Air Combat 5 HOTAS emulation: is it possible?
According to Wikipedia they made a throttle and stick for this game:
Quote:The Flightstick 2 connects to the PS2 through a USB port. Unlike the PS2 DualShock 2 controller, the Flightstick 2 uses a HOTAS, or "hands on throttle and stick" design similar to that used in actual aircraft. The right hand controls the flight stick, which controls the plane's attitude; the left hand controls the throttle. Buttons, D-pads, and rudder controls are placed directly onto either the flight stick or the throttle. Although the Flightstick 2 does not offer force feedback, it does have a vibration feature. Although the Flightstick 2 was targeted specifically for use with Ace Combat 5, not all of the buttons on the peripheral are utilized in the game.

Unfortunately I don't have one. However, I do have an X-55 Rhino.
Is it somehow possible to make the game think I have a Flightstick 2 connected and just bind my X-55 to it?
Obviously, binding the controls as pad buttons is no good, because while the stick can be bound, the throttle is not recognized properly since the game thinks you're using the digital L1/R1 buttons for throttle/brake instead of an axis. I've looked in the options menu of the game itself and it won't let you change anything except inversion. Can anything be done?

Sponsored links

Someone will have to add it to one of the USB plugins, I don't think there's one that currently supports it.
Hmm, with the recent developments in the wheel and microphone areas, would this now be a reasonable possibility? Is it even necessary? (i am guessing it is, for things like the throttle to work as intended, but i am not too sure on that).
(11-13-2016, 02:14 AM)LegendOfAB Wrote: Hmm, with the recent developments in the wheel and microphone areas, would this now be a reasonable possibility? Is it even necessary? (i am guessing it is, for things like the throttle to work as intended, but i am not too sure on that).
I don't know which of those developments would benefit this, but as long as no one is working on it, it won't happen. The trouble with this device is that it's pretty rare, there's not a lof of information on it online, and it is only supported by 4 games. I'm not sure if there's anyone who's interested in making/expanding a plugin to make it work.
(06-09-2016, 09:32 PM)fedaykin Wrote: According to Wikipedia they made a throttle and stick for this game:

Unfortunately I don't have one. However, I do have an X-55 Rhino.
Is it somehow possible to make the game think I have a Flightstick 2 connected and just bind my X-55 to it?
Obviously, binding the controls as pad buttons is no good, because while the stick can be bound, the throttle is not recognized properly since the game thinks you're using the digital L1/R1 buttons for throttle/brake instead of an axis. I've looked in the options menu of the game itself and it won't let you change anything except inversion. Can anything be done?

I have the Hori FlightStick 2 from the Ace Combat 5 bundle. I was actually able to find Windows drivers for it also so I tried it out some time ago. Once I found the correct Windows drivers for it, I just mapped it like it was a regular controller like you did. The main issue I had with it was that the pad plugin saw the mode selector switch on the throttle side (which was actually unused on the PS2 to begin with) as a button input and tried to map all of the buttons to the mode selection. I had to trick it by getting it in between 2 modes so it wouldn't be recognized. And also, like you've pointed out, it doesn't recognize the buttons as pressure sensitive or the throttle as an axis. When I tried it out, PCSX2 still only had the USBnull plugin, so I haven't tried it with any of the updated USB plugins.
The Mini(ITX) Box V2 a.k.a. Nighthawk
Ryzen 7 3700X | 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 | ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming | EVGA GTX 1660Ti SC Ultra Gaming | Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | EVGA 600BQ
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit