Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing achievements in emulation!
Hi;

Wanted to make a slightly different type of thread. Basically, this thread is to celebrate an emulator/emulators which you feel are amazing. Now, that could probably mean most emulators, since they're all works of art in their own way. So I guess what I'm asking is, list one or two of the ones you really cherish. And yes, I'm sure PCSX2 will come up a lot - deservedly so!

For me, personally, the most amazing is probably SSF - the Sega Saturn emulator. While the Saturn isn't the most powerful system to be emulated so far, it was the system that, for many years, many said couldn't be emulated due to its complexity and weird/convoluted architecture. The incredible thing is, SSF has been written entirely by ONE person from Japan, who goes by the name of Shima. And if you think this is a big undertaking - you'd be right. As near as I can tell, he's been working on the emulator for close to 12 (yes, TWELVE) years! It's also a very close match for a Saturn, I've compared it to my Saturn running on an old CRT, and some games are literally PIXEL perfect. Unbelievable!

So yeah, your turn!

Sponsored links

Pcsx2 and Epsxe. With Project 64 3rd and Dolphin 4th.

Although I only use Dolphin for Resi 0 and 1 remake pretty much.

All of their creators need some sort of gaming award or something Smile
CPU: i9 20Ghz 40-core
GPU: GTX 129000 in Octo-SLI
RAM: 64GB DDREKT69
Monitor: 800x600 15" CRT
SSF is amazing to me too, along with Xebra (my fav PS1 emu). Both are very accurate and developed by one-man teams. One emu to look out for is PPSSPP. In less than half a year it's made incredible progress.

And I think it goes without saying PCSX2 is very impressive, especially in software mode.
(04-13-2013, 03:42 AM)synce Wrote: SSF is amazing to me too, along with Xebra (my fav PS1 emu). Both are very accurate and developed by one-man teams. One emu to look out for is PPSSPP. In less than half a year it's made incredible progress.

And I think it goes without saying PCSX2 is very impressive, especially in software mode.

Not to mention, it's making remarkable progress with Hardware mode as well!
(04-13-2013, 03:42 AM)synce Wrote: One emu to look out for is PPSSPP. In less than half a year it's made incredible progress.

I remember when I first saw it back in November, I tried the cube.elf on my Android and I thought it was so awesome. Now look at it, it has made substantial progress in so little time.
Silent Hill 2 and 3 has issues in software mode that I wish they'd fix since I only play in software mode. Hardware mode has post processing effects removed in every game that has it, especially Okami.
Every emulator is an amazing achievement, from the rumble Master System and NES to the most modern... and ALL had to deal dearly with hardware limitations at it's time. Some had great part of the core made in assembly so to get the thing at decent performance on 486, Pentium/k6 ... passing by pentium 4 and so on till getting to the wonderful icore which our grandson's may find "how ridiculous we were".

Those systems could look easy to emulate but that's far from true and most of them take years to get near completion, PCSX2 is not exception to this rule, when it started there was no real hope to play any commercial game at those days hardware, no previous work to base upon on the specific emulated system but enjoying the advances at general emulation methods and approaches. Not only the emulators are developed... the emulation itself has been developed and advanced since the dawn of time.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(04-13-2013, 01:10 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Every emulator is an amazing achievement, from the rumble Master System and NES to the most modern... and ALL had to deal dearly with hardware limitations at it's time. Some had great part of the core made in assembly so to get the thing at decent performance on 486, Pentium/k6 ... passing by pentium 4 and so on till getting to the wonderful icore which our grandson's may find "how ridiculous we were".

Those systems could look easy to emulate but that's far from true and most of them take years to get near completion, PCSX2 is not exception to this rule, when it started there was no real hope to play any commercial game at those days hardware, no previous work to base upon on the specific emulated system but enjoying the advances at general emulation methods and approaches. Not only the emulators are developed... the emulation itself has been developed and advanced since the dawn of time.

If the makers (the original ones) of the PS2 were to help out (which unfortunately I doubt will ever happen) or any other console were to help make the emulator I think that it'd be so much more far ahead than it is now. Too bad that the chances of that happening are close to none.
(04-13-2013, 01:10 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: the emulation itself has been developed and advanced since the dawn of time.

Humans have only been around approx 100,000 years so that's highly doubtful xD
CPU: i9 20Ghz 40-core
GPU: GTX 129000 in Octo-SLI
RAM: 64GB DDREKT69
Monitor: 800x600 15" CRT
(04-13-2013, 04:36 PM)Fezzer Wrote: Humans have only been around approx 100,000 years so that's highly doubtful xD

I have something deep to say about this: Meh! Smile

Anyway, context is everything, the whole contextual block is:
Quote: Not only the emulators are developed... the emulation itself has been developed and advanced since the dawn of time.

Meaning not only the emulators evolute but the very concept of emulation does also.
Imagination is where we are truly real