Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti Aliasing Questions
Greetings.

I've been wondering about some minor stuff with Hardware AA, and I'd appreciate it if my following questions get answered:

1 - As far as my eyes can tell, AA has no effect on AMVs whatsoever. Is that the normal case, or is it just me?

2 - As I'm still using an old 4:3 screen (it has a big behind), I always see white lines at the edges of the screen when I enable AA. However, this only happens with pcsx2's AA (I've tried it with Dolphin and PC games. This issue is exclusive to pcsx2 for me). Is there any way to fix this?

3 - Should I expect a difference between AA in DX9 and DX11 mode?

-
It goes without saying that I've already tried different builds of pcsx2, but that issue keeps occurring and I don't think it's pcsx2's faultHappy

I also have an extra question: How much does RAM frequency affect FPS in CPU-dependent games?

Thanks for reading.
Intel Core i5 2500k 3.4 > 4.5 GHz 1.26v Biggrin
Thermaltake SpinQ VT
Nvidia GTX 560 (OC 950/1200), 1GB GDDR5, (MSI N560GTX).
Biostar TP67XE
8 GB Zepplin RAM, @1600. 11-11-11-30 Glare
FSP Saga II 500W
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Sponsored links

Well I can answer no1 for you, videos will not show any difference with AA at all. AA renders things like polygons of 3D objects in a scene with smoother edges. But AMV's are videos, they aren't 3D scenes getting rendered in real time, so all you'll see is exactly the video that was stored in the PS2 game when it was made, no quality settings will ever improve it visually.
A nerd, gamer (PC/PS/Emulators), hobby programmer (Java) learning OpenGL programming (4.2+), and professional 3D artist (Blender). Here to share experiences using PCSX2, report issues, thank the developers for their awesome work and contribute to any technical discussions I have input for.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, mindinsomnia Smile.
Intel Core i5 2500k 3.4 > 4.5 GHz 1.26v Biggrin
Thermaltake SpinQ VT
Nvidia GTX 560 (OC 950/1200), 1GB GDDR5, (MSI N560GTX).
Biostar TP67XE
8 GB Zepplin RAM, @1600. 11-11-11-30 Glare
FSP Saga II 500W
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Funny how both of you guys are some kind of mental disorder Smile

On topic: AA doesn't seem to affect some games, while it improves others. It all depends on the game. For some games, increasing the Native resolution multiplier (2X, 3X, etc.) has greater effect, that is, it improves the visuals while AA doesn't do anything. I can tell you that 6X Native in dx9 is the same as 6x Native in dx11, there is no difference between them. As for AA, I haven't really ever bothered trying it because in the games I play, AA has no effect whatsoever, (other than to slow down frame rates), so I never use it.
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP micro ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K processor @3.4 GHz
Patriot G2 Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sapphire Radeon HD7870XT 2GB GDDR5 RAM
Patriot Pyro SATA III 120 GB SSD
Corsair GS 600W PSU
AA will never effect sprites or FMV's, simply because Anti-Aliasing is designed to smooth the edges of polygons by filling in the pixels on jagged edges with "average" pixels. However on the edges of sprites and stuff in videos, there is no polygon (sprites are generally drawn on a square poly, so no edges to alias, videos are direct surface reads, so all that can happens is they are stretched) so there is nowhere for aliasing to kick in.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
Excuse me? Mental disorder? Do you think you're being funny Qaddai? Or do you just trying to be offensive for no good reason?

I gave him a quick accurate answer on how AA works and why it's not affecting the videos in his game. Which refraction seems to agree with it since he more or less said the same thing.

By the way, setting the renderer to run at 2-6X native is practically an AA setting. By rendering the image at a much higher resolution then resizing it down to a smaller one the result is pixels are averaged out, which is supersampling AA. It's the highest quality of AA available because it samples everything in the image, instead of the more common and modern multisampling AA technique which just samples edges of polygons and other places where there might be a need for sampling, instead of flat spaces on polygons.

I don't know what the official AA setting uses, you'd have to ask someone like refraction.
A nerd, gamer (PC/PS/Emulators), hobby programmer (Java) learning OpenGL programming (4.2+), and professional 3D artist (Blender). Here to share experiences using PCSX2, report issues, thank the developers for their awesome work and contribute to any technical discussions I have input for.
(01-27-2013, 04:19 PM)mindinsomnia Wrote: Excuse? Mental disorder? Do you think you're funny Qaddai? Or do you just enjoy being offensive and unhelpful?

I don't think he meant to cause offense, he was referring to "mind insomnia" and "Apathy Complex", both of which are states of mind which are undesired. I don't think he quite meant disorder but, still ;p
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
Oh. Now I do feel like I have some kind of mental disorder. First time I read that, I read "Funny how both of you guys are some kind of mental disorder" I read it as "Funny how both of you guys have some kind of mental disorder". Mostly because on another forum today I was on, was crashed by a troll who kept making a similar insult. X3

OK, I'm sorry Qaddai, my bad, and good one, I get it now. X3
(01-25-2013, 02:31 PM)Apathy compleX Wrote: 2 - As I'm still using an old 4:3 screen (it has a big behind), I always see white lines at the edges of the screen when I enable AA. However, this only happens with pcsx2's AA (I've tried it with Dolphin and PC games. This issue is exclusive to pcsx2 for me). Is there any way to fix this?

dude i cant believe you're still on CRTs ( fat a$$ monitors ) come on dude buy a "Syrian" made one ( a bit crappy ) and cheap and rest your eyes and your soul ! Smile
I do apologize, but I didn't mean any insult to anyone. I was just pointing out that both of your usernames sounded like "undesirable" states of mind. I guess the joke is on me since my username is based on perhaps one of the most, shall we say, bizarre, dictators of our time Smile Well, former dictator, that is Smile
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP micro ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K processor @3.4 GHz
Patriot G2 Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sapphire Radeon HD7870XT 2GB GDDR5 RAM
Patriot Pyro SATA III 120 GB SSD
Corsair GS 600W PSU