BIOS dump help
Sorry if this is the wrong forum....

Was looking at the BIOS dump guide thread and there is a part about using a CodeBreaker disc for dumping the BIOS.
This sounds like the way to go for me, don't feel like opening up the console.

However the link (here) listed in that section goes to that guy's forums I believe, anyways I can't find the download referenced.

Help!

Or... I do have 007 Agent Under Fire. Maybe a swap disc trick.. or how hard is that to pull off on a slim (SCPH-7xxxx) console?

Anyways some help is appreciated.. 1st time trying PS2 homebrew here.

Sponsored links

Yeah seems things have changed since then... Found this method on the internet (I guess you can just switch ulaunchelf with our bios dumper elf)

If all you have is a PS2 and some PS2 retail games, then it may be possible for you to install FMCB with just a backup disc. This guide will show you how to boot into uLuanchELF to boot the FMCB Installer. You can refer to the User Guides to show what to do after the FMCB Installer is running.

Note: The disc will still be spinning while you swap in the backup, so you risk disc damages to your original PS2 Game.

This trick started with 007 Agent under Fire , so i will use that as the main guide. Other games also work using the same process, but the ELF file and locations on the disc may be different. If you dont have any PS2 games in the list (below), then try the ones you have or a PS2 Demo disc.
My suggestion is to try games older then 2001, some newer games have a disc check and will fail to load the backup's edited ELF file.

Requirements:
Original retail PS2 Game disc
Blank discs - Use good quality
Apache v1.1
DVD Decrypter / IMGBurn
PC with CD/DVD burner
uLaunchELF - Its just the uncompressed BOOT.ELF

Step 1
1. Make a .iso image of 007 Agent Under Fire using dvd decrypter or imgburn.
2. Extract the uncompressed BOOT.ELF from the uLaunchELF rar and rename it to DRIVING.ELF

Step 2
1. Use Apache to open the .iso image u made.
2. highlight "DRIVING.ELF" in apache on your right side
3. select "ISO Tools" from the tab above, now select "Change TOC for Selected File", change the "Size (dec)" to 915196, don't change the LBA. This is the file size of the "uncompressed BOOT.ELF". (if your using a different uLaunchELF file, right click the file on your pc and select properties, the first "Size" is the size in bytes. This is the size you need to use in Apache)
4. with "DRIVING.ELF" still highlighted, select "ISO Tools" again, now select "Update Selected File", select the DRIVING.ELF file that was ulaunchelf's "uncompressed BOOT.ELF" you rename, it will say "selected file replaced".
5. Burn the edited ISO to disc with DVD Decrypter / IMGBurn

Step 3
1. Put the orignal ps2 game in your ps2 now.
2. play the game until you make it to the 2nd level which is the DRIVING level, then save your game
3. Return to the main menu, swap trick your original for your backup and when you select the 2nd level, it'll boot to ulaunchelf

You should now see the uLE main screen and from there you can install FMCB off your USB stick.
-- Ensure the USB stick is connected. Press O button for the FileBrowser in the uLaunchElf screen, move down to mass:/ and hit O, then move down to select FREE_MCBOOT.ELF and hit O to run it.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Is there a special way to pull off changing the discs? Or just press the eject button?
Not sure, I've read some 'special' ways but try it with just ejecting first
[Image: newsig.jpg]
OK update.

Just tried the swap trick with Agent Under Fire and a phat (SCPH-3xxxx) and slim (SCPH-7xxxx) today.

The swap works with ejecting, but it wont load the modified DRIVING.ELF, just idles at black screen when attempting to load driving level. Wonder if I made a bad ISO?

I found the site you copied from and it lists 007 From Russia With Love with modifying the NFS demo to uLaunchELF.
Will try that next time I'm at PS2.
Ejecting won't work. when you eject a disc the PS2 re-verifies the game

if you have the old one, liek I do there are a few screws under the disc tray (mine broke off) that you can remove, and you need to make a slidecard

ok, so you have an old PS2, that is good. what DVD are you using to make the dvd copy? (maker and type please) I use Memorex DVD-Rs
My AuF was a Maxwell DVD-R (you should be seeing a pattern here)

here's a list of everything I used to mod my PS2:

007: AuF
Maxwell DVD-R AuF with uLaunchELF exploit
PSP
Unactivated and garbage Visa card
Free Mcboot newbie package

@bositman: might want to add above it HAS to be a DVD-R, no other disc type will work
Oh... I used a Staples brand DVD+R. Found some Staples brand DVD-Rs laying around..will have to try on those.

Ok so how do you know if the PS2 took the backup disc? I'd expect the "Please insert a PS1 or PS2 disc" screen if the system hates you.

OK so I swapped discs at AuF main menu. Sound then cut out... then went to load 2nd level of game (1st driving level) and black screen.
(06-24-2012, 11:12 PM)extradessert Wrote: Oh... I used a Staples brand DVD+R. Found some Staples brand DVD-Rs laying around..will have to try on those.

Ok so how do you know if the PS2 took the backup disc? I'd expect the "Please insert a PS1 or PS2 disc" screen if the system hates you.

OK so I swapped discs at AuF main menu. Sound then cut out... then went to load 2nd level of game (1st driving level) and black screen.
ok, did you use a slide tool?
how long did the swap take you? (I needs to be less than 5 seconds)

seems you need to watch a tutorial, there are important points for swapping.

(I can't find one, I'll make one myself tomorrow)
Yeah would be nice if there actually WAS a tutorial on this anywhere. Seems to me people assume everyone knows how to properly do a swap trick.

edit: All I did was press the eject button.
Still would like to know if the console will let you know that it hates the disc.
I can show you WHEN, but not how using youtube. I use a slide card, and it takes some getting used to to use it properly

this is everything I use

(the ulaunchelf is an exact copy of AuF with a single elf replaced)

and a more closeup of the slidecard

what you have to do it push a pin over inside the PS2 which unlocks the tray.

how to use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtosI9ERpM8

when:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxQJCg-bZI

(he's using a slim, so it's much easier, but you have 5 seconds (or so, never timed it) to make the switch, after you pull the tray. takes me 4.)

this is my word of advice. Do not be gentle locking the tray back into place, it won't go any further anyway. your fingers should NEVER touch eject. if they do you're doing it wrong.

3 final notes:
1: skipping the video is IMPORTANT. it will freeze otherwise and require a reset
2: You will use the slidecard to pull out the tray, do not let the PS2 do it on its own
3: not all USB sticks work. I ended up using my PSP