, since when is a 4890 bigger than a 4870x2...Mellow

I mean, I'm not trying to bad mouth the 5870 or anything, because I think it's a really awesome card and I would certainly get it instead of the 4870x2. It's just that saying it beats 2x 4890 is so wrong, especially when giving advice to someone. I mean, the card is a very close match for the 4870x2 and the gtx295, but it's still a way off from 2x 4890 (which completely pulverized the 4870x2, by the way). If you want to give good advice, this is what you should have said:

"You should also consider the 5870, seeing as how it can match the 4870x2, while being a single card set-up. The advantage is that you don't have to worry about which game support CrossfireX and which game doesn't. And then there's the fact that it would greatly benefit PCSX2, more so than 2x 4890. And so on and so forth."

However, you must also list the disadvantages of the card as well. For example, at this point in time, all 5870 models are using the reference cooler. No custom coolers exist yet. And then there's the fact that it's a bit longer than a 4870x2, which means that it would not fit into small cases. And so on and so forth.

EDIT: Did I mention that Crysis does not support CrossfireX? No I didn't, and now I did. Tongue
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
A 4890 is "just" an overclocked 4870, so 2 of them do not "pulverize" a 4870X2. You can see for yourself here. A 5870 just would be the smarter choice, there is nothing more to say.

@boogerthe2nd That's actually what I meant Tongue Do it yourself ftw!
I beg to differ. As you can see, at high resolution, 2x 4890 can easily outperform a 4870x2 and a gtx295. Then again, that's coming from a guy with a high resolution monitor and a 4870 512MB...Sad

In any case, it all comes back to what I said before, it depends on what the OP does with his PC. For PCSX2, 2x 4890 is kind of pointless. Crysis doesn't support CrossfireX.

Of course, building your own PC is always more flexible, but for those who don't want to bother (which is like, what, 90% of the population?), there's always pre-built PC's.

As for me, I'll just wait until prices drop and custom coolers and the elusive 2GB model.Tongue
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!