Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are motherboards a standard size? And what's a good program to tell which one i have?
Topic title says it all.

I need to know if they're all the same size because I want to eventually replace my laptops motherboard when Ivy Bridge comes out. At that point I'll be switching to one with (hopefully) 4 RAM slots (for 4x2GB) and an Ivy Bridge motherboard and an SSD/ hybrid.

This would obviously not be for a while but I'm curious.

Also, what's a good program to see what motherboard I've currently got? Or a program that'll show me all of my hardware.
i5 520m :: ATI 5650 (700, 900) :: Samsun 830 128GB SSD:: 8GB (2x4GB) RAM

Sponsored links

You can't change the mobo of your laptop.
Cpu-z, Gpu-z and Speccy will show your hardware.
[Image: 1454055.png]
Speccy or CPU-Z might give you the motherboard model but if it's a laptop, forget being able to replace the motherboard.

Desktops, they come in standard sizes. Most common are microATX and ATX, albeit Mini-ITX has recently gained ground with the Atom's popularity.
Ah, so the motherboard is... welded in or something? I mean I'm sure I could physically tear it out =p right?

And thanks for those, I'll use speccy.
You can add an ssd (if your laptop allows 2 HDD's) and more ram though.
Well I believe this laptop's motherboard only has 2 RAM slots. I'll be replacing it with faster RAM once the warranty is up anyway but if I can get a new MoBo in it I can to 4x2GB RAM slots and that'd be perfect.

And how do I know if it allows 2 HDD's? Is that a mobo feature as well?
Look your laptop up on the manufacturers website.
If it's able to do so, it will be shown there.
You can go for 2x4GB ram if you really want 8GB ram.
No I don't want 8GB that much, I'd rather get an SSD.

I'll check Sony's website.

Speccy is telling me the mobo is :

Manufacturer Sony Corporation
Model VAIO
Version A222HTF5
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge
Chipset Revision 02
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model HM55
Southbridge Revision 05

So this is actually manufactured by sony? Any way I can get more info on it?
What I'm gathering through videos is that the motherboards in laptops can't really be switched out with different motherboards. It seems 100% possible to switch out with the same exact motherboard though.
(11-02-2010, 12:14 AM)Hungry Man Wrote: Ah, so the motherboard is... welded in or something? I mean I'm sure I could physically tear it out =p right?

And thanks for those, I'll use speccy.

It's not welded but you'd be hard pressed to find a motherboard that will fit your laptop. Besides, where the heck are you going to buy a laptop motherboard? Laptop motherboards tend to be custom jobs made to fit exactly within the laptop chassis and are carefully designed so as not to exceed certain thermal limitations.