Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A question to the devs
This question has a little to do with pcsx2 and more with the devs.. so if u (a dev/super moderator) would be so kind to answer these questions, i wuold be more than grateful:

how did the devs know how the ps2 works? did they disassemble the ps2 and attached it with there computers and dumped all the codes and bios? and what type of language was the ps2 written in? please give me the details and be specific

ty

Sponsored links

Foreword: I am not a PCSX2 coder, but I think I know something.

There are documents which describe how a console works. Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft write these document while they're making the console. However, they will never release such things to the public, even after 100 years, when their consoles are long dead.

Some hardware enthusiasts try to study the hardware to know its internal working. I don't know how they do, but the process is called "reverse engineering" and when it is done, they know the internal working of the hardware, and write their own documentations. Their documentations are never 100% correct as the official ones, but they usually release their researches to the public. Emulation programmers grab such documentations and start coding.

For the language question, almost all computer systems support C/C++. A C++ compiler is the first thing to be written when developing a new CPU. AFAIK there are an open source PS2 and PS3 SDKs, probably in C++.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60
I am not a coder in pcsx2. Super Moderators need not be devs. Tongue2 They are moderators responsible for moderating disputes etc.

Start by Reading here :- How PS2 Works and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation...ifications. You should know the exact details of the parts in there. You can read the dev blogs. you should have an idea of what is ps2 basically and how it functions.
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
We search the net for information or others have searched for them.
Then we write test tools and run them on our boxes.
Next we look at homebrew and deduce even more information.
Over the years it adds up Smile
(09-14-2012, 04:58 PM)rama Wrote: We search the net for information or others have searched for them.
Then we write test tools and run them on our boxes.
Next we look at homebrew and deduce even more information.
Over the years it adds up Smile

can u give me links for the documents that the pcsx2 dev relied on? thx man
there are some on the nsx2 emulator website, however it doesn't exist any more Sad
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!