Auto progressive scan?
Hello, 

After updating to a recent git build to test things in relation to a bug that was happening to I decided to play some of my other games to test the new functions/plugins (I was still using the 1.2.1 release after all this time for some reason) and after some time I stumbled across a game that ran in progressive mode despite not supporting it officially, so I have a couple questions in relation to that.

Is there a list of games that have it?

Why doesn't X other game support it right now and is it possible to change that?

Why isn't that feature more advertised than that? (seriously to me this might be one of the best improvement since 1.2.1 along with the possibility of increasing the EE cycle-rate)

Sponsored links

What do you mean by progressive mode? How did you recognize that it is progressive mode? Why did you expect interlaced?
Which game?
How did you trigger that option?

Are you talking about the KH 60 fps hack?
(12-09-2015, 07:09 PM)willkuer Wrote: What do you mean by progressive mode?

Meant progressive scan (when the game outputs 480p instead of 480i)

(12-09-2015, 07:09 PM)willkuer Wrote: How did you recognize that it is progressive mode?

The title bar said progressive instead of interlaced, on top of that the game looked much less blurry so I assumed it was indeed using progressive scan and not interlaced.

(12-09-2015, 07:09 PM)willkuer Wrote: Why did you expect interlaced?

The games I tested used interlaced by default on an older build of PCSX2 and I didn't activate any special option, or held the triangle and X button during startup, and some of the game where it happened simply do not officially support progressive scan.

(12-09-2015, 07:09 PM)willkuer Wrote: Which game?

Ape Escape 2&3, Rayman 2:Revolution, Kya:Dark Lineage, R-Type Final, Metal Gear Solid 2:Substance

(12-09-2015, 07:09 PM)willkuer Wrote: How did you trigger that option?

I didn't it just did that without me doing anything special which is why I'm asking about it since I couldn't find anybody talking about that function being present.
I think avih just played with the correct display of the mode. Before the progressive images were not displayed as progressive but falsely as interlaced. Its some time ago but maybe avih reads this thread and elaborates on it. If you look into the github history you dont see a change in the emulation but only in the display iirc. (I think thats about 1-2 months ago)

I think you shouldnt see much blurriness (blurryness?) in static spectra images (edit: static spectra i have at work... -.-'') due to deinterlacing (using the correct deinterlacing). Maybe you just changed the deinterlacing mode or resolution?

Otherwise i can not tell you why the mentioned games are suppoesd to be interlaced while the titlebar suggests progressive mode.

Nevertheless there was to my knowledge no change in graphics output as you think. This is not a thing.
It might be because of WS patches, a few of them contain progressive codes. IDK about these ones.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-09-2015, 11:04 PM)willkuer Wrote: Nevertheless there was to my knowledge no change in graphics output as you think. This is not a thing.

It looks like you're right actually since in the log it says "(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to NTSC." instead of "(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to NTSC Progressive Scan." like it should but I don't think placebo effect is the only thing that made think it looked better since side by side it actually looks a bit sharper and plays a bit smoother, I'll recheck my settings to see if I might have missed something.

Should I post that in the bug report section?
could you provide emulog from a debug build ? that should show the video mode status.
(12-10-2015, 07:08 AM)ssakash Wrote: could you provide emulog from a debug build ? that should show the video mode status.

Sure.

Attached Files
.txt   emuLog.txt (Size: 3,47 KB / Downloads: 184)
well, that's from a release build. I meant emulog from a debug build.
(12-10-2015, 12:50 PM)ssakash Wrote: well, that's from a release build. I meant emulog from a debug build.

I couldn't find a download, do I need to compile it myself?