After playing around with FFX...
After all these FFX topics... I notice something very interesting. This could be a bug but am not sure. I can run the game fine at 5x native res at full 60fps no problems. As soon as I put it on 6x native res it all goes to crap. The average fps I get is like 13.3. The game shouldn't be THIS demanding. I mean

I ran God of War at 6x native res pretty fine at full 60 FPS in a lot of parts. In intensive scenes such as the part with the Hydra It would dip down to like 42FPS. Here in FFX at 6x native nothing at all is going on I am standing on the salvage boat in the very beginning of the game just after you meet Riku and get 13.3fps.

This does not make sense but and assuming its a emulator flaw?
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3

Sponsored links

You're just running into VRAM bottlenecks. Different games use different amounts of memory, and it's not necessarily dependent on how fancy looking or how new the game is.
Also, using internal resolutions higher than your output resolution will just result in what is basically a simple anti-aliasing via supersampling (not the most efficient thing in the world). Try lower resolutions and play around with MSAA instead.

That is to say, there's nothing buggy or flawed about this. You're just running into the limitations of your system. That's an internal res of what, around 3800x2700? That's a LOT of pixels to push (and also overkill, but see above Smile).
some blur games like raiden 3, warrior orochi 2 if you up scale it the games still fast. I even don't know it... it may false reading resolution.. Hope devs can explain it... Smile
(11-15-2012, 04:33 AM)Eloris Wrote: You're just running into VRAM bottlenecks. Different games use different amounts of memory, and it's not necessarily dependent on how fancy looking or how new the game is.
Also, using internal resolutions higher than your output resolution will just result in what is basically a simple anti-aliasing via supersampling (not the most efficient thing in the world). Try lower resolutions and play around with MSAA instead.

That is to say, there's nothing buggy or flawed about this. You're just running into the limitations of your system. That's an internal res of what, around 3800x2700? That's a LOT of pixels to push (and also overkill, but see above Smile).

Limitations of my system? Are you sure? I mean my system isnt GODLY but damn... I think its just how it does things with FFX. I ran many games fine full 60fps at 6x native res. If this really was bottlenecking my system I wouldn't be able to play any game at 6x native then in this case. Am I wrong? According to what you just said this will be trueand can't run ANY game well at all at 6x native res and yet I can. So I really doubt its my system.

Any other ideas?
I told you. This can vary a lot between games. You can't really compare this to PC games. I'm sure rama or refraction can go into more detail here how pcsx2 uses VRAM and what some games do that ends up using a lot more memory than others, but that's pretty much it.
SO If I upped my VRAM then it would be fine then?

But I shouldn't need VRAM for anything with my 8GB of RAM but I guess the emulator is a special case.
VRAM doesn't have anything to do with the amount of system RAM you have. Get a tool like GPU-Z or anything else that is able to measure VRAM usage and look for yourself. Although I'm guessing it's more likely to be a bandwidth issue than all available memory filling up, but hey. Ultimately, it doesn't make that much of a difference in that you just have to accept that you cannot run all games at the same settings.
I damn well know I can't run all games at the same settings. But going from 5x native res with full 60fps down to 13 at x6 is screwed up.

You are confusing me!!!! One can increase the amount of VRAM on their system. As I was saying if I were to increase it I would see a performance difference, yes? No? If not then what are you saying man?
The only way to increase your VRAM is to buy a better GPU. Post a screenshot of GPU-Z so we can see your specs.

Otherwise I have no idea why you're trying to run the game at an internal res that's definitely gotta be much higher than your actual monitor's native res anyway. There's no real benefit whatsoever other than bragging rights or testing purposes. I was perfectly happy playing FFX & FFX-2 at 1024x1024. Still had a few jaggies here and there, but nothing game-breaking.
VRAM to me means Virtual memory... This is where I got confused on.

You're absolutely wrong about that. Its not for bragging rights. Their is a major difference in the way the game looks. It has nothing to do with your monitors native res. Its called internal res for a reason. I could be using a 800x600 native res monitor and have the game at 6x native res and it will still look at the resolution it should be in. The only thing that changes here is the max window size the emulator is capable of going to for your monitors native res.

As for my specs. If you really want a copy of my CPU-Z report fine I'll give it. It will just be easier to type them down however... But I will comply.

Well CPU-Z doesn't disply my specs properly anyways so I'll list them as detailed as I can.

Intel Core I5 3570k 4.0GHZ

HD Radeon 2GB 6950. Core clock 820MHZ. Memory clock 1250mhz

8GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM