AMD FX8350 pcsx2 performance
Im just wondering how does the FX8350 performance in pcsx2 emulation?
I know that amd cpus have less IPC performance, and thus lower emulation performance then intel cpus, but could an fx8350 still run games at full speed?

Im building a computer very soon and am going to be getting

AMD FX8350
dark night II + 2x corsair SP120 push/pull
asus sabertooth FX990
8GB 1866 9-9-9-27 memory
Nvidia GTX760
corsair 500r and replace all the case fans
corsair HX750

And since i have a good motherboard, cpu cooler, case cooling, and psu, im going to get the cpu to 5.0ghz.
Ill also be using windows 8, which automatically has the hotfixes for amd fx cpus (core unparking and having windows read it as a 4core/8thread cpu, rather then 8 cores which gives better performance), aswell as just better performance in general.

So do you think it will be good enough for playing most if not all games at full speed w/o speedhacks?
(i mean my i5-2450M plays most games at 100% speed when @ 2.9-3.0ghz turbo w/o speedhacks).

Ill also probably be upgrading to the steamroller cpus when they come out (maybe give this one to my bro or something), which they are going to have MUCH MUCH better IPC performance aswell.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the 8350 and/or an oc 8350 in pcsx2.

Sponsored links

You're setup should handle everything without problems. granted, 5ghz seems a little much, especially for all those cores. My FX4300 at 4.1ghz does not struggle for the most part. I was not aware of a hotfix for Windows 8 regarding FX cpu's, in that they will be used more like a hyperthreading cpu than a true 8 core cpu (even though one could argue this is the case due to shared resource modules).
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(07-07-2013, 11:21 PM)DaTankAC Wrote: You're setup should handle everything without problems. granted, 5ghz seems a little much, especially for all those cores. My FX4300 at 4.1ghz does not struggle for the most part. I was not aware of a hotfix for Windows 8 regarding FX cpu's, in that they will be used more like a hyperthreading cpu than a true 8 core cpu (even though one could argue this is the case due to shared resource modules).

its a hotfix for windows 7, windows 8 has it automatically.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060

Im not sure if its for both vishera and zambezi though. I know for sure it works on vishera cpus, but you can try it for yourself. (the update just says "FX series cpus" so id imagine its both)
Its like a 5%ish area increase in performance. (its not like a HUGE difference, but its definitely better)

But ya its for that very reason, since the modules have to share resources, it performs better if windows treats it as a 4core/8thread cpu.

Ya im not building this FOR emulation, i was just wondering if it could play all games at full speed. like even the demanding ones.
Quote:Ya im not building this FOR emulation, i was just wondering if it could play all games at full speed. like even the demanding ones.

At 5ghz, you have yourself a winner.

The best intel CPUs at 4.5+ghz can't run all games full speed with speed hacks, let alone without them. As I've said before, once you start hitting 4ghz on any CPU you start to hit diminishing returns where the vast majority of playable compatible games will run full speed (with MTVU and the recommended speed hacks). There will always be outliers, but for the most part the 8350 should be perfectly fine for PCSX2. Unless you have a specific game you want to know how it'll run, we can't be too much more specific than that.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(07-08-2013, 12:48 AM)Koji Wrote: The best intel CPUs at 4.5+ghz can't run all games full speed with speed hacks, let alone without them. As I've said before, once you start hitting 4ghz on any CPU you start to hit diminishing returns where the vast majority of playable compatible games will run full speed (with MTVU and the recommended speed hacks). There will always be outliers, but for the most part the 8350 should be perfectly fine for PCSX2. Unless you have a specific game you want to know how it'll run, we can't be too much more specific than that.

hmmm, well i know once you are able to get 60+ fps in games, it will obviously give diminishing returns, since 60 is 100% speed.
But in dolphin benchmarks, it seems having an i5 @ 5.0ghz seems to give a noticeable increase in performance over 4.5 or 4.0ghz in games.

And i would use multi-threading VU ofcourse. Id just like to avoid the EE cycle rate and VU cycle stealing if possible. As id rather play all games leaving them at the same settings.

And i know some games require software rendering, but id imagine the extra threads available on the 8350 should allow those games to be playable.

