Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
BIOS and PCSX2 ( no piracy just questions )
there is a question that i always wanted to ask what is the BIOS for :

a- it used as a part in emulation as it is the Basic Input Output System

b- it is just there to prevent issues with SONY

c- it isn't used as big part in emulation but it do something ....

now -a- seems to make more sense because i had some compatibility issues with 0.9.5 whether i am using my NTSC or my PAL BIOS with NTSC or PAL games ( i had 2 PS2 now only a PAL one ) and you CANT run PCSX2 without BIOS even if you hack/modify it

while -b- on the other hand seems strong too PCSX2 is one of the few Emulators that actually require a BIOS or something else from a real Console

now i don't know nothing about -C- just thought of it ...

now i would like explanations about this matter

Thank You ! Smile

Sponsored links

[Image: 2rx8gma.jpg]
(07-08-2012, 04:41 PM)Game Wrote: [Image: 2rx8gma.jpg]

those emoticons will tell you my feeling

ExclLaughWackoMellowGlareTongue
IIRC, you don't actually go through ps2 bios if you do quick boot, full boot otoh, use one.
The BIOS provides functionality (libraries, drivers, fonts even) that are needed to start and run software on the PS2.
PCSX2 emulates the hardware but it still needs all the BIOS functionality to be there.
We can either reverse engineer the whole BIOS and write replacement code or we simply use a BIOS file dump.
First option is a lot of effort for little more benefit than it'd be more convenient to users.
Second option is easy for us, a little hassle for users but I suppose gives us lots of bonus points at Sony HQ Wink
Better save yourself from trouble rather than saving users...

I mean, there is even a video guide on how to dump BIOS, what's left is the user itself whether he/she want to obtain the BIOS in proper way or you know what I trying to say...
(07-08-2012, 05:35 PM)rama Wrote: The BIOS provides functionality (libraries, drivers, fonts even) that are needed to start and run software on the PS2.
PCSX2 emulates the hardware but it still needs all the BIOS functionality to be there.
We can either reverse engineer the whole BIOS and write replacement code or we simply use a BIOS file dump.
First option is a lot of effort for little more benefit than it'd be more convenient to users.
Second option is easy for us, a little hassle for users but I suppose gives us lots of bonus points at Sony HQ Wink

so it isn't just a tool for legal issues Smile

so the first option is already done in all emulators that doesn't require the console BIOS ?

but when the project was under cover ( not published yet ) didn't the devs at that time that we should make a BIOS ?

i don't think it will make legal issues since they will write it from 0 no copyright have been broken ...
From what I recently discovered "the hard way", info of the bios is stored at the beginning of EE memory for each booted game, what to be more funny FULL BIOS is stored at the end of EE memory(making savestates illegal to share?), and the games surely do use some stuff of it for some things.
(07-08-2012, 08:29 PM)miseru99 Wrote: ...(making savestates illegal to share?)...

psst, don't tell sony.

does that mean savestates can't be shared between users with different bios versions?
CPU Core i5-3570K@3.4GHz | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
Not really sure if savestates have the bios inside as I was lazy to check;P, possibly it just doesn't dump that, and even if, it probably doesn't have to as it seem constant(same for all games, doesn't matter if they're same region or diffrent one):
Code:
0x22004000 - bios binary(0x400000 bytes)
0x22404000 - rom1 first half(0x40000 bytes)
0x22444000 - rom2 first half(0x40000 bytes)
0x22484000 - second half of rom1/rom2(identical?)
0x224C4000 - erom starts here(but it stores only 0x1C0000 out of 0x300000 bytes, the rest isn't stored in memory at all maybe just a dummy data)
mec and nvm files just nevermind,(mec is possibly at different place all the time, but that could and probably is just an accident, as it's just 4 byte long and easy to repeat;P)
shouldn't differ at different bios as they all should have same size when dumped correctly(?)
(that also confirms that seeking cheats outside of 20000000-21FFFFFF range is a waste of time;P)