Advanced deinterlace filter ?
(10-30-2013, 07:28 PM)Innuendo Wrote: Nope, no confusion here. My point exactly. What we know as "output resolution" in the case of pcsx2, is the TV standard resolutio in case of a real ps2, wich is 480i (for ntsc). So when we play on the real ps2, it's the "output resolution" that is interlaced. But when we play on pcsx2, it's not the output resolution that is interlaced, but the rendering resolution wich could be like 640x448 or 512x12 etc depending on the game... That's what doesn't make sense to me.

When you hook your PC to your Tv, it is a progressive source converted to 480i, that's kosher. But have you tried converting an interlaced resolution to another inerlaced resolution? That's not that simple. The odd/evven feild's lines would be messed up. Such conversion is not possible, or it would take very very advanced calculations and severe loss of qulaity. So why would the ps2 render games 512x512 interlaced just to convert them to 720x480 interlaced ? That couldnt be right... I bet it works some other way, like the game getting rendered proigressively and then converted to 480i. But then why do we get 512i rendering on pcsx2? : \

Yes, I tried GS mode selector too, but it didn't make a difference.

In the old times, I used to have such a VGA mode selector for my old ps2 too. I used it with the vga cable from the linux kit. The output resultion was progressive indeed, as it xould be displayed on my pc monitor, but certain games had the same shaking interlacing artifacts like what we experience in pcsx2. Even XRGB2 cold do a better job... At least that tool could reduce the shaking somehow, I don't know it did it, but it did a pretty good job. Too bad I sold it long ago.

Okay, I see what you are saying now. I was misunderstanding. In order to convert interlaced to interlaced, wouldn't you need to convert to progressive and then back to interlaced? @_@

I imagine the game itself IS rendered progressive... I'm trying to think how you could even render in interlaced? It probably is as you say. Maybe the reason PCSX2 is doing it like it does is since it's using LLE and not HLE? Guessing here.

I had a DIY VGA cable I made from a PS2 component. Since the monitor didn't support any interlaced resolutions and the old version of GSMS wouldn't auto boot in freemcboot, I had to launch it and change to 480p by memory. The last game I played like that was FFXII IZJS and it didn't work by default through GSMS, I had to do something weird... I forget how I did it.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD

Sponsored links

Imo, it would make more sense to try implement a progressive hack, rather than another deinterlace filter. Which wouldn't work for all games of course, but it's better than nothing. As of right now, I can enable the progressive flag for most games I've tried, in memory with pnaches.
Care to release any of those patches? :-D
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
(10-30-2013, 09:18 PM)Asmodean Wrote: Imo, it would make more sense to try implement a progressive hack, rather than another deinterlace filter. Which wouldn't work for all games of course, but it's better than nothing. As of right now, I can enable the progressive flag for most games I've tried, in memory with pnaches.

Indeed progressive would be the best.
Could you explain the method you use more detialed?
Have you tried any of the Devil may Cry games by any chance?
At some point I was wondering if it was possible to render as if it was an interlaced video stream, then let the gpu deinterlacer do its magic. Even if it's SW mode only, I would've liked to see that vector adaptive mode in action.
[Image: nbKSK.jpg]
(10-31-2013, 02:50 PM)Innuendo Wrote: Indeed progressive would be the best.
Could you explain the method you use more detialed?
Have you tried any of the Devil may Cry games by any chance?

It's pretty easy to check, if the game can be ran in progressive.

In the games' ELF, search for:
002C0500 2000B2FF 00340600 1000B1FF 003C0700

(and if it exists)

Replace it with this:
0000053C 2000B2FF 5000063C 1000B1FF 0100073C

The easiest way to do this would be using the Patch Converter & ELF Search Application, by pelvicthrustman, which I have a link for in the OP of the widescreen thread in my signature.

You will get three addresses and corresponding values. You only need one of these addresses, so you try each one and find out which one works.

If the game won't work right off the bat with them, it will produce a black screen, or a wrong Y resolution, which needs to be patched using a Y axis fix;

search;
70FFBD27 002C0500 7000B6FF 00340600 6000B5FF 003C0700 5000B4FF 00440800 4000B3FF 004C0900

replace with;
70FFBD27 002C0500 7000B6FF 00340600 6000B5FF 003C0700 5000B4FF 00440800 4000B3FF 1000093C

It's just trial and error to see what games will work with it.
I am hoping i can make most my games progressive that need interlacing.
Would a progressive patch do anything for games like FFX that don't need interlacing?

Edit: I'm guessing Dark Cloud won't be fixable, I did the above and got a vertical Resolution of 244, and even though it said it was "progressive" the screen still shook as if it was interlaced. Tried it with all 3 of the pnatches i got from search, two worked doing the above, one didn't enable progressive.
And when i tried to use the Y resolution fix i didn't get anything in the elf when searching :/

Edit2: Before i waste my time, Is there an option to simulate holding triangle and X down to enable progressive? Or should i work on making patches for known working progressive games? Just so they are forced to boot in progressive.

Edit3: Okay so it seems that any game i try that actually needs interlacing the image still shakes no matter what i do :/

Edit4: (i bet everyone is tired of these..) Of games that need interlacing i've tried, All NTSC-U
Dark Cloud: Wrong Y resolution, cannot fix it by finding the Y Fix values, Screen still shakes
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter: Wrong Y resolution, Can find the Y Fix values but the patch doesn't fix it, screen still shakes.
Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition: Wrong Y resolution, Can find the Y Fix values but the patch doesn't fix it, screen still shakes.

Games that did work, DBZ Tenkaichi 2, Final Fantasy X: International, Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix Plus (English patched). though none of those require interlacing.. So my question still stands, If these patches cannot remove the need for interlacing. What does Progressive output do?
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
(11-01-2013, 09:11 AM)Asmodean Wrote: *

you are a genius for your method
however, is it meant only for NTSC region?
because i have some PAL games, and i would swear that the timings are messed up

i suppose this is because the games were meant to run at 50FPS while now they are running at steady 60

what should be the replacing hex in this case?
The method is flawed (from all tests I've found) it does switch the progressive flag to on, However. i've tested the 3 above games (which all require deinterlacing) and although it is displaying "Progressive Frame" the screen still jitters around as if it was still interlaced.

Any game that i've tried that doesn't need it, Of course works fine, But now my question is, what does this do for us since it cannot solve the interlacing issue? Because it doesn't seem to effect any of the games i've tried at all. the internal resolution is the same, the jitter is still the same, Or still missing. Either or.
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
Isn't that a trick to use with interlaced modes to hide aliasing or something like that?
[Image: nbKSK.jpg]