An interesting thought...
I was thinking about this last night, but i see alot of posts from people saying they can get up to 50fps, but can't quite just make it to the 60fps needed. Most of these people are playing NTSC games. What about a Pal game?

Pal Games are made to run at 50fps. Now if their computer can only run a game at 50fps and no higher. would the PAL game be considered to be full speed and they should try to find a pal version?

For example. You have XYZ NTSC, it plays at 50-53fps, but you can't get it to go higher. Could you get the pal version(that plays at 50fps for full speed) and use that and cap the speed at 50fps and get full frame rate?

Sponsored links

I suppose you can do that. NTSC standard is 60Fps, while PAL is 50Fps. You can technically get 100% fps on the PAL version, but it will still have the same issues, because you are ultimately still playing on the PC which has 60Hz. PCSX2 can play either format, but if your machine is capable of 60Fps, then why get the PAL version?

Also, some games may have compatibility issues with the PAL version and the NTSC version may work properly. That also works the other way around. It really depends on the game and what you are willing to tolerate.
Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15' | Intel Core i7-4850HQ @ 2.3-3.5Ghz | Optimus Powered nVidia Geforce GT 750M (2GB GDDR5) + Intel Iris Pro Graphics | 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Intel HD Audio | Apple Magic Trackpad | Samsung 512GB PCI-E Based SSD |
i dunno. i dont really have any issues with this at all. it was just a random thought that popped up in my head.
You could also just go into the options and limit the frame rate to 50fps and pretend you are playing a pal game and get used to the speed hit of the game.
(12-14-2009, 08:19 AM)bkwegoharder Wrote: You could also just go into the options and limit the frame rate to 50fps and pretend you are playing a pal game and get used to the speed hit of the game.

Why would anyone want to do that?
why would anyone track down the al copy of the game? Just so you know, the pal games are basically ntsc games running at 50fps. they even get the same speed hit as if you were to limit the frame rate in the settings so limiting the frame rate to 50 would be just like getting a pal copy, but this way you save yourself a lot of time.
really? so all PAL games are just slower versions of NTSC games?
this is news to me, i wish someone could confirm your words.
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
There's been a few threads about this already, use the search to find them.
But the bottomline is: PAL games do the same amount of work than NTSC ones do,
meaning they also run with fewer absolute fps. If an NTSC game reaches 50FPS,
the PAL version of that game will only get to 42FPS.
(12-14-2009, 08:56 AM)tohdom Wrote: really? so all PAL games are just slower versions of NTSC games?
this is news to me, i wish someone could confirm your words.

not really slower, but 10 frames less Smile
Yes, slower.

Most PAL games simply run as if they're NTSC games force-limited to 50fps with the exception that sound/music runs at the same rate as a 60fps NTSC game. So even if the PAL version runs a "full" 50 fps, the only advantage is that the sound and music will be running at the proper speed, while the rest of the gameplay feels slow. There are a few exceptions, I assume; games with built in framelimiters like Shadow of the Colossus for example probably has it's gameplay run the same speed in PAL or NTSC rates.

But since the emulator must still emulate a full 295 mhz of the PS2's Emotion Engine, the end result isn't any better. You get fewer frames for the same amount of work, which means (as rama said) if you get 50fps NTSC you get about 42 fps PAL.

To make matters worse, PCSX2's PAL compatibility rate is very low. Many games don't boot at all, others have serious timing issues that cause them to slow down and run like they're on some half-speed underclocked PS2 (if one existed).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team