About to get a new computer. What can I expect?
So basically my current machine is beginning to fail on me so I'm planning on replacing it very soon (it's a 2007 gaming PC and has had quite a lot of use over the course of those 5 years). The specs for the new machine I am getting are going to be:

Processor: Intel i7 2600k Quad Core Overclocked to 4.2 Ghz
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1866
Primary Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD (Solid State Drive)
Secondary Hard Drive: Western Digital Hard Drive 2 Terabytes Black
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB
Power Supply: Antec Truepower Quattro 1200W Power Supply
Cooling: Thermalright Venomous X-RT 6 HeatPipes CPU Cooler

My question is will the above machine run practically any PS2 game well (if not full speed) on PCSX2? I just want an idea as to what to expect. I heard Grand Turismo 4 gave some people trouble at 4.2Ghz but I don't own that game so I won't be playing it.

Sponsored links

Just 1 word: OVERKILL!

Exception: Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, and few others... but they should work well with speedhacks.
I have a similar machine (with the only exception of an ASUS HD7870 2GB instead of an Nvidia card and a Noctua DH-14 cooler).

No problem running full speed everything i tried so far at 3x internal resolution using DX11. Even MTG3 only drops some frames at brief moments during some cutscenes and it doesn't affect gameplay. GT4 runs at a constant 60fps at 3x internal res.

(Note that i haven't overclocked the CPU. With a good cooler you can reach speeds close to 5Ghz)
You're right GeoMan about getting close to 5Ghz. There is actually a 4.7Ghz machine I could get instead (most of the other specs are the same) but then I would have to move to Water Cooling which I don't really want. If 4.2Ghz is already considered "overkill" for PCSX2 and you report that you get full speed on even the most demanding games (give or take a cutscene or two), then I guess I will be fine with that.
(06-16-2012, 02:19 PM)djnforce9 Wrote: You're right GeoMan about getting close to 5Ghz. There is actually a 4.7Ghz machine I could get instead (most of the other specs are the same) but then I would have to move to Water Cooling which I don't really want. If 4.2Ghz is already considered "overkill" for PCSX2 and you report that you get full speed on even the most demanding games (give or take a cutscene or two), then I guess I will be fine with that.

You don't need to overclock the i72600 CPU. It will increase its clock speed when it is required - i have set the Bios to Performance mode and i have seen mine going from 3.40Ghz to 4.40Ghz when needed without any manual overclocking.

Even with a very good PC there are games that you don't expect to have fps problems, but they do: Hot Shots Golf Fore! for example.
It drops to 30fps (using 3x internal res) when your golfer is about to hit the ball - i imagine that's because the emu renders every single leaf seen on the field in hires! Biggrin
(06-17-2012, 01:37 AM)GeoMan Wrote: Even with a very good PC there are games that you don't expect to have fps problems, but they do: Hot Shots Golf Fore! for example.
It drops to 30fps (using 3x internal res) when your golfer is about to hit the ball - i imagine that's because the emu renders every single leaf seen on the field in hires! Biggrin

...or the PS2 doesn't understand the meaning of "mipmapping" lol. Anyway, still good to know in case I'm left wondering why a certain game is running weird. I'm also guessing something that isn't emulated very well might cause slowdown since it wouldn't be optimized yet but the extra power should hopefully compensate somewhat. Can't wait to see what God of War will look like 3x res. That game looked amazing enough when I played on the real hardware.