Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ATI or Nvidia...Does it matter?
OK...so after seeing the awesome Battlefield 3 footage at the E3 event, and realising my trusty old ATI 4850 wont be upto the job, i've decided to change my gfx card, and it will either be a ATI 6950 or Nvidia 560, obviously either will be more than enough for PCSX2, but i was wondering if Nvidia cards have any known 'quirks' when it comes to PCSX2?...are they any better or worse?...i know DX9/DX10 usage 'should' ensure a consistent rendering output, but its never quite that simple with PC's is it...Rolleyes

I've had ATI cards for the last 6yrs, but i quite fancy a change to Nvidia this time, but PCSX2 usage is quite important to me, and dont want to find that Nvidia is worse than ATI only after buying.

System:
Corsair Obsidian 450D
Asus Maximus VII Z97 Hero
Intel 4690K (@4.6Ghz)
8GB 2400Mhz DDR3
Asus Nvidia 970 Strix x2 SLI
256GB Crucial SSD
2TB 7200 Seagate
3TB 7200 Seagate
Superflower 650w Gold Psu

Sponsored links

ATI and NVIDIA are both very good. ATI 6950 or Nvidia 560 (both are High end cards) and support upto DirectX 11. Therefore no problems will be there for the Renderer or the image properties. You will be able to play games with DirectX10/11 (Hardware) Rendeder easily.

Nvidia cards have some extra feature such as CUDA(not at all needed for pcsx2), Nvidia DirectCompute, and cg etc. Nvidia cards are for sure very customizable ( Excl but leaving it to an extreme endExcl. as the nvidia cards can be overclocked very easily and at a extreme rate from the control panel itself).Also, Nvidia cards have a Shader Clock which runs at a different speed.

ATI Card are also very good. ATI Cards are very strong and can support more Overclock and does not blow up easily.ATI Cards do not have a shader clock.The shader operator runs at the graphics card clock speed.

[Image: recodersignature2.png]
As far as specs go 6950 would be better and if you go GTX 560 just make sure it's at least a 560Ti not just regular 560.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
get the Ati 6950 it has only 127 TDP Vs. that 560 GTX thing it will suck-up a lot of electricity...560 GTX is a howler 280 TDP.
Main Hub:i5-4670(3.4Ghz Factory Clocked),ATi Radeon HD7770(GDDR5+128-bit+1GB),Win 10 SL(x64),ASUS H8M-E,8GB DDR3 RAM
(06-11-2011, 02:33 PM)recoder Wrote: Nvidia cards have some extra feature such as CUDA

ATI cards have OCL. Which makes it the same.
(06-11-2011, 02:57 PM)tallbender Wrote: get the Ati 6950 it has only 127 TDP Vs. that 560 GTX thing it will suck-up a lot of electricity...560 GTX is a howler 280 TDP.

unfounded BS.
(06-11-2011, 03:37 PM)Game Wrote: ATI cards have OCL. Which makes it the same.

no it doesn't. CUDA's native implementation is made for the hardware its running on while opencl is general purpose.

functionality implemented in both cuda and opencl will perform better in cuda every time because cuda expects the data structure to be executed properly and compatibly.
(06-11-2011, 02:57 PM)tallbender Wrote: get the Ati 6950 it has only 127 TDP Vs. that 560 GTX thing it will suck-up a lot of electricity...560 GTX is a howler 280 TDP.

GTX 560ti is rated 170W, and this actually depends... on average the 6950 and GTX 560ti are not much different in power consumption, the nvidia GTX 560 is lower when idle and dxva, the radeon 6950 lower on full load, but on average not far from each other.

And uh... not even the GTX 580 is rated 280 TDP...
they are both good in their own areas

its as simple as this:
ATI specializes in producing affordable cards (if ur on a budget)
Nvidia specializes in raw performance and power (as long as u got the PS to run it)
if u dont believe me, compare same gen cards between them, looking at price and clock speeds
[Image: signature.png]
"A celestial descends onto Earth to give advice.
Buuuut, for me they're all advice that can't be put to action."  -Tenshi Hinanawi

FX-6300 @ 3.5 GHz; 16GB 1333MHz; GB 990FXA-UD3 R5; EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW ACX
CPU: 7.4; GPU: 7.7 RAM: 7.5 HDD/SDD: 7.6
each one bets on a different approach, ATI in sheer number of stream processors (which can pass the thousand in some cards) while Nvidia is based in those mentioned CUDA processors, which can pass half thousand in some cards.

While both have a similar performance, game wise, Nvidia seems more focused in heavy parallel computing, which is where CUDA is leading. It's Tesla line is an example of video cards being used for more than processing graphics. Not something most user will use anyway... so, the choice is a bit tricky and whatever brand is chosen it will fare well in games.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(06-12-2011, 02:17 AM)mathwizi2005 Wrote: if u dont believe me, compare same gen cards between them, looking at price and clock speeds

It depends on the budget, currently the top 10 performance/price graphic cards are still 5 nvidia and 5 ATI (none of them are high end cards if that's an indication of anything Tongue2)

It also depends on the conditions you're gonna use them, If we're talking only PC games then nvidia tends to give better performance/price in low resolutions and AA (1680x1050 and 2xAA or lower), while ATI does for high resolutions and AA (1920x1080 and 4xAA or higher) but again neither case is good performance/price on the higher end cards for either ATI or nvidia.

Now if we talk only about PCSX2 then it benefits most from memory bandwidth and again depending on the budget you're talking about, you can find the offerings from one side or the other to be better.

Also clock speeds don't really say how good a card is Tongue2