Any reason why FFX-2 fmvs run slow during gameplay?
Hey guys. I've notice this issue been around for a long while and curious what causes the fmvs to run slow just for that certain game only? I know in other games they are no issues mainly with FFX but how come it affects FFX-2? Isn't it running the same engine?

Anyways just curious if this issue might be fixed in the future with a new version of pcsx2 or something? Anyways just curious what causes that to happen is all. Smile

Sponsored links

I'm pretty sure ffx-2 uses 'point list' fmvs and they just take a lot more cpu power to render then a conventional ps2 movie since its done in points (this is also why upscaling doesn't work well with these movies), Dirge of Cerberus is another game that uses this format.

The mtvu hack can sorta help on these movies (if you have a quad cpu) you can get about 15~+fps increase. other then that there isn't much you can do to truly speed them up.

You could mess with the EE and VU cycle rate sliders in speed hacks but usually setting them to anything higher then 1 will start to break the movie or audio even worse, however if you are just on the borderline of 60fps and only need a few more fps then it's a potential fix.
(02-27-2012, 11:26 PM)hyakki Wrote: I'm pretty sure ffx-2 uses 'point list' fmvs and they just take a lot more cpu power to render then a conventional ps2 movie since its done in points (this is also why upscaling doesn't work well with these movies), Dirge of Cerberus is another game that uses this format.

The mtvu hack can sorta help on these movies (if you have a quad cpu) you can get about 15~+fps increase. other then that there isn't much you can do to truly speed them up.

You could mess with the EE and VU cycle rate sliders in speed hacks but usually setting them to anything higher then 1 will start to break the movie or audio even worse, however if you are just on the borderline of 60fps and only need a few more fps then it's a potential fix.

Ah I see. I've never thought of it that way for that reason alone, but yeah, I do have a pretty good machine to run most games or ones that runs and stay at 60fps through out the whole game, so I guess in the future when cpu becomes way more powerful than fmvs like FFX-2 will run pretty smooth is that right? So no newer version of pcsx2 could fix this, correct?

well, to be fair, if you look at the CPU benchmark, you can see that most of the sandy bridge desktops (and laptops) have already begun to run these FMV scenes at 60fps in software mode so I reckon by ivy bridge or Haswell it shouldn't be a massive issue.
Working full time to build new PC by the end of the year
And as noted: The MTVU speed hack would allow even slower machines to run this fast enough.
well I get with my hardware around 55-58 fps on software (1920*1080) Smile on the FFX-2 FMVs Smile