Amd Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz can't get full speed?
I am trying to play some games with the emulator(0.9.8), but I realized that the EE wasn't fast enough, so the game get only 30-40 fps.
I tested several plugins of video and sound but it wasn't this plugins, it was the EE.
So I tried to use some EE and VU hacks and it worked, i got full speed, but with some bugs because of the hacks.

So I was thinking if there is a way to make it run with full speed but without the bugs, because I think that my processor is able to run it without hacks.

My PC config is

Amd Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz
Ati Radeon HD 5750 Overclocked to 870mhz
4Gb Ram DDR2 800mhz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

The hacks that I am using are
Emotion Engine (EE) Cyclerate on level 3
VU Cycle Stealing on level 2
Enable INTC Spin detection on
Enable Wait Loop detection on
mVU flag hack on
mVU block hack on

The hack that is causing the bugs is the VU Cycle Stealing, but without it i can't get full speed.

The games that i tested are
God of War
Shadow of the Colossus

Sorry for my english, I am brazilian.

Sponsored links

Welcome to the world of PS2 emulation! Smile

First thing you should know, is that your CPU is not fast enough itself for some of what PCSX2 has to offer. It is a bit older, and being form AMD has never been a plus in this case.

Speedhacks are just like their name implies: they are hacks for speed. They can be very benefitial to the speed of emulation, but they also are not 100% compatible with every game. Some games do suffer from some ugly side effects.

You will, however, not get full speed without them in some cases. Having a faster CPU (newer and/or more Ghz) can be one way around the need for Speedhacks, but with some games, they will prove necessary. In example, I have yet to see Shadow of the Colossus maintain full speed without VU stealing.

(06-05-2011, 09:03 PM)lucas_nc Wrote: So I was thinking if there is a way to make it run with full speed but without the bugs, because I think that my processor is able to run it without hacks.

The developers of the emulator work at this in general. Compatibility is large part of their workings, but using Speedhacks does in fact alter compatibility. It's a bit of "this for that" (quid pro quo) when using Speedhacks. You do have a larger potential for bugs/glitches, but in return you get that speed increase you did need.

(06-05-2011, 09:03 PM)lucas_nc Wrote: The hack that is causing the bugs is the VU Cycle Stealing, but without it i can't get full speed.

It's good to identify which hack(s) in particular do cause issues with the given game. You may choose to avoid using that hack, but without it, you can't get full speed.
Thanks for the answer.

I just thought that my processor would be able to run it because I can run games like Crysis and Gta IV here, but it's sure that in a emulator the things are diferent.

But it's alredy good to play, the bugs are little and sometimes I just can't see them.

I will try to turn of the VU Cycle Stealing in some games to see if I can get full speed without it. And maybe I can try some overclock in my processor to get a better fps and turn off the VU Stealing.
try overclocking your CPU to 3.6ghz you will get the extra 10fps and you'll be fine. better speed on a processor gets rid of some graphical bugs as well. at least what ive seen.
(OS:Win7_64bit ULTIMATE) (M4a88TD-M asus mobo)
[Processor:AMD AthlonII x4 645 3.720ghz(OC)Quadcore]
VideoCard-[ATIradeon5750(OC) 850mhz 2GB
RAM-[DDR3-4GB Matched RAM w/ Heat Spreaders]HYperX BLU
cpu-cooler- H60 closed loop water cooling.
Faster CPU speed should NOT in and of itself get rid of graphic glitches UNLESS it allows you to turn off speed hacks or frame skipping as both of those things CAN cause graphic issues.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Hey guys, I need some answer one more time haha

I tried to do a overclock in my CPU, to see if I would get more fps, but when I did it(+400mhz in each core) there was no fps changes, just the EE usage droped from 99% to 90%, but the fps stayed in 50fps, and the limiter is set to 60fps.

So, what could do that if it's not my processor or my video card? Could it be Ram?

Thanks
Blink ... What region is this game...?

Ok, so you're running at +400Mhz on your CPU, but not using VU stealing, right? Which game? Shadow of the Colossus?

What are your video settings? Please post screen shots of your settings.
(06-06-2011, 10:21 PM)Rezard Wrote: Blink ... What region is this game...?

Ok, so you're not running at +400Mhz on your CPU, but not using VU stealing, right? Which game? Shadow of the Colossus?

What are your video settings? Please post screen shots of your settings.

yea the region; it would be very funny that the game was pal xD

ps shadow of the colossus i can play it in my athlon II [email protected] with minor problems(2x resolution >_<) great game btw.

That's is my config:
EE/IOP default
VUs default
GS default
Speed Hacks turned off
Games fixes turned off

That's a screen shots of some of my configs: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8206/semttulolpo.png

And the game is God of War, it's NTSC, because when I turn on the hacks it goes to 60 fps, and when I turn the turbo on, it don't pass 50 fps.

So, what you guys think could be doing this? Even with the [email protected] I couldn't get full speed, but the EE stay in 90% of usage, and the GS/Video card doesn't uses even 70% of their capacity.

Nobody knows?