Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attn: People with CPUs less than Dual Core 2.6 GhZ...there is good news!
When I 1st got PCSX2 I was struggling with it. The game I used (Okami) was running terribly slow for my machine, I couldn't get 'preferable' speeds. Here is my specs:

8800GT
4GBRAM
E2200 Dual core 2.20 Ghz.

Most people here will tell you to upgrade your cpu. And yes, it would make it easier on yourself in the long run, but some people don't have enough cash. What I did that helped ALOT was overclock my CPU. So it runs at 300 MHZ. Not only did that help, but the PS2 emulator went turbo mode o.O (you know when a game runs faster than 60) Ofcourse it balances it out in SOME areas in the game (like open fields) but even then, the frame rates stay reasonably high. I turned my fps limit to 60 so it wouldn't go turbo mode. End result? I have a 2.2 Ghz running near perfect fps Smile.

Now I know as soon as you heard overclock you were like 'no thank you'. Well, I did NOT OC through bios. I used this amazing software called 'setfsb' which allows you to OC your cpu in windows. Not only does it work GREAT, but it is VERY safe to use and if something does happen, Windows restarts and then it resets your CPU settings. Check the software out it helps!
-SPECS-
i5 3570K Ivy Bridge OC'd 4.5Ghz
GTX 760
16GB DDR3
GA-Z77X-UD3H
CM Hyper 212+

Sponsored links

so you overclocked your dual core to ?? 2.6?
[Image: 2ymccqu.jpg]
[Image: 17715.png]
(02-24-2010, 01:54 PM)diegochiha Wrote: so you overclocked your dual core to ?? 2.6?

No I was just mentioning all of the lower-side of dual cores. I should have just said non-quad cores/3.0 Ghz CPUs.
-SPECS-
i5 3570K Ivy Bridge OC'd 4.5Ghz
GTX 760
16GB DDR3
GA-Z77X-UD3H
CM Hyper 212+
still dont get your point,how much you overclocked it ?
[Image: 2ymccqu.jpg]
[Image: 17715.png]
Software overclocking is not really recommended at all, yeah it is easy but it may cause more problems than its worth besides of not working most of the time.
Overclocking is kind of basic when you want more speed without paying more, lots of people overclock to get better performance and well it's not really only for low end CPUs either or so much of a risk as it used to be, in fact many new CPUs and mobos come with easy features to overclock easier too.

I don't see how this is related to plugins discussion, moved :P

(02-24-2010, 04:39 PM)diegochiha Wrote: still dont get your point,how much you overclocked it ?

The E2200 comes with a default bus speed of 200MHz and 11x multiplier so overclocking it to 300Mhz he gets a total of 3.3GHz (over 1GHz overclock).
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Is there any newbie guide on how to overclock for a first timer? Or a program they recommend to do it for you? My motherboard supports tuning facility and over-clocking capabilties of both hardware and software according to the back of the box. It's a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 if that helps.
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=GA-965P-DS3+overclocking+guide
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
with that software,I could overclock my 2.66ghz to 3.2ghz????
without extra fan or somekinda hardware?
I tried that program and I managed to raise my FSB by 40 I think before windows crashed and reset. It's not 100% safe to use if you don't have a firm grasp of what is required to overclock and the ability to know what temperature is too high and such. And I'm guessing the RAM you use affects your overclocking abilities as well? It seems my RAM is DDR2-667MHz. Should I consider buying 2 new sticks of RAM at DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 if I want to push my C2D E6400 a bit higher?
Using software to overclock, I think it is ok especially you don't need to reset so many times to get a precise clock. The software does not do magic, so setting the clock, you must make sure it is stable by stress testing it. Also, when the clock is set and tested, I think it is better to set it in your bios.

(09-04-2009, 12:21 PM)Air Wrote: Air's quickie Guide! Because he gets annoyed by people who say things like "if you don't know already then there's no point in helping you learn."

Rule #1: Prime95 is a crap tester of stability. Yes, everyone still uses it, only because nothing else out there has any "simple" error reporting mechanism. But by no means is even a 12 hr test on Prime95 mean you're reasonably stable on a multicore system

Rule #2: If you have a 64-bit operating system, use IntelBurnTest instead.

Rule #3: If you have a 32-bit operating system use CoreDamage plus IntelBurnTest (both running at the same time), because CoreDamage works a lot better for stressing out 32 bit mode (but doesn't do any error tests of its own).

Rule #4: The most important factor in good overclocking is having a high quality motherboard known for giving good OC results. It sounds like you don't have one, and all the OC'ing knowledge and tips in the world can't overcome that limitation.

I'll warn you now -- in my own experience a machine that could run Prime95 stable for hours would fail the IntelBurnTest / CoreDamage combo in a few seconds. Also, I've been known to use the PCSX2 Suite Solution in Visual Studio as a stress test. For some reason the Intel Optimizing Compiler loves to crash on unstable CPUs, even when most other apps or games would never have any problems. But since your motherboard sounds like it has pretty crappy OC'ing options, I don't expect you'd be able to squeeze anything more than what you already have out of it.

This may not fully apply in here, but I personally find this quite useful especially the stress test softwares Air recommanded.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit