Another "Will I be able to run this?" Topic.
I tried running it, and it's running Final Fantasy 12 at 20-30FPS, so either my settings are gravely wrong, or my specs aren't up to it.

Specs:
Intel Core i5 470UM @ 1.33GHz (Turbo up to 1.86GHz)
4GB DDR3 1333 RAM (one stick, so not dual channel)
Intel HD Graphics (built into the 470UM)

Settings:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64-
..........-Aero off for PCSX2
..........-Power settings at High Performance

GS- GSdx SSE41 (since it's an i5):
..........-Resolution: 640x480
..........-Renderer: Direct3D9 (Tried both Hardware and Software)
..........-Interlacing: None
..........-Aspect Ratio: 4:3
..........-D3D Enhancements: Use PS2 Native Resolution
..........-Hardware Settings:
....................-Logarithimic Z checked
....................-Alpha correction checked
..........-Software Settings:
....................-Texture filtering unchecked
..........-Wait for Vsync unchecked

SPU2-
..........-Interpolation: 0 - Nearest (fastest/bad quality)
..........-All other settings default.

Speedhacks:
..........-Enable INTC Spin Detection checked
..........-Enable Wait Loop Detection checked
..........-mVU Flag Hack checked
..........-EE Cyclerate tried at 1 and 2
..........-VU Cycle Stealing tried at 0, 1, 2

All other settings at default (EE/IOP, VUs, GS, etc).

So... are my settings wrong, or is my laptop just not up to par?

Any other games I can play decently on full speed (if FF12 is too taxing on the system)?

Sponsored links

(10-28-2011, 03:36 AM)TeaMeUp Wrote: Intel Core i5 470UM @ 1.33GHz (Turbo up to 1.86GHz)

is that a netbook???
that CPU is a low-voltage based....it's design perfomed in very-below average than the regular i5....making it too weak for pcsx2...about 0.25 speed.

Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(10-28-2011, 04:04 AM)tallbender Wrote: is that a netbook???
that CPU is a low-voltage based....it's design perfomed in very-below average than the regular i5....making it too weak for pcsx2...about 0.25 speed.

It's the ASUS EEE Slate (tablet PC).
it's a netbook like tablet all right.....it's is not design for pcsx2 and best configuration is not expected for that.
better have a such intense laptop now.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
Netbook is no good for gaming in general, not to mention emulation. Your PC is a tablet, which is even weaker than netbook. That is the reason why. Get a gaming laptop 15.6 inch and up (I prefer 17 inch), i5 @ 2.4 Ghz and up, Radeon x6xx or GeForce x4x and up.
(10-28-2011, 05:48 AM)Livy Wrote: Netbook is no good for gaming in general, not to mention emulation. Your PC is a tablet, which is even weaker than netbook. That is the reason why. Get a gaming laptop 15.6 inch and up (I prefer 17 inch), i5 @ 2.4 Ghz and up, Radeon x6xx or GeForce x4x and up.

How is an i5 processor slower than an Atom processor?

I know this not to be true, because I have a netbook with a dualcore Atom processor, and it's absolute crap (can't even browse the web without stuttering) vs. this tablet.

As for a gaming laptop, I don't really want one (I returned my Sager for this tablet). I figured because it's PS2 emulation, it might be possible to play it (didn't know it still requires high performance chips by today's standards).
I think you can trust the people here and their expertise on hardware. Clock speed isn't everything in a CPU. A good example would be that a 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo performs faster than a Pentium 4 at the same speed.
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio
(10-28-2011, 07:21 AM)nintendo85 Wrote: I think you can trust the people here and their expertise on hardware. Clock speed isn't everything in a CPU. A good example would be that a 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo performs faster than a Pentium 4 at the same speed.

I haven't even talked about clockspeed (in fact the Atom has a higher clock speed than the i5, and it still performs like crap).

I'm talking from anecdotal, and performance benchmarks (from numerous sites, such as notebookcheck.net), that i5 470UM is not worse than a netbook (Atom processor), nor should it even be classified as such.

Atom D525 (most powerful available today in a netbook) vs 470UM.

Note: What got me worked up is the claim that the i5 470UM is weaker than a netbook, and even flat out saying that it's a netbook.

P.S. Regardless, thank you for answering my question (that it was a hardware issue, rather a configuration problem).
There're many types of netbook. You're comparing a low cost netbook with a crappy Atom with an i5 UM. Why do you not compare a Dell Alienware M11x with an i7 with yours? (AFAIK anything ranging from 10.1 inches to 13.3 inches is called netbooks, but some people consider low cost, low performance laptops netbooks.)

What I'm trying to say is that the smaller form factor (size), the lower performance, because they do not have enough space for heat sink, battery... etc. The i5 is the mainstream processors today, but look at your i5 clock speed, which is 1.33 Ghz. Its clock speed is set low to prolong battery life, which a tablet PC needs. Conversely a standard 14 inch laptop i5 clock speed is around 2.4 -> 2.6 Ghz, while the battery life is around 2 hours. You're merely using a device in a work that it is not designed for.

Don't expect to run PCSX2 at a playable speed in a tablet PC. You need a standard 14 inch laptop at least for PCSX2. But the bigger the better. I prefer 17.4 and 18.6 inch laptops which always come with an i7 and a high end graphics card Tongue.
(10-28-2011, 08:08 AM)Livy Wrote: There're many types of netbook.
You're merely using a device in a work that it is not designed for.

I suppose terminology is an issue. My definition of a netbook is a small laptop that pretty much has an Atom processor. =P

And I didn't think a PS2 emulator required so much processing power, hence why I thought it could play it (like a PS1 emulator); I was wrong.

Thank you for the clarification.