About savefiles and We Love Katamari.
People, I need advice for something quite... "Risky"

This is what happened, I bought a game called We Love Katamari, which is NTSC, it worked fine and all that, however I kept my purchase a secret, for anyone that knows the game, can understand why. But in my birthday, a friend gave me the game! The only thing is that I noticed that it was the PAL version. The point is, I eventually realized that the PAL version contains a few changes, changes that made me wanna prefer this version more.

I already got quite far in the game, and even if it is fun and addicting, I haven't completed it yet, I made a few things that I thought were quite impossible, and that I think I'll never repeat.

The problem is: the data is from the NTSC version of the game, if I insert the PAL version and load the data, will it load it and work properly? Will it cause damage to the original saved data? And if it doesn't work, is there any way to make it work?

I still have the PAL version untouched, I can return it if I want it, and I might give away the NTSC version, but before I do anything I need to know if the saved data from the NTSC game will work with the PAL version, even if it is virtually the same game.

I hope that whoever approaches this problem has any knowledge about what the game's all about (I mean played the game, not read about it from wikipedia).

PS: I know this doesn't have anything to do with PCSX2, but I figured this palce might have a good chance for PS2 support.

Sponsored links

The savefile probably would not be compatible between NTSC due to different RAW identification formats. Here is a program showing the differing ID numbers of games.

By the way...I am a male and I greatly enjoy all the Katamari games. They are loads of fun, even if they are silly.

Attached Files
.exe   ps2vers.exe (Size: 24 KB / Downloads: 359)
(01-01-2013, 02:04 AM)DaTankAC Wrote: The savefile probably would not be compatible between NTSC due to different RAW identification formats. Here is a program showing the differing ID numbers of games.

By the way...I am a male and I greatly enjoy all the Katamari games. They are loads of fun, even if they are silly.

Alright, once I download this program, what do I need to do?

BTW, I didn't mean to insult, I don't think the game is... What you think, I meant that it is too silly for someone to understand my purchase, even if I showed to them.
With this program run it while your NTSC disc is in the DVD drive. Write down the ID number. Then compare it to PAL version. They will most certainly be different. Plus if you have a copy of MYMC and extracted both saves (PAL an NTSC) from your virtual memory card, you will also see they have different ID numbers. Therefore is it interpreted as 2 different games. Which also means that the data from PAL most likely cannot be used on NTSC, and vice versa. But...I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Smile

Here is the website with the MYMC memory card extractor.

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca:11068/mymc/

No I was not insulted at all. Not everyone will understand the purchase of a game with silly box art and game play in a day and age of games with guns, shooting, and all sorts of other serious tones. What games you purchase is your business so enjoy them. Smile
Well, now that I know that it won't work and there's no way around it, I suppose I can try the last option: Trying to load the game myself.

The thing is that I fear that if I try to load it, it'll convert the NTSC save file into "Corrupt data" and make it unreadable for both versions, and like I said, there are achievements that I can't repeat.

Assuming you know about this Katamari game, you know that there are fan requests that are needed to be completed, and one of them consist on making a Katamari of a certain size without knowing how good I'm doing (The Saturn level). I swear to god I managed to get the EXACT size on the "Medium" level while I was doing a casual run, trying to get the present. I got it safe and saved in the Cosmos and I can take a picture to prove it, I guarantee it.

Is small things like this that I wanna secure, and it would be a shame if I lose it. So you know my problem, is there a possibility that the saved data gets corrupted?
I'm not sure it would even load in the first place, let alone get corrupted, but there is always a risk. It's been awhile since I played We Love Katamari (my favorite is Katamari Damacy), but for the challenge of getting the exact size without seeing your progress, your best bet is to use savestates.
Well, is all or nothing now, better bite the bullet and hope for the best. Thanks for the help anyway, and happy new year!