Anything not mentioned in the guide? (Speed)
Hello. I am running an MSI laptop with Windows 7 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 4gb ram, and nvidia geforce 8200M G graphics card. Running all the default plugins and have tried nearly every conceivable combination of settings. I can achieve at best high 30s-low 40 FPS in moderately taxing areas. Is there anything else not mentioned in the setup/configuration guides I can do to squeeze extra speed out of it? I've searched through the Internet and see mostly "Can I run this with.." threads but I'm looking for additional tips outside of the guide. I can't really overclock because my BIOS is demanding a password and I'm not sure afterburner increases my emulation speed at all. Let me know if there are any additional system specs I need to list, thank you.

Sponsored links

The guide covers the configuration, not speed. The speed is mentioned here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Sticky-Wi...y-computer
First of all your cpu and gpu is weak to run PCSX2 at a high speed. Are you using native resolution? Setting EE Cycle and VU Cycle to 2 can help. Check Texture filtering and Allow 8-bit textures to see if a boost in speed occurs.
(07-07-2012, 09:31 PM)BigLoz Wrote: First of all your cpu and gpu is weak to run PCSX2 at a high speed. Are you using native resolution? Setting EE Cycle and VU Cycle to 2 can help. Check Texture filtering and Allow 8-bit textures to see if a boost in speed occurs.

Yeah I've tried speedhacks in all possible combination, and run it with 8 bit textures enabled. I think I must be out of options then, I had seen a bunch of YouTube videos where someone was running the same game on the same laptop very fluidly there must be something different about his system he hasn't listed. Anyway thanks man
But what "same game"?;] If you really wish to ask about specific game, maybe start from posting it's title...

If it's a 3D game, then unless it's something uber light like Monster Hunter, you should be happy of 30-40 fps. Also what's your pcsx2 version?;] Depend on the game, but most likely the weakest part of your laptop is your gpu, if you use new GSdx it's possible that your game is limited by it:], sure GSdx improves with time, but in opposite to PCSX2, most gsdx improvements mean slower emulation, aside from fairy obvious - show more=demand more, there are also changes that lag some games awfully while fixing many others. Lastly when GPU is limiting you, did you had the web browser running in the background?;] Flash based sites like youtube can add to your gpu quite a bit even when you're playing pcsx2 at full screen, couse it doesn't really have a true fullscreen, it's just stretched window(which is superior imo, but that's one of it's downsides;]).

Oh and also PCSX2 guide does cover speed;], it describes each option in detail, as long as it's readed with understanding, one should know what option can speed up his game and when;]. I sometimes think only translators read it fully;P.
Your right, not mentioning the games was dumb. I've been trying to run "Way of the Samurai" 1 and 2. I have been using task manager to close all unnecessary applications and processes. I am using pcxs2 ver.9.8 also.
Also I should say that sometimes the FPS reading is "false." It's not as if it's running smoothly and skipping frames, it just plays like slowmo is enabled when it dips down past 40-45 FPS.
That's normal when you had speed hacks enabled, especially VU Cycle Stealing...
An ugly method to gain some extra frames is to set the resolution to less than native in the ini, Say around 385x385 . It wont look pretty but will run faster for sure Tongue
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*