Advanced deinterlace filter ?
Hello, pcsx2 enthusiasts and developers.

Would it be possible to implement an advanced deinterlacing method into gsdx?

While bob works well with higher resolutions, it does not with native res and thus SW mode. On native res the picture still shakes and that makes everything blurry.

Weave makes all the still parts perfecty sharp, but the surfaces in motion are horrible.

The solution is motion adaptive deinterlacing, weave for still surfaces and bob for motion surfaces. This method has been used in video decoding for a long time.
It would be great if gsdx could do it too.

Sponsored links

I'm sure it's possible, but should we use time on making this idea work when we could be working on compatability, speed increases, and game fixes?
It would be a great addition to PCSX2! But lets get everything working top notch first, and then add special features
I've seen a lot of games able to force to display in progessive mode. So i think making those patches would be more worth while then implementing a deinterlacing filter
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
We'd need someone with a background in the field, maybe someone that worked on DScaler or who otherwise came
in contact with advanced deinterlacing.
A good filter would probably give nearly as nice results as a progressive image.
(10-24-2013, 04:11 AM)wyndnra1n Wrote: I'm sure it's possible, but should we use time on making this idea work when we could be working on compatability, speed increases, and game fixes?
It would be a great addition to PCSX2! But lets get everything working top notch first, and then add special features

I beleive this subject should be considered to be another graphics issue as well. What's the point of all the bug-hunting and compatibiliy work when the final result's quality is ruined by such a smal issue? The point is to let people enjoy them ps2 games in their best form, isn't it? Te final result of all the developing. Well, take me for example. I wanted to play this game, but l feel like it's unenjoyable this way, so this issue makes me decide not to play it at all. Then what was the point of all that precious work to get this far? It goes down the drain, at least for me, and probably others too.

(10-24-2013, 03:49 PM)hellbringer616 Wrote: I've seen a lot of games able to force to display in progessive mode. So i think making those patches would be more worth while then implementing a deinterlacing filter

Indeed that would be a great solution too. The best one, actually. I see no promising horizons for that though :-c

The particular game I'm concerned about here is Devil May Cry 3.

Currently, only software rendering mode is capable of getting the lighting effects and post processing effects right (wich sadly is completely missing from the PC version too), but that looks real bad and blurry because of interlacing issues : \

I tried GS mode selector too but it makes no difference. It's still interlaced internally.

(10-24-2013, 04:11 PM)rama Wrote: We'd need someone with a background in the field, maybe someone that worked on DScaler or who otherwise came
in contact with advanced deinterlacing.
A good filter would probably give nearly as nice results as a progressive image.

Well... didn't Gabest develop Media Player Classic? ... He might know this and that on the subject.
He did, and that's prolly the reason we have a rather big selection of interlacing modes. It could be worse Tongue2
By the way, there's something that doesn't make sense to me.

The TV standards have 480 or 576 interlaced lines, so that's what the output resolution of the ps2 should be, independently of the rendering resolution.
But then, when we run pcsx2, it seems like the rendering resolution gets interlaced... And we get resolutions like 512x512 intelraced. Why? 512 interlaced lines doesn't make any sence... no way it works like that on the ps2. It can't be... 512 ionterlaced lines cannot be converted to 480i or 576i.. It should work like the ps2 renders it 512x512 progressive and then converts it to 720x480i or something like that.... But rendering 512 interlaced lines?... That just doesnt make sense Huh
(10-29-2013, 10:36 PM)Innuendo Wrote: By the way, there's something that doesn't make sense to me.

The TV standards have 480 or 576 interlaced lines, so that's what the output resolution of the ps2 should be, independently of the rendering resolution.
But then, when we run pcsx2, it seems like the rendering resolution gets interlaced... And we get resolutions like 512x512 intelraced. Why? 512 interlaced lines doesn't make any sence... no way it works like that on the ps2. It can't be... 512 ionterlaced lines cannot be converted to 480i or 576i.. It should work like the ps2 renders it 512x512 progressive and then converts it to 720x480i or something like that.... But rendering 512 interlaced lines?... That just doesnt make sense Huh

Aren't you confusing the internal resolution with the output resolution? I used to have a computer hooked to a standard CRT TV with an svideo cable, I could set resolutions up to 1024x768 - but the TV output was still 480i. It's really not different than what happens if you play a 1920x1080 video on a 1600x900 monitor. Some pixels get averaged.

More on topic, can't we use applications like asmodean's ps2force480p on the iso before loading it? Well I know we can, because a lot of my rips are from backups with that applied. And pcsx2 displays porgressive in the gsdx output window so...

And does Graphics Synthesizer mode selector work on PCSX2?
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f291/gs-mode...ack-61808/

*rushes off to try*

Edit: it works(dlanor's version), but it drops back to interlaced when you load a game Sad
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I tried Persona 4 with force480p, it worked BUT it doesn't look right(blurry). Used to look great on my plasma though...

[Image: p4_zps62bd7dab.png]

Edit: I AM AN IDIOT. I left my Xenosaga HW hacks on... Well here it is looking NICE.

[Image: p42_zpsf84e2d59.png]
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(10-30-2013, 12:20 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Aren't you confusing the internal resolution with the output resolution? I used to have a computer hooked to a standard CRT TV with an svideo cable, I could set resolutions up to 1024x768 - but the TV output was still 480i. It's really not different than what happens if you play a 1920x1080 video on a 1600x900 monitor. Some pixels get averaged.

Nope, no confusion here. My point exactly. What we know as "output resolution" in the case of pcsx2, is the TV standard resolutio in case of a real ps2, wich is 480i (for ntsc). So when we play on the real ps2, it's the "output resolution" that is interlaced. But when we play on pcsx2, it's not the output resolution that is interlaced, but the rendering resolution wich could be like 640x448 or 512x12 etc depending on the game... That's what doesn't make sense to me.

When you hook your PC to your Tv, it is a progressive source converted to 480i, that's kosher. But have you tried converting an interlaced resolution to another inerlaced resolution? That's not that simple. The odd/evven feild's lines would be messed up. Such conversion is not possible, or it would take very very advanced calculations and severe loss of qulaity. So why would the ps2 render games 512x512 interlaced just to convert them to 720x480 interlaced ? That couldnt be right... I bet it works some other way, like the game getting rendered proigressively and then converted to 480i. But then why do we get 512i rendering on pcsx2? : \

(10-30-2013, 12:20 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: More on topic, can't we use applications like asmodean's ps2force480p on the iso before loading it? Well I know we can, because a lot of my rips are from backups with that applied. And pcsx2 displays porgressive in the gsdx output window so...

And does Graphics Synthesizer mode selector work on PCSX2?
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f291/gs-mode...ack-61808/

*rushes off to try*

Edit: it works(dlanor's version), but it drops back to interlaced when you load a game Sad

Yes, I tried GS mode selector too, but it didn't make a difference.

In the old times, I used to have such a VGA mode selector for my old ps2 too. I used it with the vga cable from the linux kit. The output resultion was progressive indeed, as it xould be displayed on my pc monitor, but certain games had the same shaking interlacing artifacts like what we experience in pcsx2. Even XRGB2 cold do a better job... At least that tool could reduce the shaking somehow, I don't know it did it, but it did a pretty good job. Too bad I sold it long ago.