Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMD II x4 635 CPU
Hi!

I'm buying a new mid-range computer and i was wondering how this CPU compares to the one that i currently have, which is a laptop with a P8400@2.26GHz. Would you recommend anything else instead of that AMD within the same price range?

I'm not building a PC specifically for PCSX2, but I do plan to use it, so I don't want to buy anything that's just plain bad for it.

If this question should go to the sticky thread, I'm sorry and I ask the moderators to move it there.

Sponsored links

It will be better than the P8400.
Get an aftermarket cooler if you wish to use it for pcsx2 though.
Hyper 212+ is a cheap and good cooler.
[Image: 1454055.png]
Does it have heating issues? Or do you mean for overclocking?

Also, how much better are we talking about? What would be the most demanding game i could play on it. Right now, Square games seem to be the top i can do on the P8400
For overclocking.
PCSX2 loves high clocks.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-CPU-Bench...d-on-FFX-2
[Image: 1454055.png]
in the same price range i guess i3 which is vastly superior to it.
OK, seems the plans have changed and I will probably be getting an AMD Athlon II X3 440. I'm guessing this one is weaker than the above mentioned. Can anyone give me an idea on how much weaker, and again, how it handles compared to the P8400 (percentagewise). I can't find either of them on the provided link, and I'm not sure how they are related to other models, so I have to ask.
it would be stronger than your laptop cpu but not strong enough to be able to enjoy many PS2 games imo. personally i would wait for sandy bridge or bulldozer and overclock them.
For PCSX2, both Athlon II X3 440 3.0 GHz and Athlon II X4 635 2.9 GHz will perform very similarly. The X3 440 might even perform a tiny smidgen faster due to the extra 0.1 GHz (at stock). As for how much better compared to your P8400, I'd estimate it to be 20% faster at stock clocks. Your Core 2 Duo, while having a lower clock rate, has better IPC compared to the Athlon II. I'd guess the P8400 at 2.26 GHz to be equivalent to an Athlon II at around 2.4~2.5 GHz (at least on the FFX-2 benchmark).
Thank you for the answers. I mostly own some roleplaying games which already ran fine, so the fact that the speed should improve by just a bit is enough for me. I'm mainly taking this one because an additional core can be unlocked with the motherboard I'm taking. This should not improve PCSX2 performance, but I think it's a good choice for the sake of overall performance.
Only if the core unlocks though, as there's no guarantee Tongue2