Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amd x4 965 3.4Ghz 125W ||OR|| Intel i5 760 2.8Ghz
hi guys Happy
i really want your opinion about that
I'm plan to upgrade my pc:
so as the topic says " " which faster or you think it's better
Amd x4 965 3.4Ghz C3 125W 8MB ||OR|| Intel i5 760 2.8Ghz 8MB ???
I'm really confused
Edit #1 : i want decided first which CPU i gonna to buy (intel or amd) then i will look to good mainborad
I'm gonna upgrade my Ram and my PSU too
Smile

Sponsored links

The Intel machine will be faster (with our without overclocking considered).
Remember it has a "turbo" feature, increasing the core frequency to some 3.4Ghz.
PCSX2 runs faster on Intels architecture anyway.
i5 760
[Image: 1454055.png]
@rama @ChronicNL
thanks
then the architecture is more important here,even intel have 2.8ghz and amd 3.4ghz per core?
this turbo boost feature in intel count as overclock ?
since I'm not really like or plan to do overclock Tongue

what about temperature ? is intel have high temperature ? it need to buy for aftermarket cpu cooler , or the stock cooler that come with it do the job ?
i didn't used intel from ages Laugh .. i really don't know well about it .
well youre mother borad may not support intel then you have to buy a new one ( and even the amd one might dont work eighther because the cpu might not supported) and if you dont overloock it the temp well be fine but
yes i'm gonna buy new motherboard for sure, but i'm confuse first about cpu witch i chose intel oe amd .. then i will buy a good motherboard for it.
Checked his motherboard (MSI K9N Neo V2) and it looks like it doesn't support AM3 processors. Whichever way he goes, he's going to have to buy a new mobo.

Based on the FFX-2 benchmark, Lynnfield/Bloomfield is roughly 20% faster clock for clock comapared to the Phenom II. Performance-wise, the i5-760 running at 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost disabled will be roughly equivalent to a Phenom II running at 3.4GHz. With Turbo Boost enabled (and CPU affinity set to maximize Turbo), the i5-760 will clock at around 3.2~3.3GHz and you'll need 3.8GHz on the Phenom II to match.

Turbo Boost is kinda like overclocking except it does so in a way so as not to exceed the processor's thermal and power specifications. If you're not overclocking, though, I suggest waiting for Sandy Bridge (Q1'11). It seems to have a more aggressive Turbo compared to current Nehalem processors. Right now isn't really the best time to build a new PC.
i want decided first which CPU i gonna to buy (intel or amd) then i will look to good mainborad
BTW .. I'm planing to use this new cpu for 3DMAX and photoshop not only for game.
the games are not that important as 3Dmax for me.
3DMax come to me first and photoshop

@ilovejedd
do you think i5 better also with 3Dmax than amd x4 965?
i can't wait 3-5 month Tongue for Sandy Bridge
and I'm sure it gonna be expensive cpu, since we're talking about intel.
Maybe this can help: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/191?vs=102

For 3Dmax maybe try with x6 Phenom II.
Actually, the i5-2400 and i5-2500 models should drop in at around the same price as the i5-750/i5-760. I'm sure that's going to be the case in the US. Just not sure in other parts of the world. Intel's not releasing high-end parts this time. The processors we'll be seeing will be replacing their mainstream tier so prices shouldn't be that high.

While a similarly-priced Phenom II X6 1055T will beat the i5-760 in heavily multi-threaded loads, do note that it suffers quite a lot in lightly-threaded tasks (PCSX2 included). If you're not overclocking, I'd still go with a Core i5-760.

i5-760 vs Phenom II X6 1055T