Any luck with Snowblind games?
Hi all, first post here. I'll start by saying that I know there is already a thread about this game, but it's old.

I really would like to play Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II, but I know that all Snowblind games have issues with being emulated. I've been checking back on new revisions to see if it's been fixed, but so far I can't seem to get it. Just checking to see if there's a way to configure it to be playable (at decent frame rates).

Thanks in advance, specs below, let me know if you need anything else.

PCSX2 1.0.0 r5350
Default Plugins (Software Rendering, MTVu on)

Phenom II x4 965BE @4.0GHz
GTX 660
8GB 1600 RAM
SSD, all that good stuff.

Sponsored links

(12-22-2013, 07:26 AM)Zephos Wrote: Hi all, first post here. I'll start by saying that I know there is already a thread about this game, but it's old.

I really would like to play Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II, but I know that all Snowblind games have issues with being emulated. I've been checking back on new revisions to see if it's been fixed, but so far I can't seem to get it. Just checking to see if there's a way to configure it to be playable (at decent frame rates).

Thanks in advance, specs below, let me know if you need anything else.

PCSX2 1.0.0 r5350
Default Plugins (Software Rendering, MTVu on)

Phenom II x4 965BE @4.0GHz
GTX 660
8GB 1600 RAM
SSD, all that good stuff.

You try SVN version from: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/?

BG : DA the first one is supposedly working in the SVN. No new tests for BG : DA2. Here is what General Plot said commentwise for BG : DA 1:

Code:
Comments:

Status goes from ingame to playable. Runs at a decent speed.

Bugs:

Gsdx must be in software mode and 4GB patch must be used or game will crash.

So, do those things and give it a shot. Might work. Here is 4GB patch:

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

So, to recap:

Download latest SVN version.

Apply 4gb patch to executable.

Config --> video --> plugin settings.

Set renderer to "DirectX 11 software" or 10 software or 9 software, the highest your system supports.

Maybe it works.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I already tried that latest SVN, it wouldn't load any game at all, just stopped responding. I've done everything else you said, but I still have massive graphics glitches and large slowdowns. And the menus still freeze, so you can only choose one difficulty and class.
(12-22-2013, 08:23 AM)Zephos Wrote: I already tried that latest SVN, it wouldn't load any game at all, just stopped responding. I've done everything else you said, but I still have massive graphics glitches and large slowdowns. And the menus still freeze, so you can only choose one difficulty and class.

It's important to do all parts. SVN -> Patch -> Software -> try

It would be normal for the SVN version to crash if you didn't patch it first, for those (Snowblind) games.

I don't have it personally to test, myself. Maybe someone else does.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Alright well the SVN did seem to fix a lot of the issues. FPS could still be better, but it's possible my CPU just needs an upgrade. No more menu freezing, graphical glitches gone, except now it shakes around a bit. Still better than before.

The first time I got this SVN, it must have been a corrupt download, because nothing was running at all.

And speedhacks or gamefixes you think might help?
Did you enable extra software rendering threads under gsdx config? Should be at the bottom. Since you've got a quad-core, set that to "3".
(12-22-2013, 08:33 AM)Zephos Wrote: Alright well the SVN did seem to fix a lot of the issues. FPS could still be better, but it's possible my CPU just needs an upgrade. No more menu freezing, graphical glitches gone, except now it shakes around a bit. Still better than before.

The first time I got this SVN, it must have been a corrupt download, because nothing was running at all.

And speedhacks or gamefixes you think might help?

Well, you are running in software mode now, right?

The first thing is to see if the slowdown is the software renderer, or the emulation core.

Speedhacks will help if it's the emu core.

You know the GSDX window where you set software mode? At the bottom of that you can set extra software threads. Try setting it to 2(but no more since your CPU is only 4 core).

Try extra software threads first. Then try MTVU speedhack, then EE cycle rate speedhack.

Running a game in software renderering(where the graphics are done on your CPU) is more accurate and more compatible, but lots slower. Even a fast processor like my FX 6300 @ 4.12 ghz has slowdown with some games in software.

But just experiment with those two things and see. Might try separately. Try speedhacks, see how fast you can get it up to. Try extra threads, see how fast, then kinda combine that knowledge to maybe get playable rate.

(12-22-2013, 08:40 AM)NarooN Wrote: Did you enable extra software rendering threads under gsdx config? Should be at the bottom. Since you've got a quad-core, set that to "3".

Beat me!

I said more stuff though!

You really think 3 on a quad core processor though?

3 Is what I set on my hex core. Above that slows down the emu core.
Whoops, had it set to four, but yeah I had that. I'm assuming my $100 processor just doesn't cut it here Tongue Can someone buy me an i7?

EDIT: Yeah I got all the other stuff maxed out right now, and in a place where it's raining (so a bit extra stress) I'm getting 15-25 fps.
(12-22-2013, 08:44 AM)Zephos Wrote: Whoops, had it set to four, but yeah I had that. I'm assuming my $100 processor just doesn't cut it here Tongue Can someone buy me an i7?

I have an FX 6300 which is about $100 now, I paid $109 for it.

It has been completely adequate for every PCSX2 game I've thrown at it. Including in software!

I love this processor. AMD for the win!
Yeah, the price/performance really is insane.

Alright, gained about 15fps by clicking on random stuff, applying, and watching my fps.

VU0: superVU Recompiler
Round Mode: Negative
VSync: Off (raised fps...hmm)
EE Cyclerate: 3
VU Cycle Stealing: Max
MTVU: Off, actually gives like 10 extra fps

Sitting between 58-65fps now, but the game still feels like it's slow?