Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Emus Illegal? Don't Have PS2... My Specs!
Hi, everybody! I'm really interested in the idea of emulators that let you play certain console games on your computer!

However, I think I might have run into a few snags...so I came to get the answers from you! Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

I am really, really excited for this! The only problem is...I've heard this kind of thing (emulators) is illegal, and I know my Mom won't go for it if it's illegal, and I refuse to lie to her, so... Is it? It doesn't sound like it, but...I don't know for sure...

Another snag is the fact that I don't have a PS2, am not sure I'll ever be allowed to have one (and I really don't want to wait till I move out to get one...since I don't know when that'll be...) and according to this site's guides, you need the console to get the...was it BIOS? So...do I have to have the console or...can I run the emulator just fine without it?

I think that's all the snags... Oh! I have an HDMI cable, so...will that connect to a controller and make it work with my computer? Or will I have to buy a special cable to get the controller to work on my computer? OR do I have to buy a controller at all - can I just play on my keyboard and mouse? As far as controllers go, I have a PS3 controller and a GameCube controller...though I don't think the latter will work... Will the PS3 controller suffice?

What about memory cards as well? Will I have to buy those or does the computer save all of my game data?

Okay! Last thing!

Here are my specs, the ones I have in front of me (if I need anything else, just tell me):

Brand-new ASUS X53E series laptop:

CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2450M, 2.5 GHz
ODD (not sure what this means): DVD Sup.MTI.
Memory: 4GB
HDD: 750GB
USB 3.0

Thanks for being so patient! I really appreciate it! I just think this'd be really fun! Laugh

EDIT: I think you guys have more or less explained the legality of emus and somewhat the BIOS thing. Thanks so much for all of your help so far! Wow, that was quick!
So, with that out of the way, what about everything else (and maybe a little more clarification on the BIOS thing, please? What is it and all that)? Sorry for all the questions! I'm rather a video game idiot... XD
Overall, it sounds like my only option to wait till I move out to get a Playstation 2...

Sponsored links

Some people will say that it's illegal no matter what you do. Some people will say that if you own the console and the games that it's okay to use the emulator and the games on your PC. I guess it just comes down to what you think and what you're comfortable with.
Actually, pcsx2 won't work without a PS2 bios.

Since a PS2 bios is copyrighted by Sony, you "buy the right to use it" when you buy a PS2.
That's why pcsx2 team can't provide a PS2 bios with the emulator, that would be illegal.

That means if you sell or give your PS2, you also give/sell your right to use its bios. just as if you gave/sold any other kind of software with its licence.

To make it short : if you want to use pcsx2 legally, you need to own a PS2
CPU : I7 2600K Oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz
Mobo : Intel P67 southbridge
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti
RAM : 6 Go
Some might say that the use of the PS2 and its bios is only able to be used legally on the platform it was made to be used with, the PS2. I wouldn't be one of those people, though.
Sony isn't either.
Else, they would have killed this project long ago...
@Starscream:
"I wouldn't be one of those people, though."
When an option is forfeited, it can no longer be used.
If you haven't forfeited your option (by dumping your BIOS and using it for PCSX2),
then why are you here?
Sad
(09-14-2012, 06:33 AM)pgert Wrote: @Starscream:
If you haven't forfeited your option (by dumping your BIOS and using it for PCSX2),
then why are you here?
Sad

pgert: The original poster wanted to know what was legal and what wasn't, I figured he wanted more than one perspective on the matter, so I gave him a few. There's nothing wrong with having a conversation unless you have something to hide. If you haven't figured it out yet, I kinda tell it like it is and nothing will get in the way of that. For the record, I think there is nothing wrong with emulation.
(09-14-2012, 06:33 AM)pgert Wrote: @Starscream:
then why are you here?
Sad

That's given he makes it obvious. I'm sure many people here have pirated content but don't make it obvious.
Hey all sorry to but in, but i just have something to add about legality. Emulation is not illegal as long as the author(s) do not use proprietary code owned by the manufacturer. It was ruled back in the playstation days when Sony was constantly giving the author of BLEEM! a hard time.
Exactly.
In pcsx2's case, this "code" is called "ps2 bios"