And i cant really say any game in specific. i just want to rip all my ps2 games to one of my spare laptop hdds i have laying around. (i have a redicilous amount of ps2 games, basically i have like a 4' x 4' x 3' box FULL of ps2 games :/)

So any games that wouldnt be really playable id rather not go and rip and waste time/space. (according to compatibility list like all but a few games should work)

But of the ones that are compatible, which are able to actually be played? i mean being able to run using an interpreter isnt going top make it very playable >.>
And rather then listing all the game i have id rather just know which games are ones that wont work any really any hardware type of thing (i dont think there would be that many)

Ive only ripped a few so far, since i know my laptop isnt extremely capable, especially playing at settings i want (using gsdx fx filter, widescreen hack, and 2x+ IR).
Some games just don't are emulated well yet, I think is what he meant with diminishing return, for those games which don't run fine at 4.0 + GHz already, chances are they fall in that category and just brute force will not cut the pie.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Some motherboards will cause throttling even if your cpu is up to the task of being overclocked so high. My former Gigabyte board heavily throttled my FX4300 even above 4.4 ghz. My results were worse compared to other Piledrivers at same frequencies. My ASUS current mATX board lets me get up to 4.8 ghz before throttling. So you have to make sure your board is up to the task of handling that power hungry monster of a cpu. Honestly, above 4.5 ghz will get you nowhere. Even dav1de's 5.2 ghz result on the FFX-2 benchmark thread showed poor returns.

(07-08-2013, 04:31 AM)DaTankAC Wrote: Some motherboards will cause throttling even if your cpu is up to the task of being overclocked so high. My former Gigabyte board heavily throttled my FX4300 even above 4.4 ghz. My results were worse compared to other Piledrivers at same frequencies. My ASUS current mATX board lets me get up to 4.8 ghz before throttling. So you have to make sure your board is up to the task of handling that power hungry monster of a cpu. Honestly, above 4.5 ghz will get you nowhere. Even dav1de's 5.2 ghz result on the FFX-2 benchmark thread showed poor returns.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813131877
is the board im getting, and ive seen people OC to 5.0-5.4ghz on it using air/water.

Ill probably make different cpu profiles.
Like one for doing more cpu demanding workloads and demanding emulation like wii, which i will have it at 4.8-5.0ghz.
One for normal pc gaming and gc/ps2 emulation and lesser demanding workloads at like 4.0-4.5ghz
Then one at 4.0ghz max and allow it to fully underclock/undervolt the cpu based on load for basic tasks.

and with windows 8 and asus motherboard, you can actually jump in the bios at any time during operating w/o restarts which is pretty amazing.

Its rated for up to 140W cpus, which means it should be able to work at up to like 1.5375V or so. And from what ive seen 5.0ghz shouldnt be too unobtainable at 1.5V or alittle higher. And i should be able to get 1.5v or alittle higher on my cpu cooler, since it does perform almost on par with a corsair 100i with the stock fan, and im using 2 very high static pressure fans in push/pull, and have a corsair 500R with pretty much max fans (corsair AF120s and bitfenix spectre pros)

But i havent had a desktop since like the early core 2 dous, so i am alittle rusty on overclocking these days also.
But we'll see. It will be another 2-3 weeks before i have the money to finish it anyways.
Sorry to refloat a thread, seemed right to post here...

I'm having a bit of trouble with AMD, I've seen some youtube videos and people seem to get better image than I do...

Games I've tried:
MGS3 Snake eater (MTVU, GSD AVX (D3D11, 3x native, Texture filtering), SPU2 (async), PCSX2 r5350
Shadow of the colosus (GSD AVX (default hw dev, 3x native, Texture filtering, 8bit textures, HW hacks half pixel offset and aggressive crc), PCSX2 r5730
Devil may cry 3 (running from disc, heavily scratched and takes days to dump), damn slow videos cause of disk damage.

Both releases, every game I've tried seems a little choppy, like it loses some frames or at least ar not drawed, runs 50-60 fps steady, with said configs, yet I feel like it could improve.

If there's something like an AMD thread haven't found it.

PC specs:
Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO Rev1
CPU: FX-8350
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: Corsair 4x2 CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9
Video card: Asus Radeon HD 7970
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
Storage: 1Tb WD Green 2 500GB WD Green
Optical: Pioner 16x BD-RW
Optional: 2 External HDD, 1 on Docking, 1 from Power eSata
PSU: Corsair TX850wChasis: ThermalTake Dokker
(every single time I have to write down my specs, I just thank AutoHotkey for existing)