Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone used to hate FF12 but now love it?
I hated Final Fantasy 12 when I first got it when it came out. I was so used to the classic active time battles of all previous final fantasy games, then there was this real time gambit stuff and it was like blasphemy to any final fantasy purist. I must have started over like 5 times trying to give this game a fair shot. I would always end up starting over, getting really into the game, then losing interest and putting it down for a few months, only to start over again.

Story actually started out great and very intriguing. Then after about the tomb of raithwall it just sort of petered out. After that none of the characters got developed and you felt like they were forced to be there. Ashe and to a lesser extent Basch were the real main characters. Vaan and Penelo were just tagging along and had no story reason to do so besides Vaan wanting to be a sky pirate and Penelo wanting to tag along with Vaan. The game did move away from the typical final fantasy party that fights an evil villan trying to destroy the world, unless you count nethecite as that thing that can destroy the world.

It is definitely light on story that is for sure unlike previous FF games.

However it had loads of stuff to do besides the main quest, you can spend more time on the hunts than on the main quest itself, other little side quests, and exploration is great. The enviornments are very nice and it is fun to just explore at times. It sort of drifted away from the ultra linear JRPG and incorporated some WRPG elements with the exploration.

And it is one of those games that starts to grow on you. Now I am really enjoying hunting all the marks and trying to find all the rare weapons in the game, all the bazaar items, and the like, and just overall exploring. Starting to really enjoy the battle system too.

Coincidentally I just finished Dragon Age origins. Not too much of a joke to say Dragon Age is possibly the greatest game I have ever played. The story was simply incredible and just takes you in. I finished it twice. Normally after playing an RPG, especially a JRPG, after you finish it once you put it down and don't touch it for a long time, but for Dragon Age when the end credits rolled I had a huge craving to start a new quest.

That helped me appreciate FF12's battle system a lot. Final Fantasy 12 is now my 3rd favorite of the series behind 6 and 7, before I considered it the second worst, only better than 8.

Has this happened to anyone else? A game just start to grow on you through the years? A game you used to hate but now start to appreciate?

Sponsored links

mmm im still hating final fantasy games =.=,all of them
[Image: 2ymccqu.jpg]
[Image: 17715.png]
I bought FF12 after reading reviews and finding it online cheap, I hated it for the first 10 minutes, then I got really used to it, that day I played it for 7 hours without turning it off.

It's a really awesome game.

And diegochiha, I really can't think you can say you hate ALL FF games, that makes no sense, if you like RPGs in the slightest, you'd like one of the FF games, whether it's the old classic 1-6, or the ones beyond them, or the spinoffs like Tactics, I really can't see how you can just say you hate a whole franchise like that without being ignorant, unless you've played EVERY single FF game ever made all the way through.

Anyway.

I'm one of the few sensible people who still think FF7 is one of / the best RPG ever made.

And FF12 is amazing.
[Image: 2212125.png]
| XFX HD6950 2048MB @ 900/1400 |
LOve FF.. but FF classic are sucks.. anyway,, i still love it
[Image: Riku_signature_by_sEbeQ13.jpg]
i`ve played since those crappy first psone versions,and i simply dont like it,id rather prefer playing legend of dragoon for psx,damn !! what a good game ^^
(01-07-2010, 02:41 PM)diegochiha Wrote: i`ve played since those crappy first psone versions,and i simply dont like it,id rather prefer playing legend of dragoon for psx,damn !! what a good game ^^

i hate games with boring combat system, thats not only boring but it also forces you to pay attention while you grind, thats why i hated legend of the dragoon ^_^
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
how come this is better than in FF12 when i was actually watching the movie, while leveling up.
No need to pay much attention for movements, all battling was done automatically.

In classic FF there was a goon function - remembering the last action. So in some battles you just need to hold X.
The bottom line is i think classic FF had better involvement in the game. Random encounters were a *****, but there was always item-equipment to turn it of if you want to run undisturbed.
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
I enjoy the Old 1-6 FF games because I enjoy revisiting memories and experiencing nostalgia, what games were like, I can appreciate that, I don't give a f* about graphics or features.

I spent around 70 hours on two playthroughs of FF1.

But that's on the Handheld, the remade Dawn of Souls version, the NES versions are TOO nostalgic for me Wink.

But yeah, I'm still at the beginning of FF12 (8 hours) but it seems awesome.

Bos battles seem really cool, and the Mists.
[Image: 2212125.png]
| XFX HD6950 2048MB @ 900/1400 |
(01-08-2010, 08:45 PM)nataq01 Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 02:41 PM)diegochiha Wrote: i`ve played since those crappy first psone versions,and i simply dont like it,id rather prefer playing legend of dragoon for psx,damn !! what a good game ^^

i hate games with boring combat system, thats not only boring but it also forces you to pay attention while you grind, thats why i hated legend of the dragoon ^_^

boring combat system?? in legend of dragoon??,What the Fu** Huh.You can transform into dragons,each with his own magic powers,and you can do combos so you have to press buttons all the time,its not the simple press x to atack only.And besides the story is just great i mean,the fmv surely arent much but they are good and keep you in the game Happy.
first to FF classics:
I started with FF VIII and did go up to FF X , I played FF V and VI after that so no nostalgia for me XD
FF VI has the best story IMO

then to Legend of Dragoon:
it's somehow a relatively typical JRPG and somehow not XD
the story is good fighting is active and tactical (more active less tactical)
and it's got a pretty cool setting IMO

now to FF XII:
those of you who played FF XII:zodiac signs (henceforth just called the international ver.) will probably agree that it is far superior sadly it's features are only available in japanese ....
basically added were-
*character classes and unique Skill boards for every class
*boss fighting mode (you can challenge the very cool boss monster one after another)
*speed mode (you hold a button and the game runs twice as fast, good for lvling)
maybe more I don't remember at this time XD

but still the absolutely bad story (which is remarkably good thought through... that makes it worse... IMO) makes it still one of the worst RPGs I EVER PLAYED ... in my opinion no story at all would be better (still bad of course XD)

on a side note:
the characters from FF XII are really nice no milestone in character depth but really nice especially vaan,penelo,fraan and balthier
if you want to know how it goes on play revanant wings for DS ^^

second side note:
the Tales series has better storylines IMO and most of the time really great characters (those games should only be played whith japanese voice actors)
also an active fighting game like fighting system which is very refreshing for an jrpg^^
Chicken is not Vegan?

NO VEGAN DIET NO VEGAN POWERS!!!!

http://www.flixxy.com/my-blackberry-is-not-working.htm