Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia - Menu Slowdown
(06-08-2016, 05:32 PM)lightningterror Wrote: What about Power limit in amd overdrive? Also Power Efficiency in Gaming tab.

You're talking about overclocking my card, don't think it's the same thing as power management.
No power efficiency in Gaming tab.

EDIT: Power Limit doesn't do anything, since it only affects some cards that do reach the limit, and on pcsx2 it never does.

Sponsored links

(06-08-2016, 05:00 PM)vsub Wrote: Hmm,you just gave me an idea and it seems that fixes the problem.
In my nvidia control panel,the power management is set to adaptive and because AT2 is so easy for my gpu,the gpu is almost always in idle state(which is at least 10 times slower than full power)
If I set the power management mode to "prefer maximum performance" and then run pcsx2(you have to do that before running pcsx2),then I don't notice any slowdowns while opening the menu in AT2

It is a very good idea Smile It is a good team work Smile

So the equation is more complicated. In order to be fast, we need nearly empty command queues. However, I guess, the GPU will downclock itself when command queues barely see any activities to reduce power consumptions. As you said GPU is slow, and upclocking likely take some times too, so you see some kind of stuttering.

It is quite interesting, it could explain why sometimes putting more work make the fps faster (blending unit on the snow blind engine game).
(06-08-2016, 05:53 PM)gregory Wrote: It is a very good idea Smile It is a good team work Smile

So the equation is more complicated. In order to be fast, we need nearly empty command queues. However, I guess, the GPU will downclock itself when command queues barely see any activities to reduce power consumptions. As you said GPU is slow, and upclocking likely take some times too, so you see some kind of stuttering.

It is quite interesting, it could explain why sometimes putting more work make the fps faster (blending unit on the snow blind engine game).

That actually makes sense, since like a car it takes time to go from 0 to 60 km/h for example, but if it were already running at 60 km/h...
EDIT: High performance in Power Options doesn't do anything, at least not for me. Maybe some Bios settings, like Intel's SpeedStep? ... but then again that's CPU related.
RadeonPro can force AMD GPUs into high performance mode, with either global or per-application profiles. I just tested it with PCSX2 and Ar tonelico, works fine to eliminate the stutter. It's in the Overdrive settings (and will require you to unlock Overdrive, even if you don't adjust clock speeds).

Just be aware that RadeonPro has been abandoned and is no longer being actively developed.
(06-08-2016, 06:26 PM)Eloris Wrote: RadeonPro can force AMD GPUs into high performance mode, with either global or per-application profiles. I just tested it with PCSX2 and Ar tonelico, works fine to eliminate the stutter. It's in the Overdrive settings (and will require you to unlock Overdrive, even if you don't adjust clock speeds).

Just be aware that RadeonPro has been abandoned and is no longer being actively developed.

Nope, doesn't do anything. Tried it on both pcsx2 and Witcher 3, with no difference. I suppose my card is already running in High-performance mode.
Well obviously it wouldn't do anything in TW3. Have you applied the Overdrive settings? You may need to scroll down on the OverDrive panel, the UI isn't particularly amazing.
(06-08-2016, 06:54 PM)Eloris Wrote: Well obviously it wouldn't do anything in TW3. Have you applied the Overdrive settings? You may need to scroll down on the OverDrive panel, the UI isn't particularly amazing.

I did yes, I already had RadeonPro installed, but forgotten about it. Anyways, high-performance mode doesn't do anything for me.
There's an OverDrive Tab, didn't have to scroll anything.
Monitor the GPU frequencies (GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner or any number of tools can do that). If the settings are applied correctly, the clocks should go to their maximum as soon as you open PCSX2 (without even starting a game).
I can't really see Ar tonelico pushing even a 7770 into high performance mode all the time, but maybe I'm wrong.
(06-08-2016, 07:24 PM)Eloris Wrote: Monitor the GPU frequencies (GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner or any number of tools can do that). If the settings are applied correctly, the clocks should go to their maximum as soon as you open PCSX2 (without even starting a game).
I can't really see Ar tonelico pushing even a 7770 into high performance mode all the time, but maybe I'm wrong.

Here you go.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yeah, it works fine. I looked at it a bit more thoroughly now, and sometimes the stutter does still occur, sometimes it's barely noticeable. It's not entirely consistent, I guess I just caught a good one when I tried it earlier.