Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Any guides on how to make your OWN PS2/PCSX2 games?
My OS = Windows 7 home premium 64-bit.
My laptop = Gateway NV50A.
My CPU = AMD phenom II X2 N660 dual-core processor.
My graphics card (either that or it's my graphics chip set = ATI mobility radeon HD 4250.
My RAM = 4 GB DDR3.
My hard drive = 500 GB, WDC WD5000BPVT-22HXZT1 ATA device.
My CD/DVD reader & writer = Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H ATA device.
My monitor = Generic PnP monitor.
My sound devices = ATI high definition audio device, Realtek high definition audio.
My usb game controller = Logitech rumblepad 2 G-UF13.
I didn't build this laptop. I bought it online.
My PS2 emulator = pcsx2-1.0.0-r5350 (Just the default plugins so far).

This topic probably comes up every now & then, but I'm new here, so I haven't had the chance to find any responses to previous similar topics. I'm excited about the PCSX2 emulator, & it makes me want to try something that has been a life long ambition: make a PS2 game for the PCSX2. However, I don't know anything about how to do it. I do have some experience at using "Blender", "Art of illusion", & "Daz studio 4.5 pro", but that's not enough to make a finished game. Are there any guides online that tell you what kinds of things you'd need to know (example = programming languages) & what kinds of programs you might need?

Sponsored links

According to the way you post, I guess you have little knowledge about computer in general.

To make games, coding is a must. Animations, sounds... etc are all optional and not required for simple games. Programming, on the other hand, is essentials. To program on a platform, you need a Software Development Kit (SDK). Without it, you have no chance of writing anything, unless you are patient enough to write the entire program in the form of 0s and 1s (assembly is pretty much the same).

The PlayStation 2 is a proprietary platform. Sony never released the PS2 SDK to the public. They sell it to game developers. Don't think of buying it -- maybe you already know why. AFAIK there is unofficial open source PS2 and PS3 SDKs. They are never as good as the official counterparts, but they are free. Google it. I don't know about their legality though but who cares?

After that, you'll need a "debug PS2" in order to test you code. With PCSX2, you probably don't need it, although there is no way to guarantee precision with PCSX2.

That's the tool you need. How to program a game is another story, that I cannot tell -- The only game I wrote was a classic Tetris clone. However, I do know that you'll need expert mathematics and programming skills. Keep in mind that game programming is considered one of the most difficult kinds of programming.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60
Heres a link to stuff that will help you. https://github.com/ps2dev
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
that's a though task if you start from nowhere and try to understand programming the ps2 hardware. you sure you wanna do that? Laugh if so... the sdk is posted. just cause of easeness. here's a complex sample project with all kinds of stuff already coded for you to see how it's done. not really a SPU tutorial, but it's got all kinda graphics, effects, shaders and basic engine stuff you might need to know howto do.
Well,big things starts from little rubble.From your post I think you have no/less programming knowledge.Do not worry.But I must ask you to consider one thing.Do not hope to build a ps2 game for pcsx2.Rather build a PC game.

Livy pretty much said why you should not dive into ps2.

To be a PC game developer.You will need,
1.Unity3D game engine
2.Art packages like maya or max or blender and such.
3.Sculpting package like Zbrush(if your game will be next-gen or such.It is just $800;pick it up when you are serious)
4.For sound you might need "finale"(probability is one in ten billionLaugh)
So basically you need a game engine like unity3d and a art package.

The knowledge you will need.
1.programming
2.Scripting
3.3D Modeling(polygonal and nurb)
4.Hard surface and organic Sculpting(if you need AAA)
5.Rigging
6.Animation
7.Figure drawing and concept art
8.Music theory(again probability is one in ten billionLaugh)

What do you do in game industry?
First we think(meditate if you prefer) of our feelings(love,hate,animosity,envy,Vengeance,etc sort of stuffs). Then we build a consistent story based on our feelings.We are very careful in this stage.Think that our game will be a single player game.So story needs to be circled around him/her.You know writing novel,thats the proper word.It is a continuous process.you check and recheck.By the end of this process,you have a great story to tell.Now you need to tell the story.No no do not tell others.Just write down in diary.Build screenplay.What I meant is:suppose your hero/-ine are going to kill a bastard.You should visualize the whole process in your heart.Close your eyes and think that you are seeing whole killing thing in a giant television.What you see?Write it down so that everyone who read it,get same feeling as you have felt just now.It is called screenwriting.You story will only contain "he killed "x"" but you screenwriting will contain probably ten line to explain.So by doing everything above,we get a nice juicy story with a juicy screenplay.It is not mandatory to finish story,but recommended.
Story is complete,what is next?

You need to draw the environment/characters/weapon(that we write in story-screenplay) etc in plain paper.The advantages is:suppose your team is made with 10 people,you need to translate your feeling towards them.Drawing is excellent medium.The most important is,you need reference images to model things within 3D packages(unless I think you are so good at modeling that you can make things alive just from your memory!!!Blink). For future,you might forget the feelings you just got.So drawing in paper is handy for further recall.This stage is called concept art building.Concept art need not to be clear.Often they are so obscure.

