Bad Cutscene Graphics
Hi, first off wanted to thank everyone involved with PCSX2 it's a fantastic emulator.

Basically my issue is that cutscene graphics on the two games I have tried so far aren't particularly good. Pre-rendered cutscenes and in game graphics look great, amazing even as I have it set to upscale the resolution 4x. In-game cutscenes however do one of two things. They are either really jagged or really blurry. Anyone know of anything that could be causing this? The games run fine and the in game graphics look fantastic but its just this one problem. The two games I have tried so far are Grandia 3 and Yakuza (which I ripped from the discs using imgburn because playing them in my DVD drive did not work so well).

Here are my PC specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB 1333mhz
GPU: XFX Radeon HD6950
HDD: 2x 1TB
PSU: 650W
MOBO: MSI P67A-GD65

All drivers are up to date, directx etc is up to date too. Here's a screenshot of my PCSX2 graphics plugin settings:

[Image: pcsx2.png]

Any other info you need let me know. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored links

Code:
Anyone know of anything that could be causing this?

Ummm the low resolution of the original FMV's itself? It's something you can't really "upscale" like the rest.
(07-13-2011, 11:33 PM)miseru99 Wrote:
Code:
Anyone know of anything that could be causing this?

Ummm the low resolution of the original FMV's itself? It's something you can't really "upscale" like the rest.

Some of the cutscenes look REALLY bad though. Like worse than they would on a PS2 I swear. Plus the in game graphics look really good which is why I thought there might be something wrong...
Well playing on ps2 = playing on TV and most of those try their best to make movies look nicer. On pc monitor well you see the true looks of them;P... awfull, lowres etc. graphic ingame can be upscaled couse what you see in-game is mostly textured geometry which is easy to scale, unfortunately PCSX2 doesn't have any movie filter(maybe couse there are soo many different types of them in ps2 games) soo actual FMV's look like you can see.
Ah okay, so I'm not the only one getting bad graphics on the cutscenes? Are there any games where the cutscene graphics look good that I could test out? Thanks for the help thus far man.
(07-13-2011, 11:35 PM)Ryukai Wrote: Some of the cutscenes look REALLY bad though. Like worse than they would on a PS2 I swear. Plus the in game graphics look really good which is why I thought there might be something wrong...

about grandia, i play that game the last year and i dont remember any garbage or weird geometry in da game, ru using speed hacks?
Talking about games that surely have nice FMV's I would say FFXII, but it'll still look worser than upscaled ingame graphic.
How about a screen shot of the REALLY bad cutscene?

FWIW - Playing on a PS2 with a standard definition screen (TV) may have been all fine and good, but put that low-resolution through a high-res screen, and it's gonna show it's age (and possibly seem worse than you remember).
(07-13-2011, 11:56 PM)Rezard Wrote: How about a screen shot of the REALLY bad cutscene?

FWIW - Playing on a PS2 with a standard definition screen (TV) may have been all fine and good, but put that low-resolution through a high-res screen, and it's gonna show it's age (and possibly seem worse than you remember).

ur totally right, and yet i find the cut scenes from ffx gorgeus, specially the dance in the river when yuna is sending the souls one of the best scenes from ff(including the dance in ffviii).
Right took a few screenshots for you guys.

Blurry cutscene (Grandia 3)

[Image: blurry.jpg]

Jagged cutscene (Grandia 3)

[Image: jagged.jpg]

Pre-rendered cutscene with weird flickering stuff (Grandia 3)

[Image: weirdflickering.jpg]

Blurry cutscene (Yakuza)

[Image: yakuza1.jpg]
[Image: yakuza2.jpg]

Also took some so you can see the quality of the in game graphics

Upscaled 4x (Grandia 3)

[Image: upscaled.png]

Native (Grandia 3)

[Image: nativeo.png]