AVX Support - Phenom II X4 955
cant seem to use the AVX gpu plugin, though spec sheets of my cpu show support for it.

PC:
Win10x64
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Radeon HD 5770
4gb Ram
1TB WD Green

cant test any other plugins other than SSE2, and I'd like to see if changing my GPU plugin will fix the constant freezing issue in Burnout Revenge. dont seem to have this issue in GOW1, Midnight Club 3 DER or Kingdom Hearts 1

Also, settings attached. Games run fine at 60 most of the time, just keeps freezing and sound loops.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

That CPU doesn't support AVX, nor does it support SSSE3 (only SSE3) or SSE4 (only 4a), so yeh, you're stuck with the SSE2 plugin on that CPU I'm afraid!

Info on your CPU: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Ph...IBOX).html
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

about the freezings :
setting VU cycle stealing that high is n't a good idea at all...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(01-15-2017, 07:57 PM)refraction Wrote: That CPU doesn't support AVX, nor does it support SSSE3 (only SSE3) or SSE4 (only 4a), so yeh, you're stuck with the SSE2 plugin on that CPU I'm afraid!

Info on your CPU: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Ph...IBOX).html

huh...read it wrong i guess. my mistake.

so how do i go about aquiring the SSE4a(?) plugin?

(01-15-2017, 07:58 PM)jesalvein Wrote: about the freezings :
setting VU cycle stealing that high is n't a good idea at all...

without, i dont reach steady 60. guess just deal then?
heres another fun one:

you may have noticed i disabled frame limiting. im using Rivatuner to lock my fps at 63 (vsync does jack for some reason) yet i drop below 55 on occasion. but if i set rivatuner back to 0 fps limit my fps SKYROCKETS and rarely drops below 90

lolwut? explain that please?
enabled vsync in Catalyst Control Center and in settings, reduced VU Stealing to 2...fps claims to be ~47-80 in game but seems to have no slowdown or speedup, FMV and Track Selection around 130 but only sometimes speeds up.

whatever lol
As a fellow Phenom II owner. T_T You're definitely going to have to get a better cpu for pcsx2 in my opnion. Maybe try slight EE speed reduction that or get used to working around frame skip for games like God of war. If I remember right that game ran at 60fps though it's been years since I played. A lot of games that run at 60 on pcsx2 seems to be hell to try run when the cpu is slow on single threaded stuff.

Vu tends to report crazy fps values if it steals too many cycles from the emotion engine for me as well at lest from my own experimenting

It might seem odd but enabling basic hardware mipmapping actually helps some of the games I've tried to run quite significantly However I have an AMD R9 290. I don't know how well it would help on a 5770. Also allowing 8bit textures can reduce cpu load by a tiny bit.

CPU core unparking helps some too but you'd have to go google on that one.
(01-15-2017, 09:05 PM)Vokadae Wrote: As a fellow Phenom II owner. T_T You're definitely going to have to get a better cpu for pcsx2 in my opnion. Maybe try slight EE speed reduction that or get used to working around frame skip for games like God of war. If I remember right that game ran at 60fps though it's been years since I played. A lot of games that run at 60 on pcsx2 seems to be hell to try run when the cpu is slow on single threaded stuff.

Vu tends to report crazy fps values if it steals too many cycles from the emotion engine for me as well at lest from my own experimenting

It might seem odd but enabling basic hardware mipmapping actually helps some of the games I've tried to run quite significantly However I have an AMD R9 290.  I don't know how well it would help on a 5770. Also allowing 8bit textures can reduce cpu load by a tiny bit.

CPU core unparking helps some too but you'd have to go google on that one.

aye brother! dont see too many people even pack Phenom processors anymore at all. understandable, mine is 7 years old >_< and overclock on air to 3.5ghz is solid and stable.

my 5770 keeps up with whatever ive thrown at it so far. however im a nostalgic gamer. anything after 2012-2013 just doesnt do it for me. not excited by any games these days. hence the emulation. most taxing game i play at 1080p/~60 is Dark Souls II.

pretty dumb to ask as i already assume the answer, but would popping my extra 5770 in and popping on the XFire bridge do ANYTHING improve performance even a little bit?

ive got 8-bit on, lowering the ee causes not frame-skip or lag but frame...slowmo? Burnout Revenge for instance doesnt lag, the fps stays solid around +/- 60. but specifically in Crash Mode when the timer starts counting to the end of the event it literally slows the timer and game. i know this was a thing on OGXbox and PS2, with so much physics going on and stuff that it wasnt able to keep up, but i dont remember it being as slow as it is.
My phenom II makes me want to bash my head on a wall sometimes...
I would assume the slowdown can more pronounced on pcsx2 since that game is probably pushing a and or every component that pcsx2 needs to emulate to absurd levels.
On top of that some of those components need to be synchronized and from what I read that is pure hell to pull off so that's more extra work for the cpu. I am going on an assumption that makes for an exponentially increased workload on pcsx2 similar to as if the game would push a real PS2 except on pcsx2 that's probably adding a lot more than what it would be on a real ps2. Ehh.. I don't know an easy way to explain it but it's something I've noticed while using pcsx2 and a PS2 at the same time for a couple games just to check for differences.

I don't think crossfire would work on pcsx2 but I've never tried it before. I'd actually be really excited if it did though since I wouldn't normally expect that to be even possible on an emulator. I wonder if it could be done like how frame skip works. But then there is keeping things synchronized. I know if I use weird/wrong frame skip settings some games can assplode in entertaining but terrible ways. Soo probably not?

I don't really know what else can be done for now.
(01-16-2017, 05:18 AM)Vokadae Wrote: My phenom II makes me want to bash my head on a wall sometimes...
I would assume the slowdown can more pronounced on pcsx2 since that game is probably pushing a and or every component that pcsx2 needs to emulate to absurd levels.
On top of that some of those components need to be synchronized and from what I read that is pure hell to pull off so that's more extra work for the cpu. I am going on an assumption that makes for an exponentially increased workload on pcsx2 similar to as if the game would push a real PS2 except on pcsx2 that's probably adding a lot more than what it would be on a real ps2. Ehh.. I don't know an easy way to explain it but it's something I've noticed while using pcsx2 and a PS2 at the same time for a couple games just to check for differences.

I don't think crossfire would work on pcsx2 but I've never tried it before. I'd actually be really excited if it did though since I wouldn't normally expect that to be even possible on an emulator. I wonder if it could be done like how frame skip works. But then there is keeping things synchronized. I know if I use weird/wrong frame skip settings some games can assplode in entertaining but terrible ways.  Soo probably not?

I don't really know what else can be done for now.

Ive been emulating for a long time (games are cheaper than hardware) and it doesnt bother me the slowmo-ish result. It happens in very specific conditions and I know what to look out for. Mostly highend effects will do it especially rendered in the background. Honestly I'm surprised at getting full speed on the games ive tested so far and more to try in my library. GOW is so smooth, a taxing game if there was one to reference. Burnout moreso for its effects, but counteracted by massive blur at high speed.

I wouldn't think pcsx2 would do anything with xfire as Ive not seen any other projects use it in any way. Was just a thought to throw out there. Only game on the PC side of things that I play that does work well with it is Crysis...because every gamer needs to at least try lol

I haven't been able to nail down frameskip settings at all. Its a little confusing the way they outlined it an the tooltip isnt really helping. So used to "skip 1/2/3 frames". Any advice?

I'm very savvy with hardware so doing what I can with what I got im used to. Emulation I know takes its toll needing many times the original power of the console. I appreciate the work the devs have done, bar-none the best compatibility of any other emu.