Any plans to implement anisoptric filtering?
Any plans to implement anisoptric filtering? In my opinion, that's what the PS2 needs most.

Sponsored links

Really? Where does it could improve graphics? Half of PS2 games is 2d with z-depth, 3d games usually have very limited angle of view and small areas, so anisotropy is rarely needed, but maybe you could state a game, that would gain a lot from anisothropy?
Shadow Of The Colossus, Final Fantasy X ... umm ... Every 3D game on the PS2? But, I'd guess Jak & Daxter-type games would benefit the most. I'll concede that it's a smaller improvement than anti-aliasing/internal resolution but it'll definitely help when computers come up with the power.
(05-23-2009, 10:42 PM)Zeydlitz Wrote: Really? Where does it could improve graphics? Half of PS2 games is 2d with z-depth, 3d games usually have very limited angle of view and small areas, so anisotropy is rarely needed, but maybe you could state a game, that would gain a lot from anisothropy?

I think you're confusing the Ps2 witht he PS1, that was extremely pseudo 3d, however the ps2 provides a pretty much proper full 3d environment, its easy to see blurry textures all over the place, the ps2 would benefit a lot of ansitropic filtering
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

And how anisothropy could help to improve texture, that you see on normal angle? Anisothropy could help on far textures, that have a perspective blur, but most ones is near.
O'k. Let's see in standart "dungeon" scene.

Here is a lot of textures, that could probably gain a little from anisothropy -- walls, floor. But all of them are near and quality is adequate. To get an advantage you should have open space (not depth target out of scene border). But blurry ones does not benefit from anisothropy (they got a bilinear benefit).

p.S. PS1 have not z-depth :-).
thats why i said pseudo 3d ;p but a fair few games would benifit from anistropic filtering, that is a very bad example as the floor textures are flat and featureless. However ports like Halflife would benifit as could driving games and any other which have detailed yet blurry floors

How many games have you played? There are MANY, MANY situations where anisotropic filtering would benefit greatly.

So, now that we've gotten so far off-topic how about we get back on-topic ... Any plans to implement this? Seeing as how it is so needed.
(05-24-2009, 03:21 AM)Chris8282 Wrote: How many games have you played? There are MANY, MANY situations where anisotropic filtering would benefit greatly.

So, now that we've gotten so far off-topic how about we get back on-topic ... Any plans to implement this? Seeing as how it is so needed.

... that discussion wasnt even remotely off topic, it was a debate on how ansitropic filtering is/isnt needed, how is that off topic? lol

anyway in answer to your question, no, not in pcsx2, as this is an emulator not a GS plugin Tongue2 you are better off asking in the plugin section, namely the gsdx thread.

My question was whether or not it was being planned to implement this. I didn't ask if it would help. Therefore, it was off-topic. I know it would help a lot because I've forced it through my control panel and seen the difference (it was very difficult though and I needed help from the forums).

Also, I didn't know there was a GSDX thread. Sorry for the out of place post. I guess I need to look a little more Laugh
(05-24-2009, 03:30 AM)Chris8282 Wrote: I know it would help a lot because I've forced it through my control panel and seen the difference

really? that's interesting, care to show any example? I havent seen much if any difference.