Yeah seems things have changed since then... Found this method on the internet (I guess you can just switch ulaunchelf with our bios dumper elf)
If all you have is a PS2 and some PS2 retail games, then it may be possible for you to install FMCB with just a backup disc. This guide will show you how to boot into uLuanchELF to boot the FMCB Installer. You can refer to the User Guides to show what to do after the FMCB Installer is running.
Note: The disc will still be spinning while you swap in the backup, so you risk disc damages to your original PS2 Game.
This trick started with 007 Agent under Fire , so i will use that as the main guide. Other games also work using the same process, but the ELF file and locations on the disc may be different. If you dont have any PS2 games in the list (below), then try the ones you have or a PS2 Demo disc.
My suggestion is to try games older then 2001, some newer games have a disc check and will fail to load the backup's edited ELF file.
Original retail PS2 Game disc
Blank discs - Use good quality
DVD Decrypter / IMGBurn
PC with CD/DVD burner
- Its just the uncompressed BOOT.ELF
1. Make a .iso image of 007 Agent Under Fire using dvd decrypter or imgburn.
2. Extract the uncompressed BOOT.ELF from the uLaunchELF rar and rename it to DRIVING.ELF
1. Use Apache to open the .iso image u made.
2. highlight "DRIVING.ELF" in apache on your right side
3. select "ISO Tools" from the tab above, now select "Change TOC for Selected File", change the "Size (dec)" to 915196, don't change the LBA. This is the file size of the "uncompressed BOOT.ELF". (if your using a different uLaunchELF file, right click the file on your pc and select properties, the first "Size" is the size in bytes. This is the size you need to use in Apache)
4. with "DRIVING.ELF" still highlighted, select "ISO Tools" again, now select "Update Selected File", select the DRIVING.ELF file that was ulaunchelf's "uncompressed BOOT.ELF" you rename, it will say "selected file replaced".
5. Burn the edited ISO to disc with DVD Decrypter / IMGBurn
1. Put the orignal ps2 game in your ps2 now.
2. play the game until you make it to the 2nd level which is the DRIVING level, then save your game
3. Return to the main menu, swap trick your original for your backup and when you select the 2nd level, it'll boot to ulaunchelf
You should now see the uLE main screen and from there you can install FMCB off your USB stick.
-- Ensure the USB stick is connected. Press O button for the FileBrowser in the uLaunchElf screen, move down to mass:/ and hit O, then move down to select FREE_MCBOOT.ELF and hit O to run it.