Any additional suggestions for slowdowns?
Sorry for the double post. Just wanted to update the status.

So I read a bunch of overclocking guides, especially ones about my processor in particular, and I got to it on my computer. I set it from stock 2.8GHz to 3.2GHz at default voltage of 1.325v. I tried running a stress test and it only went for 10 minutes and the temperature got up to the high 60s. WTF. So I decreased it back to the default frequency of 2.8GHz and ran the test and it STILL got that high. It stayed in the low 50s during light use. Not cool (literally), considering I have a large fan on the front of the case blowing in, a fan on the side panel blowing in, and 2 on the back blowing out.

I took the side panel off and noticed the heatsync on the CPU had a bunch of dust in it. I took that apart and blew it all out. I also noticed my 2 hard drives were kinda blocking the large fan on the front, so I moved them up as much out of the way as I could. My humongous video card (Radeon HD 4870) is still in the way but there's no way around that. I moved some cables and wires away from where the side fan blew in as well. I fired it back up and ran a stress test at default settings and it never got above 39 degrees! I increased the frequency to 3.2 and the temperature remained the same. I tried increasing the voltage to 1.335v and the speed to 3.4GHz and it ran fine. 3.5GHz, however, BSODed.

I ran the stress test at 3.4GHz for 10 minutes and it only got up to 46 degrees. I set the test to go for 8 hours and checked it periodically while we watched Jurassic Park III. It never got above 46 degrees during that time, so I went to bed and in the morning, it was done without any errors and CoreTemp reported the highest it ever got was 48. I loaded up PCSX2 with Legaia 2: Duel Saga and tried a couple different known slowdown spots. They were virtually nonexistent! Maybe a slight drop to 58 FPS here and there, one time it got to 56 in one spot, but nothing really noticeable. Thanks very much for the suggestion to overclock and for the advice with it.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz @ 3.5GHz
RAM: 4GB Corsair DDR2 800MHz
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB

MBTI: INTP
Enneagram: 9w1 or 5w4...I can't decide.

Sponsored links