You have a great story-screenplay-concept art
Now what?
Design the gameplay.We think about game logic here.A logic for example "if you fall in height greater than 10 feet,you will die", "hiting in a particular position on enemy will cause its death" etc.Take a closer look and take a birds eye view of gameplay.What I mean is:you need to thing in both micro and macro scale.Gameplay logic done.
Now you need to design the level.Prepare a simplified plan view and action line,sheets where arena represents a simple disk,road represent a simple line,planet represent a circle etc.At this stage you will know that what type of(and how many) 3D things you need to build.

You need to build 3D assets now.
We take reference images.Then we build base shapes for environment/weapons/character etc.Then we import those meshes into sculpting packages like zbrush.Then we sculpt them.There two type of sculpting.
1.Hard surface
2.Organic
Hard surface sculpting is for building environment/weapons and organic modeling is for building characters.Hard surface modeling is quite easy.You need to focus on how things generate.Look at real world examples and think.think and think.For example:if we rotate a straight line around its middle point we get a solid disk.if we pull faces of disk in the direction above,cylinder formed.On the other hand,organic sculpting is quite challenging.You need to know human anatomy,flow of muscles etc.So thats the simplified story of sculpting.
You sculpted mesh will have millions of polygons.That is not good.You need to reduce it down.So what we do now? we create similar object(taking high poly mesh as reference) with same silhouette.This process is called re-topology.
Same silhouette is not necessary if you go for displacement mapping(and I do not think you want displacement map except for parallax mapping).So we have nice juicy high poly mesh and low poly dull mesh.

Create UV of low poly model in 3D package's UV editor or use external application.Save this low poly mesh.
Your UV need to be smart not stupid.Use UV space wisely.This step is called uv mapping.
Then we bake all the details of high poly mesh onto low poly mesh in form of 2D images.These are normal map,displacement map,flow map,cavity map,AO map etc.This step is called baking.

Bring you UV snapshot onto photoshop or gimp.You need to paint while keeping uv snapshot as reference.Make layers,add adjustment layer,do all photoshop tricks you know to get maximum result.Somtimes you might modify normal map,displacement map,flow map,cavity map,AO map etc within photoshop or gimp.But thats not common case.I did not need so far.Sometimes you might want to generate normal map from your painted color/diffuse map within photoshop with nvidia's normal map filter.This process is called "UV painting to get maps(mainly diffuse map)".

Oh,I forget one thing.When you sculpt,you can directly paint onto high poly mesh.It is called polypainting.If you use zbrush as sculpting software,you should exploit zapplink and projection master to get maximum benefit out of polypainting.Polypainted data can be saved in a vertex(each vertex contains a RGBA value) color map,if you bake through xnormal.

Huh,there your 3D assets.What is your 3D assets?
1.Low poly mesh
2.Texture maps
Now run unity3d and import'em.All of them.
Then you will need to program them so they behave exactly what you had expected in gameplay design phase.With Unity,you do not need programming unless,
1.you want some effects that can only be done with opengl/directx/cgfx code
2.you need to build a plugin or tools
3.you use scaleform

Rather you need to know scripting.Go to here and learn basics of html,css and most importantly javascript.I also recommend you to learn php and mysql.Then learn how to code in "OOP(object oriented programming)" ,"MVC(model view controller)". Then I recommend you to read shaums series's "learn C++" book.After then you will have to learn game engine specific language.As you already learnt scripting(and a little bit of programming if you read the c++ book),you will find yourself quite easy on game engine specific API.In case of Unity3D engine,it is called "unity3D script"(basically it is javascript). Though it also supports C# and Boo.Had you chose enreal engine you had to learn unreal script and kismet. If you need to build a handy tool for unity engine,you can look upon it's editor classes.However if you want something that unity's builtin shader can not,you can learn graphics pipelines.Then you can particularly learn CGFX or HLSL or GLSL.I think you won't need that effect.So I do not want to scare you.But if you do,people like me will always be here I guess.

P.S. I did not cover VFX above that.
Thanks for the helpful responses, everybody. I already knew about the unofficial PS2 SDK & where to get it, but I wasn't sure if it was a requirement or merely helpful. Nobody should be surprised that the official PS2 SDK ain't available to the average person, since that's the case with most video game systems.

As for whether to make a game for a video game system or for a PC, making one for a video game system would have one advantage over making one for a PC, & that is that the hardware/software/OS (you get the idea) of a PC can be different from PC to PC, but not for a specific video game system. I suppose you could say that it is for different regional versions of a video game system, but you don't have to target more than one region.

Some of the stages of game development mentioned in mistic_cave's post I already knew about. Not that his post isn't helpful, but obviously, you're not going to be able to make a game if you don't even have an idea for a game. One question though. I've heard people say that Python is a better programming language to use than some others. I think was one reason given was that it's easier to program in. What do you think?