Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AV cord vs component cable
So, I want to do a lot of let's plays of some PS2 games. I've gotten myself quite the collection over the years, thanks to many sales of gamestop and other places. Now, what I want to know, is which would be better to record the gameplay with? The red/white/yellow av cable, or the green/blue/red/white/red component cable?

I'm going to be using the Hauppauge HDPVR to do my recordings with, and it came with Arcsoft Showbiz.

What would be the difference in quality, and which would be better to use? Also, would all ps2 games be compatible with the component cable?

Sponsored links

I say the component cable will be the best bit.Smile
Cpu Intel Core i7 4770k @4.6 Ghz 1.305v HT Enabled
Cpu Cooler Noctua NH-D14
Mobo Asus Maximus Hero VI z87
Gpu Evga Gtx Titan
Hard Drive WD1502FAEX 1.5TB
Operating System Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Ram Corsair Dominator GT 8 GB @1.866 Ghz
Disc Drive
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Sound Card Sound Blaster Titanium HD

Also, would the gold plated connectors insure a better connection/quality?
From what I can see there is no difference in quality.
Just make shore the cable looks high quality made.
And as a good brand name.
Cpu Intel Core i7 4770k @4.6 Ghz 1.305v HT Enabled
Cpu Cooler Noctua NH-D14
Mobo Asus Maximus Hero VI z87
Gpu Evga Gtx Titan
Hard Drive WD1502FAEX 1.5TB
Operating System Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Ram Corsair Dominator GT 8 GB @1.866 Ghz
Disc Drive
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Sound Card Sound Blaster Titanium HD

The composite cable is somewhat "lossy" in term of data transferring. The image is always blurry.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60
There is no advantage including an extra step in between the pieces. If both devices have support to component cable, go for it. If the receptor has the two and the emitter is composite only, go composite. If they are incompatible you'll need an adapter.
Imagination is where we are truly real
The quality scale is like this... Composite<S-Video<VGA<Component<DVI<HDMI

Making good quality leads is as simple as buying quad shielded RG6 cable and peeling back the foil shield and soldering on a Canare or equivalent quality RGA plug to both ends. Wrap the foil back up around the other pole of the Canare RGA plug and secure the end nice with heat shrink and you then have your almost top quality cable for pennies on the dollar. The Canare RGA plugs have a boot that you slide up over the heat shrink to look professional. You can also add some nylon or other wrap to make it look fancy. I have a huge livingroom and I used this method to make leads for my surround sound. You can use a similar method to make top quality speaker cables. It's ridiculously easy and cables are a ripoff.

I'm 35 I've done a lot of projects in the course of all my hobbies.
Head-Fi dot org has a bunch of experts on different cables if you are curious.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTH7eKr5T7Jqx7YjvRiTlY...Tl27LuTgJg]
Why don't you use PCSX2 to record? The quality would be WAY better than any capturing device you'd use on the PS2
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(02-11-2013, 03:01 PM)Bositman Wrote: Why don't you use PCSX2 to record? The quality would be WAY better than any capturing device you'd use on the PS2

Well, I actually had a topic going about that, over in general discussion/support.

PC specs as of current are:
AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.8 Ghz
6 Gigs of RAM
Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5

New PC I'm building is going to be:
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

GPU: Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5

Now, in that thread, WarWeeny was telling me that I wouldn't be able to record with PCSX2, cause it wouldn't be powerful enough. I was wanting to use FRAPS, because I don't know how to use the internal recorder, and I like to record commentary with my recordings, as I do Let's Plays on Youtube. Also, Not all games I want to record are 100% compatible yet. I don't know if you remember, but I was having some trouble with Run Like Hell, where every couple of seconds, the character model would flip upside down for a second.

So, I figured I'd use my Hauppauge.

Ended up doing a little bit of testing with my current rig and FRAPS as well. Results

"Well, I just got done doing a test on my Dark Cloud game, and I was playing it on x2 native, texture filtering half enabled, with 8-bit textures. Recording was done with FRAPS. With those settings and the MTVU hack enabled, I averaged about 55 fps, with the lowest going down to 47 fps. So, would the new CPU allow me to get better FPS at all then, and if so, do you all think I would be able to run Eternal Ring, Michigan: Report from Hell, and the final fantasy games with those settings? Also, would having 8 gigs of ram also help instead of the 6 I have right now?"

Do you think that with the new rig, I would be able to record with FRAPS? Or is there some way to use the internal recorder with being able to record commentary as well?