About Atlus games(Shin Megami Tensei series)
Hi, sorry I know there were threads about this already. But I just want to make sure about something about the SMT games since I got all the games the other day online and wanted to try it out on my computer.

First my desktop configuration is:
corei7 920 @ 2.67GHz
Nvidia GTX 285
6GB RAM

I tried to run the games with latest beta but came across several issues.
For all the SMT games(exclude Persona series), it seems the latest Gsdx has the z-depth clitch with the objects that you can see through. I did some search and know rev1406 could work on it. But when I ran with rev1406, for Noctorne the speed in most scenes is full but there is some frame drops(around 50fps-ish) when there are more than 3 NPC on the same screen; for Digital Devil Saga, the slow down is much more frequent, especially with big scenes. Even the battle in DDS can sometimes slow down to 50fps.

Also another common problem is games hang up and crash a lot. Especially when you enter a new area, the game will crash some times with the EE error. Also the games will hang up some times when u go to the new area with only the black screen and music playing in the background. (it happened one time in the battle in Nocturne. Pressed the button to choose the command, but nothing happened afterwards with only music playing).

Anyway, I'm just posting this to confirm/consult others if you guys have the same problem or is it just me? Because many people say Nocturne can run perfectly. Also the slow down in DDS, it seems quite unusual since it uses the same engine as Nocturne.

Sponsored links

I got all the games the other day online <-- huh? downloaded or you had to put your isos "online" or what? Oo

Please make sure you read our rules, specially #1.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/announcement-1.html
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
maybe he bought em in some online shop or ebay? Tongue
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
(09-19-2009, 03:37 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: I got all the games the other day online <-- huh? downloaded or you had to put your isos "online" or what? Oo

Please make sure you read our rules, specially #1.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/announcement-1.html

I mean bought them online for collection.
Another problem/bug found.
Whenever after you use savestate and the games enter the loading screen(eg. battle, new area), there will be EE tlb missing crash. Tested on beta rev1736. I don't see other games have the same issue but just the shin megami tensei games, which is really weird.
Yeah, these are all known and got fixed recently. Get the latest beta of pcsx2, and DON'T use your old savestates!
Start playing with your regular memory card save and it should be stable.
(09-21-2009, 06:12 PM)rama Wrote: Yeah, these are all known and got fixed recently. Get the latest beta of pcsx2, and DON'T use your old savestates!
Start playing with your regular memory card save and it should be stable.

Really? Okay, can you just quickly answer me 2 things?
1. The z-depth issue was fixed already? I tested them on Gsdx rev 1650 and it's still there. I'm using the official beta rev1736 for pcsx2 main program. Which rev should I look into? By latest do you mean the ones with legacy GUI or the new ones?
2. Yes I play with memory card. But just wondering will I be able to play with savestate with the fixed version?

UPDATE: just tested on the latest Gsdx plugin rev1846. Like the recent ones, the shadow issue is fixed but the z-depth issue still exists. You can still see through the texture.
GSdx r1406 shouldnt be slow specially in your card (I dont get GSdx related slowdown using that one at least and my system is weak compared to yours) unless you're using a too high internal res I guess in which case just try reducing it or using the "native" checkbox. On another note the Nocturne see thru bug was fixed for me after some r15xx revision and didnt come back anyway (but it's still there on Digital Devil Saga), are you using D3D10 renderer?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-21-2009, 07:47 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: GSdx r1406 shouldnt be slow specially in your card (I dont get GSdx related slowdown using that one at least and my system is weak compared to yours) unless you're using a too high internal res I guess in which case just try reducing it or using the "native" checkbox. On another note the Nocturne see thru bug was fixed for me after some r15xx revision and didnt come back anyway (but it's still there on Digital Devil Saga), are you using D3D10 renderer?

Yeah, I'm basically using r1406 to play both games and I always run on DX10 mode. I remember I tried r1650 on Nocturne a while ago but I still got the see through problem. Since you said so, maybe I should check it again.

The slow down was actually solved by some tweaking. No Nocturne runs quite smooth but DDS still has quite a bit of slow scenes(eg. outside of the home base).

Also in both games, savestate doesn't work well like in my post above. Can you also confirm that? I used savestate on the same beta version but still got EE tlb missing crashing when the game needed to load.

UPDATE: just tested Nocturne with the latest Gsdx, the see through problem still exists, which is not surprising to me because DDS and Nocturne essentially use the same engine. With the latest Gsdx, in both games the shadow overlapping issue is fixed but z-depth issue is still there. I think I will have to revert to r1406 to play it. But I'm just curious that since what version shadow is fixed and see through problem starts to emerge? r1406 is last working one so the next version generates the problem? Is there a version that happens to fix both problems?
Yeah r1406 is the last working version methinks.

Cheers.